Results 2,411 to 2,419 of 2419

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    You might have not even realized that's what it was, especially if you missed the title at the end.
    That is kind of what happened, since I found the promo later. I was walking in and out of the room, noticed parts of some series promo with Aaron Paul, and totally didn't realize it was the Westworld S3 trailer.

The biggest flaw with the later seasons is the way they simplified the characters and made them less interesting than in the books, or even in earlier seasons. Tyrion is the biggest victim, but Jon suffers from it greatly, also. (In the books, at least, Jon shows more political cunning as leader of the Night's Watch and during his time with the wildings, even if he's still impulsive. But the show didn't really explore that aspec of the character as much as I wanted them to., so he really does come off as kind of slow. ) With regards to villains, I think Ramsey and Roose suffer from it, and certainly Euron. Arya doesn't come off too badly, and Cersei was enjoyable to watch. They botched Sansa a little by having her take on the role of "fake Arya," rather than showing her spend more time with Littlefinger in the Eyrie. I think the books will probably continue her journey in the Eyrie for longer. It's not quite as bad as some of the other characters, because she at least ends up in an interesting place.

The second biggest flaw is just the way they abruptly, in an unsatisfying fashion, terminated so many of the threads from the books I was eager to continue following. Like Ramsay and Roose, Stannis , the previous Three-eyed Raven, the Children of the Forest, Rickon, the Faceless Men, Barristan, greyscale, Mereen, the Vale, the Citadel, etc. The way those threads were concluded didn't shock me; it just felt like desperately trying to get rid of a bunch of subplots as quickly as possible.
    Yeah, and yeah. Kind of what people are referring to as the "Cliff Notes" version and/or just chopping things because they couldn't pace properly.

This image has been floating around the internet today, I can't much argue with it:

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Not Today
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

A tribute to my favorite character on the show.

A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

"And I tried to harmonize with songs," the lonesome sparrow sings.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

I FEEL ALRIGHT
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ

Season 8 was terrible, but I enjoyed the ending.

However I felt it left so many questions unanswered. For example - why the Nightking want to destroy the three eyed Raven, who is the fire Lord - is he a god or someone sending infor to the past?

Also we never got to see Bran proving his worth. At one point the entire story was revolving around his development, all for nothing.

Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Season 8 was terrible, but I enjoyed the ending.

However I felt it left so many questions unanswered. For example - why the Nightking want to destroy the three eyed Raven, who is the fire Lord - is he a god or someone sending infor to the past?

Also we never got to see Bran proving his worth. At one point the entire story was revolving around his development, all for nothing.

Sigh.
    The Night King was created, if you recall, by the children of the forest, as weapon to fight the encroachment of man on their territory, so they shoved a "thorn" into his heart and he from that point wanted to wipe out man and all human history. The 3 eyed raven was a depository of all human history, which was transferred to Bran, hence why he was going around with the vacant Doc Manhattan act. Also why The Night King wanted to kill Bran/They used Bran to lure him out to kill him and from there the arm of Wights he was leading.

It was the big event of Season 8 pretty much.

Also probably why they made Bran the king. Also there's a suggestion history in Westeros is cyclical and Bran is now doing what Bran The Builder did in the past.

The Fire Lord/Lord of Light is a deity, or just a religion arising from the misunderstood magic of Westeros, the same as the other religions of Westeros.

The only story arc I wasnt sure was properly resolved was whether or not the birth of the Dragons was the advent for return of magic into the world or whether it was returning anyway and enabled the Dragons being born, also whether or not the spy master eunuch guy was human or a summoned demon or not. Maybe dont matter but they were stories I wondered about. Like the destruction of the last of the Children of the Forest by the Wights and then the Wights by the humans could have been the advent of an entirely human social order, with nothing anomalous but for those other questions.
    Likes Riva liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Not sure the Night King was in the book, was he?

But yeah, the show never answered, other than the really lame "Bran is memory, death is the eradication of memory." Yeah, whatever. That answer scanned as a placeholder, then was never expanded upon. That's all it really seems it was. The NK on the show apparently was just a random boss mob who you had to learn a special move to kill and then that was that.

The resolution was not adequate to the BUILDUP, it was phoned in. I wonder how they figured out their plot beats. Did they have a writers group to exchange ideas, critique suggestions, and hammer out the plot points? I bet me and 6-7 others even on this thread could have put together a more inspiring, comprehensive flow of events and explanation for behavior... but we're not the ones who were the showrunners.

He did nothing. All that investment with no actual payoff.

Same thing with Jon Snow. Was that the only reason he came back from the dead? And now what does he do with his life? (Go north, young man.) It's not a way to build up a character for 5-6 seasons and then just doing nothing with him. I guess he took care of Ramsay, but he didn't even want to do that... and then he kinda just walked around looking confused and waving a sword occasionally without much impact even when everyone was declaring him King of the North.

There were a lot of things like that, being built in the first half of the series that was then just... dropped.

We didn't even get the answers to the regular smaller stream of questions -- like, Varys was sending out lots of little announcements saying Jon was the heir to the throne. Did it matter? We see nothing that came of it but the show acted like it was a big deal. It might as well have never happened based on the outcome, which wouldn't have changed. That's one of countless examples of threads started and then unceremoniously ignored. Writers are free to write what they want, but good writing (regardless of plot point) is cohesive and builds off itself.

In fairness, there is some expectations from the book that were carried over to the show potentially erroneously. For example, Cercei's prophecy of her death (the final bit) never was included in the witch's prophecy on the show, but viewers heard about it and were expecting the show to include it... they didn't. (So in fairness, it was never part of the show mythos. It blew audience expectation, but that is the fault of the audience and narrative bleed.)

it's irrelevant to the main through-line but I wonder what Daario is up to back in Meereen.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Riva liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    Not sure the Night King was in the book, was he?
    In the book there is a legend of the Night's King (With a possessive "s", not Night King like in the show), who was a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch who fell in love with an Other (which is what the White Walkers are called in the books), and together they ruled the Night's Watch and performed human sacrifices to the Others. Old Nan claims he was a Stark named Bran, tho according to legend, after he was defeated his name was erased from all records and was forbidden to say out loud, so if he was a real person his identity is lost to history.
    I FEEL ALRIGHT

Not Today
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    In the book there is a legend of the Night's King (With a possessive "s", not Night King like in the show), who was a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch who fell in love with an Other (which is what the White Walkers are called in the books), and together they ruled the Night's Watch and performed human sacrifices to the Others. Old Nan claims he was a Stark named Bran, tho according to legend, after he was defeated his name was erased from all records and was forbidden to say out loud, so if he was a real person his identity is lost to history.
    Yeah. The Night King in the show is a completely different thing. They never really go into the origin of the White Walkers in the books that have been out so far. I'm hoping for something a bit meatier there. There's definitely a lot more interesting stuff in the book about the Three-Eyed Raven (who is hinted to not only be a former Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, but a Targaryen bastard), the Children of the Forest, wargs, and blood sacrifices that the show didn't delve into that much. I think probably the downplaying of some of those fantastical/magical elements hurt Bran's story. Not to mention that I think Bran ate human flesh in the books (from the Night's Watch mutineers).

I think the stuff with Bran at the end will probably make a lot more sense with the books, given how they already go into much more detail than the show ever did about him (he wasn't even in a season!)

I do like that it's not Jon or Danerys. Remember that scene with him and Jaime in the first episode, discussing vows? That certainly has additional resonance now.

Like I said, I'm happy with the story ended, even if the journey doesn't really connect with it well in the last few seasons. It certainly makes me hope that these last two books come out at some point.

Hmm, speaking of the Three-Eyed Raven, I need to read those prequel books with him as a character.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

"And I tried to harmonize with songs," the lonesome sparrow sings.