User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3

    Default The Fluidity of Functions

    I am a Ni dom who instinctually leans toward the Ti/Fe judging axis, but as of recently (the past few years) I've been successfully utilizing the Fi/Te axis.

    Lets discuss. What do you guys think about the fluidity of functions? Do you see it as impossible? Unhealthy? Please tell.

  2. #2
    eh cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 sp/sx
    Posts
    7,395

    Default

    The functions are just concepts/constructs to explain 8 'themes' in cognition according to jung... maybe 8 ego preferences. We can all tap into each of the functions, but theoretically we each strongly prefer and lean on one in particular, and others to support.

    I think that certain situations can bring out functions we aren't 'supposed' to use, and certain roles or scenarios in fact require certain functions to most excel. I do think people can tap into other functions that aren't their preference, consciously, so I don't think it's impossible or necessarily unhealthy. However I also think that doing so in an extended manner can be very draining, or almost too foreign and forced to a degree, if it's not the natural ego/cognition preference. (The 'natural' would be a kneejerk automatic thing imo, not sapping strength, and obvious when the person is fully comfortable and in an environment that really suits their preferences. Vs. using non-preferred functions as more of a tool or in a specific scenario requires more conscious focused effort)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ
    Likes Tengri liked this post

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3

    Default

    @cascadeco I completely agree. This is exactly what I'm getting at. I use Te to excel in life; I honestly don't see how people can get around this unless they rely on luck to accomplish there goals.

    As for my "knee jerk" reactions as you put it, I myself definitely lean towards Fe in a social context, but I've learned to be more assertive you could say, or true to myself. I try to stick up for my values as opposed to telling people what they wanna here (which would be Fi vs. Fe as I see it) even if I feel uncomfortable doing so, as I feel rather disgusted with myself if I don't portray myself authentically.

    I appreciate the response. It's refreshing to hear Jungian Typology from a more lenient perspective; it seems most people get too hung up on the functional stacks as if we are confined to them.
    Likes cascadeco liked this post

  4. #4
    eh cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 sp/sx
    Posts
    7,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moflow View Post
    @cascadeco I completely agree. This is exactly what I'm getting at. I use Te to excel in life; I honestly don't see how people can get around this unless they rely on luck to accomplish there goals.

    As for my "knee jerk" reactions as you put it, I myself definitely lean towards Fe in a social context, but I've learned to be more assertive you could say, or true to myself. I try to stick up for my values as opposed to telling people what they wanna here (which would be Fi vs. Fe as I see it) even if I feel uncomfortable doing so, as I feel rather disgusted with myself if I don't portray myself authentically.

    I appreciate the response. It's refreshing to hear Jungian Typology from a more lenient perspective; it seems most people get too hung up on the functional stacks as if we are confined to them.
    Well, I mean, I think it really depends on the environment a person is in. If someone is trying to accomplish something in a work environment or with people who are totally opposite their own preferences, then yeah, working on trying to use functions outside of ones own preferences would obviously be beneficial. otoh there's always the element of whether it is a place you actually want to be in in the end; whether it's actually worth having to go against your natural inclinations just in order to accomplish or succeed at whatever you find yourself in. But then there's the fact that wherever you are, you'll likely be interacting with people who think and operate very differently from how you do, so being able to see where they're coming from and try to bridge that could be useful.

    Re being 'leniant', I dunno, I mean yeah, theory-wise, I do agree that we all have our preferences and thus it's most 'natural' and comfortable for us to stick to those. And, we may be happiest in doing so. However some people can use this as an excuse to not try to grow at all, or to not try to understand anyone else -- it's like two different sorts of people, one who completely embraces and is enraptured by/fully embodies their ego (lol) and sticks to that, no apologies, vs someone who is open to expanding outwards. (not saying the former is necessarily 'bad' btw) And, I definitely believe we all have the ability to 'access' all functions, just maybe not greatly, and not innately like someone who has that kneejerk preference. It's a matter of whether we want to or not.

    Re Fe/Fi and Fi tying to being 'authentic', I think it's less about that and more about just prioritizing self and ones' own values. Vs Fe prioritizing incorporating others more and including more people in their decision process. I say that because Fe users don't lack in authenticity; they obviously have their own interests and passions in life; it's just a different sort of operating matrix than an Fi user. Fe I think innately instinctively has more people in mind when assessing things; vs Fi has the opposite approach. (I identify closest to isfp btw)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ
    Likes moflow, LittleCat liked this post

  5. #5
    To think I was Kitschy Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx
    Posts
    8,747

    Default

    Yeah when I use Fe successfully for like 2 hours. I’m so wiped out I’ve been taken down by like it I’ve been snowboarding all day
    No time is ever wasted.

