User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. #21
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    20,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Anaximander View Post
    Some people in the ancient and medieval world fantasized about new islands and continents across a vast ocean, and while they may not have realized the distance and difficulty in reaching them with the technology available, eventually it became a reality

    In the 19th century, Jules Verne’s fantastical writings of reaching the moon seemed impossible, and yet his fantasy became a reality a century later.
    Sure, a watch has a watch maker, so the universe has a universe maker.

    The Frontier is part of USA mythology, so it is natural to mythologise exo-planets as the New Frontier.

    The USA applies the myth of the Frontier to many things they do, from high tech to going to the Moon.

    The actual Frontier lasted only a few years in the West of the USA, so the New Frontier is a religious belief based on myth. We have York and New York, and we have the Frontier and the New Frontier.

    And the USA trots out this myth as though it were universal, it makes us blink, and wonder, what do they take us for?

  2. #22
    Armchair Explorer Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    18,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Sure, a watch has a watch maker, so the universe has a universe maker.

    The Frontier is part of USA mythology, so it is natural to mythologise exo-planets as the New Frontier.

    The USA applies the myth of the Frontier to many things they do, from high tech to going to the Moon.

    The actual Frontier lasted only a few years in the West of the USA, so the New Frontier is a religious belief based on myth. We have York and New York, and we have the Frontier and the New Frontier.

    And the USA trots out this myth as though it were universal, it makes us blink, and wonder, what do they take us for?
    The UK practically wrote the book on taming frontiers so don’t even try to liken my comments to some jingoistic rhetoric. Total projection, and I’m getting tired of you repeatedly trying to frame posts of mine in such a way

    I’m talking about curiosity and the desire to explore the unknown, two traits pretty universal to humans which predate both the USA and the UK by thousands of years.

  3. #23
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    20,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Anaximander View Post
    The UK practically wrote the book on taming frontiers so don’t even try to liken my comments to some jingoistic rhetoric. Total projection, and I’m getting tired of you repeatedly trying to frame posts of mine in such a way

    I’m talking about curiosity and the desire to explore the unknown, two traits pretty universal to humans which predate both the USA and the UK by thousands of years.
    You plainly want to have an argument with a complete stranger on the net, so let me accomodate you.

    I will undermine you position by agreeing with you: you are completely right, not knowing is more important than knowing. This was discovered in our Medieval Period and documented in, "The Cloud of Unknowing", by Anonymous - even the name of the author is unknown.

    We can't know anything new until we first don't know. And we can't receive an epiphany from God unless we don't know.
    Likes Doctor Anaximander liked this post

  4. #24
    Armchair Explorer Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    18,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    You plainly want to have an argument with a complete stranger on the net, so let me accomodate you.

    I will undermine you position by agreeing with you: you are completely right, not knowing is more important than knowing. This was discovered in our Medieval Period and documented in, "The Cloud of Unknowing", by Anonymous - even the name of the author is unknown.

    We can't know anything new until we first don't know. And we can't receive an epiphany from God unless we don't know.
    That is reminiscent of some taoist and zen lines of thought.

    “He who speaks does not know. He who knows does not speak.”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO