User Tag List

First 12

In challenge lies opportunity.
    Likes Consilience liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Why not sell it as 'unused', rather than 'new'?
    I think that'd be a very good way of defining the product, or "like new"

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think that'd be a very good way of defining the product, or "like new"
    I'd avoid the word 'new'. 'Still in its factory packaging' is another term.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    593 sx/sp

What kills me is that Bethesda of all companies probably isn't hurting. Maybe if they stopped putting out a million versions of Skyrim and focused on good original content.

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    I think it's ridiculous. If used sales are hurting their bottom line, they ought to look at their business model and question why people buy used games in the first place. A lot of companies are increasingly using gimmicks like special exclusive content/offers for preorders, requirement of in-game purchases in order to enjoy the "full experience", etc, and I think gamers are becoming increasingly turned off and buying games used. Then there's the fact that new games are just ridiculously expensive, often over $50 a game. Instead of preventing gamers from getting used games, they should maybe consider changing their business models. This will just drive more people to illegally download games, get them used via craigslist or elsewhere, etc. I imagine it will hurt stores like gamestop if more companies adopt this sort of policy, as used sales are a good chunk of their profits. If you don't care about big chains like gamestop, then there's small independent game shops to consider. There's a shop in my town that sells a lot of used games. It's probably at least half of their sales, so I imagine this sort of thing could really hurt them if more companies adopt such policies.
    I definitely see it hurting retail, which I hate as there are precious few retail already and I hate the high streets of vacant lots.

I'm an anti-capitalist and I dont make much bones about that but I grew up with high streets which were not deserted and derelict, the transfer of sales to online has really caused that but its a trend I dont necessarily want to be ramped up and I dont really like the idea of the high street being nothing but a range of different sorts of bespoke food outlets which will just render the public obese and ill.

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    I'd avoid the word 'new'. 'Still in its factory packaging' is another term.
    Amazon use "like new" as a good markeplace label and they've actually improved on the use of descriptors which dont match content well over time. It has squeezed some smaller sellers out onto ebay or other selling apps like Spock or Facebook but the remaining Amazon marketplace has become something good, even if its all charities and smaller amazon rivals now like the book depository (I remember when that was a reference to the Simpons and it was them and Afrohead books who were the big two).