User Tag List

First 13741874227423242364237223732374

Results 23,731 to 23,736 of 23736

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    As I said, I am truly sorry for your suffering. And I am very much for making sure mentally ill people are treated with dignity and respect.

I am not attempting to invalidate your feelings or experiences; what has happened to others does not invalidate your experience. However, you need to look at this with some perspective. Nazis murdered many, many people with mental illnesses. Those murders lead them to experiment with technology that enabled them to murder many more people with gas. Aktion T4 - Wikipedia
    Ok Luminous, you acknowledge that I had a PART of my life taken away from me because of my diagnosis.

Apparently, I need to see with some perspective. At least it wasn't ALL of my life. I should be truly grateful that I wasn't murdered due to my abnormalities.

Am I supposed to feel better?

Inhumane treatment is inhumane treatment. It's not right to treat a person as I have been treated, and many more have been treated the same way. The mental health system is CORRUPT.
    the lone star flies alone

MBTI
    dɟu
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Ok Luminous, you acknowledge that I had a PART of my life taken away from me because of my diagnosis.

Apparently, I need to see with some perspective. At least it wasn't ALL of my life. I should be truly grateful that I wasn't murdered due to my abnormalities.

Am I supposed to feel better?

Inhumane treatment is inhumane treatment. It's not right to treat a person as I have been treated, and many more have been treated the same way. The mental health system is CORRUPT.
    I'm objecting to your use of the word Nazi. The current mental health care system is not Nazi-like. If it was, you and I would likely both be dead.

I am sorry for whatever pain you've gone through. Obviously I don't know details at all. I am not doubting that you've clearly suffered. My point wasn't that you should be grateful you've suffered or to invalidate your pain. I just don't appreciate the word Nazi being thrown around in relation to mental illness where it does not apply. Because I feel strongly that we have to be vigilant to ensure what happened then does not happen again.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hexcoder View Post
    I didn't see it as invalidating at all, no worries...don't even see how it could be interpreted as such. I didn't think you were invalidating at all, I was just simply trying to make the point that it is not innocent obliviousness that just requires some patience to teach people. It also definitely doesn't make it any easier for people who already struggle with things like debilitating emotional experiences, excessive self-criticism, or emotional dysregulation. There's a reason so many people who struggle hide their shit from everyone, although that really just exacerbates peoples' ignorance...but hell, most people aren't willing to listen anyway even when people do share. The problem is not that people are oblivious, it's that when people try to have that patience and share with others all it does is backfire on them, even from those people that you can't just say don't matter.

I told my mother about my shit and she said she doesn't think I have what I was diagnosed with because "those people are bat shit crazy and you're not like that."

I told my former roommate back when I lived with her, because I basically had to in order to explain things like why I was sometimes in bed for days, or why I kept getting fired from jobs for symptoms, and she started regularly calling me crazy, invalidating my problems, accusing me of making excuses and of being lazy, etc...and I have heard this from a lot of people in my life throughout the years even prior to the diagnoses despite that I insisted some unknown thing was wrong with me medically...as if I'd be so fucking lazy that I'd lose jobs, my home, my cats, be unable to pay a traffic violation and get arrested, end up homeless, have my car break down and be unable to fix it--a car I didn't even buy for myself because I couldn't afford to and went without one for 5 years (and in the US it's very difficult to get by without having a car, it's a necessity not a luxury), instead of just doing what I gotta do or something. Wow. Yes, I'm that much of a degenerate that I avoid work to those extremes, I just enjoy ending up in a hotel I run out of money for with nowhere else to go, lemme tell ya. So nice to know this is what people in my everyday life think of me. There's not actually any reason that I qualify for short term disability and am on medical leave--a leave I had to initiate in order to save my job I was about to otherwise lose, mind you--now that I finally have pushed through this shit enough, and had enough help, to simply make it to the diagnoses and medical paperwork that proves I'm actually trying but I just need a fucking break in life and a little bit of medical treatment so I can function in daily life...which was already difficult as hell as it was because the US healthcare system is so broken and lacking in available affordable resources for mental illness. I went into a few thousand more in debt just to be able to get a diagnosis.

The other day I told my boyfriend about some experiences I had during an episode and he called me a pussy. Prior to that we already had a fight because he told me to just toughen up. People don't stop and listen to things before they are hostile, and you're lucky if they listen and stop being assholes after they've already been hostile.