  6. #6
    not a cat Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    Yeah when I use Fe successfully for like 2 hours. I’m so wiped out I’ve been taken down by like it I’ve been snowboarding all day
    Not sure if I ever use Fe. What does Fe normally mean to you, if you don't mind me asking?

  7. #7
    To think I was Kitschy Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx
    Posts
    8,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lib View Post
    Not sure if I ever use Fe. What does Fe normally mean to you, if you don't mind me asking?
    Attending to other’s emotional needs and make sure they’re comfortable.
    No time is ever wasted.
    Likes Lib liked this post

  8. #8
    breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None
    Posts
    6,768

    Default

    What is your understanding of the functions? What do you mean when you say you used to use the Ti/Fe axis and now use the Te/Fi axis?
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

    -------------------

    Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

    9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

    ----------------------

    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984
    Likes Lib liked this post

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    What is your understanding of the functions? What do you mean when you say you used to use the Ti/Fe axis and now use the Te/Fi axis?
    Ti/Fe axis would be looking at values objectively (what the "group" agrees to be socially acceptable/fair/right), and using logic to rationalize these values within oneself.

    Fi/Te axis would be looking at values subjectively (what the individual feels to be socially acceptable/fair/right), and using logic to project these values into the world.

    Te structures it's environment to reflect its inner values (Fi).

    Ti reasons itself into alignment with what it sees as valuable within its group (Fe). Group could be anything from spouse, friends, culture, or even religion.

    Im also looking at the axis in relation to my most prominent function, which is introverted, so, my descriptions may be putting more emphasis on the extroverted judging functions since they would be my auxiliary. They also may be completely wrong Lol. Based on the information I've consumed and my actual observations of people so far, these do seem to be true though.

    Ive also had a complete turnaround since this post due to something I realized. At the time of this post my interpretation of the Ti/Fe axis was a bit shakey. I've actually never been to prominent of a Fe user myself, I was just mistaken my conforming/people pleasing tendacies for that (probably a weak Te more than anything). I still however feel Functions can be developed with conscious effort though. I don't buy the whole "your personality type can't change" thing.

    Sorry for the delayed response.

  10. #10
    breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None
    Posts
    6,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moflow View Post
    Ti/Fe axis would be looking at values objectively (what the "group" agrees to be socially acceptable/fair/right), and using logic to rationalize these values within oneself.

    Fi/Te axis would be looking at values subjectively (what the individual feels to be socially acceptable/fair/right), and using logic to project these values into the world.

    Te structures it's environment to reflect its inner values (Fi).

    Ti reasons itself into alignment with what it sees as valuable within its group (Fe). Group could be anything from spouse, friends, culture, or even religion.

    Im also looking at the axis in relation to my most prominent function, which is introverted, so, my descriptions may be putting more emphasis on the extroverted judging functions since they would be my auxiliary. They also may be completely wrong Lol. Based on the information I've consumed and my actual observations of people so far, these do seem to be true though.

    Ive also had a complete turnaround since this post due to something I realized. At the time of this post my interpretation of the Ti/Fe axis was a bit shakey. I've actually never been to prominent of a Fe user myself, I was just mistaken my conforming/people pleasing tendacies for that (probably a weak Te more than anything). I still however feel Functions can be developed with conscious effort though. I don't buy the whole "your personality type can't change" thing.

    Sorry for the delayed response.
    Good response. I didn't want to lecture you if you already understood things.

    Fe/Ti users can have strong personal values/ethics and not conform to the group. Fi/Te users can be conformist.

    For me, the fundamental difference is that Fe users are more connected to the external emotional environment, while Fi users are more contacted to their own internal emotional environment.

    I have written somewhere here about type development. Each function has two aspects, and we merely have a preference for one and the other one is subconscious.

    We never really get too strong in our inferior function, no matter how mature we get, but, if we work on our shadow, we can have some use of the opposite aspect of our dominant function.

    No one will switch axis, but one could make greater use of the other. A Te dom could start developing a form of Ti and become start creating their logic more, rather than use established external tools....

    People's type does not change, but their understanding of themselves changes. One type theorist I like argues that it goes during young adulthood, the inferior function asserts itself and there is a rough patch until it gets integrated into the dominant function (sometime before 25, when the brain is fully developed).

    Self-perception is a huge factor in typing mistakes. A person can see themselves as introverted and flexible and struggling to make friends, but really be a very outgoing ENFJ just failing to properly see themselves--- that was me, and I tested consistently as a ISTP, which, of course, uses the same functions as a ENFJ, just upside down.

    I am not a STP at all and my education and career path would be near impossible for a true ISTP, though I have enjoyed STP style activities at occasion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

    -------------------

    Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

    9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

    ----------------------

    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO