User Tag List

First 456

Most online games value twitch reflexes (shooters) or just playing faster and reacting faster than another person (RTS games) and also learning how the game is coded or exploiting the game past its intended design.

For example, Quake players used to jump repeatedly because the game had a kind of bug where you moved faster if you did that. My friend used to play cod 2 competitively and he would throw grenades across the map at the beginning (and sometimes kill the other team) and studied how the netcode worked - so he knew that if he fired before seeing the enemy he'd get a kill and they wouldn't see him (or something like that); so he could shoot before peaking around a corner and get a shot off around that corner...or other games you learn where all the power ups are and the best way to run around the map to get the power ups as often as possible...

I like games where you get to think about what you're doing and adjust to your mistakes and do better next time, if you die. More trial and error and learning from that. Dark Souls are great for that and I don't think I'm bad at it. That's actually fun. So were MMOs in the past before people were allowed to auto group with random strangers...

But honestly, I don't think "smart" people are all that into video games, unless they are getting something out of it other than entertainment, like money, therapy, or they are just intrigued by the story and gameplay, like watching a good movie or learning something.

But like...the games that make the most money are actually sports games...and they make most of the money off pay-to-win models built into the game. The gaming industry is mostly run by corporations at this point and they don't care about making interesting games or anything like that, but maximizing profits for stock holders. It has a lot to do with why most games are pretty shitty now.

sources@

Quote Originally Posted by ducks View Post
    Most online games value twitch reflexes (shooters) or just playing faster and reacting faster than another person (RTS games) and also learning how the game is coded or exploiting the game past its intended design.

For example, Quake players used to jump repeatedly because the game had a kind of bug where you moved faster if you did that. My friend used to play cod 2 competitively and he would throw grenades across the map at the beginning (and sometimes kill the other team) and studied how the netcode worked - so he knew that if he fired before seeing the enemy he'd get a kill and they wouldn't see him (or something like that); so he could shoot before peaking around a corner and get a shot off around that corner...or other games you learn where all the power ups are and the best way to run around the map to get the power ups as often as possible...

I like games where you get to think about what you're doing and adjust to your mistakes and do better next time, if you die. More trial and error and learning from that. Dark Souls are great for that and I don't think I'm bad at it. That's actually fun. So were MMOs in the past before people were allowed to auto group with random strangers...

But honestly, I don't think "smart" people are all that into video games, unless they are getting something out of it other than entertainment, like money, therapy, or they are just intrigued by the story and gameplay, like watching a good movie or learning something.

But like...the games that make the most money are actually sports games...and they make most of the money off pay-to-win models built into the game. The gaming industry is mostly run by corporations at this point and they don't care about making interesting games or anything like that, but maximizing profits for stock holders. It has a lot to do with why most games are pretty shitty now.

sources@

Videogames are very close to art right now ( as movies ), you have differents perspective for each types.
    When i was a kid i like alot of of sensors skill games ( mario 3 , zelda ,ect ) but right now i just enjoy good narrative and videogames that are closer to art ( Sony fanboy and terror games ).

i guess my motors skill are above-average ( actually spending more than 50k hours to play guitar and alot more to play the piano ).
    Videos games can be anything right now really ... from just a fun night to an amazing travel which can change ur perspective of how you see the world.