I told my brother about some of my shit and he also just invalidated everything and accused me of making excuses. He also insisted that I don't actually need meds and accused me of things such as making irresponsible life choices for taking some medications (since they have some minor withdrawal symptoms--nevermind that you're already dependent upon them to function and can't stop taking them anyway and being without them is worse than the withdrawal symptoms half the time, you're just shitty for taking something that makes you slightly dependent upon a drug and has withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking it). Once again though, someone won't listen. Nevermind that medications are basically my last hope because I've been struggling just to function in everyday life to the point of being unable to hold a job for several years. Yeah, the problem must be that I haven't been trying hard enough to cope without meds I didn't have access to all that time, right? Surely.

Most of the time, with very few exceptions, if I open up about my shit people accuse me and treat me like it's my fault...as if I'm just making up excuses. These are just my family, friends, people I'm around every day since I live with them, and romantic relationships...people close to me that are supposed to be caring and supportive. Even if I did approve of something such as deluding myself by pretending that people who say things I don't want to hear don't exist, am I supposed to block out and ignore almost everyone surrounding me in my everyday life and just pretend I'm unaffected?

These issues are commonplace and prevalent before I've even gotten into things strangers who don't care or know me do or say yet, partly because I can't count that as my personal experience since don't just walk up to random strangers and say "Hi, I'm Hex, I have X and Y mental illnesses, nice to meet you!" and if anything I try to dodge it when people I don't know well ask me shit like what kind of meds I am having to take if, for example, I had to explain that I can't drink alcohol with them, or I need to eat because I take meds that require it (I just tell them about my heart medication only or something to evade), lest I become even more surrounded by the same bullshit I put up with from those who are closer to me...but regardless of whether I experience it personally or not, and regardless of whether it's comfortable to believe or not, plenty of it is still all over the place and I'm aware of its presence all over the internet, including here on TypoC. I'd be willing to bet money that people have seen my posts around the forums and thought a lot of the same things as the people mentioned above, but the thing is, I'm not only talking about those distant people in society. I'm talking about a society that shapes my experiences in everyday life, starting from the people who matter the most and should be dearest to me.
    Pardon the delay in my response, I was low-energy through the weekend & wanted to make sure I replied in a careful way. First off, I’m sorry you have experienced a consistent lack of support in your day-to-day life. It is reasonable to want and expect support from those you care for. I wasn’t suggesting you pretend people couldn’t hurt or disappoint you.

For me, I have found peace in not needing support from people with those emotional limitations to begin with, but it took me years to come to that place. Particularly with family, we’re ingrained to expect and want a loving/supportive relationship with these people. Hell, they gave us life. It’s normal to want to connect, and it can feel impossible to break away from that. I can’t say what works for me would work for others. For me, it’s not about pretending these things don’t bother me. Denial isn’t healthy. It just genuinely stopped hurting, because I finally accepted that some people in my life have limits, for better or worse. I can’t change them.

That’s much harder to do when it seems like everyone you turn to is limited, as you’re describing. I was fortunate enough to have a few good friends who offered me support/understanding that helped with that internal growth. It sounds like you are in a very alienating emotional environment right now. I can see how that can color one’s perspective. Every time you spend the energy trying to connect that doesn’t work out, where you feel dismissed, it’s one more drop in the bucket on the side of the scale that People Don’t Care. I think having those few friends in my life who were a constant gave me faith that most people do care, or are at least not outright hateful. Some are more wrapped up in their damage than others and respond to what they can’t understand with hostility, though. Those are their limits. I feel sorry for them, but I don’t feel like their behavior is personal, if that makes sense.

Anyway. Everyone deserves just one person who hears them without judgement. It can mean everything. And I really hope you find that.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.
    Likes Hexcoder liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENFp None

I'm objecting to your use of the word Nazi. The current mental health care system is not Nazi-like. If it was, you and I would likely both be dead.

I am sorry for whatever pain you've gone through. Obviously I don't know details at all. I am not doubting that you've clearly suffered. My point wasn't that you should be grateful you've suffered or to invalidate your pain. I just don't appreciate the word Nazi being thrown around in relation to mental illness where it does not apply. Because I feel strongly that we have to be vigilant to ensure what happened then does not happen again.
    I think it's generically authoritarian.

Nazi would be appropriate for ableist social Darwinists in general, though.
    DESPAIR

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

I still keep second guessing myself and wondering if Im blinded to the fact that Im being over the top in situations due to a baseline agitation being present prior to provocation exacerbating it. All the more reason Im dodging provocation.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

In my experience most of them really do want to help but are very limited by beaurocracy and a severely overwhelmed system with already few resources.

I ammquite happy. For the first time since October I woke up to the sun shining through my window.
    " Do something, even if it's wrong."

" I don't wanna have to but I will, if that's what I'm supposed to do
    We don't wanna set up for the kill, but that's what I'm 'bout to do."