User Tag List

First 3111213

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    I'm not so sure anyone ever abandoned the "old" morals en masse.

Regarding effectiveness of morals, I don't feel qualified to speak on how effective or ineffective they are. My retort to you was based more on a logical fallacy that I thought you were making, namely that you seemed to be basing a judgment of "old morals" not on their merits so much as on the fact you perceived them to be abandoned by people--hence why I said "bandwagon fallacy". I didn't think that their current popularity (or implied lack thereof) was a particularly good yardstick to measure their worth and validity. It's somewhat similar to the "current year" fallacy. Apologies if I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

It does open up a potential new side discussion...how we should evaluate and determine worth of morals in the first place (assuming morality is subjective and changes with culture)..
    I might have tried to say too many things at once with my question.

Yeah, I think we should start with whether morality is subjective. Why do you assume it by default?

Quote Originally Posted by Lib View Post
    'sexy son' hypothesis?
    Very interesting. Definitely inspired by Nietzsche. That would explain why women like the womanizer types.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
    Very interesting. Definitely inspired by Nietzsche. That would explain why women like the womanizer types.
    I've never thought about that. But then guy's obsession over maneaters should also be explained using the same theory. In any case, attraction seems to be based on psychology more than on any innate mechanisms different from the instinct for reproduction. I might be wrong, but to my knowledge, we are not much different from Pavlov's dog in this aspect. Not sure how Nietzsche fits in the picture, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Lib View Post
    I've never thought about that. But then guy's obsession over maneaters should also be explained using the same theory. In any case, attraction seems to be based on psychology more than on any innate mechanisms different from the instinct for reproduction. I might be wrong, but to my knowledge, we are not much different from Pavlov's dog in this aspect. Not sure how Nietzsche fits in the picture, tho.
    Nietzsche believed that every living being was driven by the will to manifest power.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
    Nietzsche believed that every living being was driven by the will to manifest power.
    Thanks, I actually didn't know that Nietzsche had such influence on materialistic view - today's materialism is much more realistic.

But shouldn't will to power translate to instinct for survival and survival through reproduction? Human is a system operating within the framework of thermodynamics - none of us could defy entropy. What will there could be if you can't decide on your own emotions? We don't even know how our emotions work. Ignorance and will are two incompatible concepts.

Enneagram
    9w8 sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The problem with Peterson is that he is essentially another toothless tradcuck who offers no real solutions.
    -VIDEO EPHEMERA PLAYLIST

poet, philosopher, scientist, xenophile, anthropologist, composer, destroyer, douchebag

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Speaking of JP not offering any real solutions...

I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.