User Tag List

Default Nintendo policing the availability of old software through emulators

Worried about legal action, 18-year-old emulation site pulls ROMs • Eurogamer.net

So, this is happening too, I'm usually sympathetic to intellectual property rights, even where the people involved are obscenely or filty rich, I figure its their work or good luck and they are entitled to their returns but I dont know about all this.

I can appreciate the concerns companies like this have about legacies too but I'm not sure that any kind of theft is taking place as we would know it, the hard copy media is rare, unique and not available to the mass market that these emulation sites are making it available to and keeping it alive as a medium too.

Perhaps they are worried that the availability of the software through these sites could adversely effect artificially created business cycles for the staggered release of new platforms and games and the designed obsolescence of older platforms and games? What do you think?

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    593 sx/sp

I don't have a good answer or solution at this time, but this is one more reason that outdated copyright law needs to be re-evaluated for the internet age.
    Likes Yuu liked this post

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

damn... that sucks...
    “The only intelligent tactical response to life’s horror is to laugh defiantly at it.”
    ― søren kierkegaard

“Most men are not wicked... They are sleep-walkers, not evil evildoers.”
    ―franz kafka

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    ― kurt vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Perhaps they are worried that the availability of the software through these sites could adversely effect artificially created business cycles for the staggered release of new platforms and games and the designed obsolescence of older platforms and games? What do you think?
    Yeah, that's possible. Nintendo seems to be fairly lenient with 3rd party and fan-made games. I remember reading once that developers like GameFreak and Retro Studios (all the Metroid 2 remakes) act the part of axeman and purge rom sites periodically, I suppose to the benefit of its parent company. Blizzard and EA (bleh) take a far more aggressive stance in general and don't turn a blind eye to its fan's creative projects. I remember that Wii's HD remakes and 3DS's Virtual Console and PS3's ports of old games was a pretty consistent business model for that generation. But still? I'm not sure if nostalgia alone is enough to pull in sales since there's Steam, mobile, and PC to contend with now - plus the growing trend of cross-platform titles. It's probably just property rights and milking that nostalgia with new paint jobs

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

They've always have people that try to shut them down but it never works because emuparadise uploads the files on severs in different countries that don't have the same copyright law as the U.S.A
    5w4,4w5,1

The Researcher