User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    FKE

How is the transfer of consciousness into artificial intelligence anywhere close to being ethical?

- - - Updated - - -

In my opinion, biological and physical systems ought to remain constrained.

- - - Updated - - -

Transhumanism really upsets me, but I don't know if my aversion is rational or not.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    FKE

Well, I suppose if there were more advanced societies that also practice this form of life extension it might behoove us to research it as well.

- - - Updated - - -

But still.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Schrödinger's Name View Post
    If they don't have human DNA, then they are not a person. And having a 'consciousness' doesn't make you a person either. I hate it when people think that they are the only beings with a consciousness, especially my teachers, they like to underline how 'special' that makes us. No it doesn't. Several other mammals have consciousness; elephants, dolphins, some monkey species,...

Though I should note that maybe it doesn't rely on the DNA for 100%. If it has the same brain structure/connections, if their brain works the same as ours (or close to), then they should be seen as a human.

This is kind of a difficult subject to me. Since I would say that humans wouldn't be allowed to control anything that has a consciousness. But does that make it okay to control beings that don't have a consciousness? Or because we think they don't have a consciousness? I mean, I keep my snake in captivity but actually, what gives me the right to do so? What gives anyone the right to take control of things that have their own will?

I believe that highly intelligent animals such as orcas and monkeys should be respected in their freedom.
    If robots will start to 'develop' a consciousness (aka; when someone is stupid enough to turn these things into living beings) then it would be a crime to still treat them as an object.
    A teacher once talked about this 'computer'. Apparently some scientists were experiencing with it, how they could 'give' it a consciousness, to 'remake' the human brain. But keep in mind... It will still be a 'computer'. By all means; there is someone who is literally stuck in a computer, they have a a consciousness, they can think, but they can't move. That's just cruel. (And yes, I am talking about a person now, since its a 'simulation' of the human brain, in a computer.)

The game 'Detroit; Become Human' is an amazing example of this topic. If there are some gamers who are interested in concepts like this, I would recommend it.

And in all honesty, if robots decided that we should all die; you can't really blame them for that.
    As children we were led to believe in the supernatural, so we keep on looking for it in aliens and robots.

To understand ourselves as homo sapiens we need to understand natural selection. A good place to start is, "The Selfish Gene", by Richard Dawkins.

To the waters of the wild Siúil a Rún's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

Yes, yes. Robots are people and one day I will marry one and give him gentle kisses on his shiny metal buns.
    I wish I was on yonder hill 'tis there I'd sit and cry my fill, And every tear would turn a mill, Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.
    I'll sell my rock, I'll sell my reel, I'll sell my only spinning wheel, To buy my love a sword of steel Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.
    I wish, I wish, I wish in vain, I wish I had my heart again, And vainly think I'd not complain, Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.
    Likes Hypatia liked this post

To the waters of the wild Siúil a Rún's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

I know Sophia the Robot has citizenship in Saudi Arabia. I would say that at any point there is a question about consciousness that it makes sense to err on the side of assuming its existence. It's a worse mistake to deny sentience than to grant personhood to a machine. The only downside I can see is if it is a machine controlled by someone else therefore allowing one person two personhoods.
    I wish I was on yonder hill 'tis there I'd sit and cry my fill, And every tear would turn a mill, Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.
    I'll sell my rock, I'll sell my reel, I'll sell my only spinning wheel, To buy my love a sword of steel Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.
    I wish, I wish, I wish in vain, I wish I had my heart again, And vainly think I'd not complain, Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.
    Likes Hypatia liked this post

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

It is the only logical conclusion, since souls objectively Do Not Exist
    tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers
    and you want to take her with you, to the hard land of the winter

the future holds dribs and drabs and not leaps and bounds...
    Click here for my 2500+ Enneagram Type List. It's the only valid breakdown for every enneagram type, wing and stack.

here for the only valid visual typing model of stackings on earth and socionics.
    here for succint enneagram type descriptions
    here for 100+ FICTIONAL EXEMPLARS, here for STACKEMUP vs. R&H; here for the SUPREME ENNEAGRAM PRIMER.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE Ne

It's an illogical conclusion, since we all have souls....
    Slytherin
    'Symbolism'
    'Art'
    'Ambition'
    Chaotic Neutral~

359 "The Tinker"
    469 "The Seeker"
    479 "Genlte Spirit"(ack)

Whichever