User Tag List

First 12202122

Results 211 to 219 of 219

  1. #211
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    1

    Default

    White people should only be allowed to listen to Katy Perry.

  2. #212
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    20,567

    Default

    Troll on.
    Wake me after the woke go to sleep.



  3. #213
    Senior Member SirCanSir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    MBTI
    hmm
    Enneagram
    hmm sp/sx
    Socionics
    fuck Fi
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerix View Post
    I'm not having a visceral reaction. Please see spoiler section of signature. Until this is understood this conversation will not be pleasant for me. IDK, I guess I'm just candid and dry, I don't sugarcoat, so that makes me seem all emotional when I'm not. If anything, it's a part of me being detached and rational.
    Was what you meant that the existence of racist slurs within minorities creates greater distance from the rest and in a sense contributes to racism because it can come off as double standards? Since they are fighting against being discriminated but they also refer to each other in ways that make them seem like they are ok with being seen as different and want be treated differently.

    Its likely a cultural thing that was developed for the sake of unity so they can feel more protected and get a sense of belonging. Things are changing now but getting rid of something as relevant to their cultural identity which they may be proud of because of all those struggles they went through for gaining their rights will take a some time.

  4. #214
    Monster Chick Aerix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Posts
    5,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirCanSir View Post
    Was what you meant that the existence of racist slurs within minorities creates greater distance from the rest and in a sense contributes to racism because it can come off as double standards? Since they are fighting against being discriminated but they also refer to each other in ways that make them seem like they are ok with being seen as different and want be treated differently.

    Its likely a cultural thing that was developed for the sake of unity so they can feel more protected and get a sense of belonging. Things are changing now but getting rid of something as relevant to their cultural identity which they may be proud of because of all those struggles they went through for gaining their rights will take a some time.
    Basically, it's just a derogatory word that's not being used in a joking way like it is with "sup faggot?" for example. I understand that it's the same as saying "sup homie" or "my dawg" if you want to go to older slang, and is essentially a term of endearment. However, it demonstrates hypocrisy and the word is inextricably linked with violence and brutality. No degree of appropriating can rid it of that history and it's failed to be reappropriated which is the reason it still remains offensive in some contexts. Aside from that, it's incredibly clique-ish and creates division because it is a word that possesses unity of black people and separation from other races (since only black people can use it as a term of endearment) as though it's them VS the world--implying they are separate rather than simply human beings like anyone else without paying so much attention to race. So basically, it's something that feeds to the mindset that black people are separate from others still. To me, when I hear it, it seems like being in unity over lowliness; not because black people are lowly, but because the degrading word is something meant to imply that they are lowlier than the rest of the world...and it comes off as embracing that and bonding within lowliness.

    TLDR; the word has failed to be reappropriated and will continue to do so because its history is far too potent.
    B L A Z I N G . S E R E N I T Y
    πŸ™Ÿ 𝔧𝔬π”₯π”žπ”―π”¦
    | 𝔫𝔬π”₯π”žπ”―π”¦ πŸ™
    Trailblazer β€’ Lone Wolf β€’ Rebel
    Likes SirCanSir liked this post

  5. #215
    Monster Chick Aerix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Posts
    5,976

    Default

    So...

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    It has little to do with the word itself.

    You automatically shut down my opinion, and with no supportive reasoniong, just pure denial/invalidation...

    While it's wonderful that you would never use a slur or ethic or racial degradation - why are you so eager to tell people that?

    Then you begin to surmise and question my motives...

    Why are you are having a visceral reaction to someone out there calling someone <insert slur>?

    Then you assume my reaction is visceral, which also means no logical reasoning involved, while in reality you merely shut your ears to it by automatically shutting down my point of view...

    My original point was that you said - Hitler - the Jew that hated Jews - as some kind of self-loathing example you could also apply to race. That's not true, it is an entirely debunked conspiracy thought up by Hitler's attorney that was tried at Nuremberg and executed in 1946 for war crimes and crimes against humanity. Using this kind of bullshit to validate issues with black people is weak but it's an argument a lot of people make and yet another example of the lack of critical thinking and the incredible power of propaganda.

    Then you overreact to mere widespread misinformation that's been being taught to people for years.


    Why are you talking to me unless you're trying to start some drama?

    EDIT:
    Honestly, the more I think about it, the more you seem like you're projecting when you say I'm having a visceral reaction. I mean, what was even the goal or point in this post other than to personally attack me? This just makes you come off as a toxic individual.
    B L A Z I N G . S E R E N I T Y
    πŸ™Ÿ 𝔧𝔬π”₯π”žπ”―π”¦
    | 𝔫𝔬π”₯π”žπ”―π”¦ πŸ™
    Trailblazer β€’ Lone Wolf β€’ Rebel

  6. #216
    Member Klaus V.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Memories View Post
    1. Do you feel whites have a right to enjoy the music? Do you feel disdain when you see white people listening to "Black" music?
    No, I think everyone should have the right to enjoy whatever kind of music they like.

    2. How do you feel about them, say like the Kendrick experience, when they rap or sing it back, using the exact lyrics even if they used the N word in the song?
    I think the context in which the word is used matters a lot, and in that case, I don't see much of an issue with it.

    3. How do you feel about white rappers in general?
    Doesn't matter to me if they are white or not.

    4. What do you think appreciation of rap music should do for your community?
    Not sure how to respond to this one, so I'm skipping it.

    5. Is there a right or wrong way to handle this topic?
    Who knows, I'm not overly concerned with it.

    6. If you are comfortable, this is completely optional, what race do you identify with?
    I'm racially mixed and latino.

    I should note that I don't come from an English-speaking country, so my opinion is more of an outsider looking in.

  7. #217
    Member Klaus V.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerix View Post
    Basically, it's just a derogatory word that's not being used in a joking way like it is with "sup faggot?" for example. I understand that it's the same as saying "sup homie" or "my dawg" if you want to go to older slang, and is essentially a term of endearment. However, it demonstrates hypocrisy and the word is inextricably linked with violence and brutality. No degree of appropriating can rid it of that history and it's failed to be reappropriated which is the reason it still remains offensive in some contexts. Aside from that, it's incredibly clique-ish and creates division because it is a word that possesses unity of black people and separation from other races (since only black people can use it as a term of endearment) as though it's them VS the world--implying they are separate rather than simply human beings like anyone else without paying so much attention to race. So basically, it's something that feeds to the mindset that black people are separate from others still. To me, when I hear it, it seems like being in unity over lowliness; not because black people are lowly, but because the degrading word is something meant to imply that they are lowlier than the rest of the world...and it comes off as embracing that and bonding within lowliness.

    TLDR; the word has failed to be reappropriated and will continue to do so because its history is far too potent.
    I partly agree with your opinion that the word has some irreparable derogatory meaning, but I also feel like it's ultimately their right to decide whether or not to use it (not implying that you were claiming the opposite, by the way, just stating my position). Even if it feels clique-ish or degrading, it's their history, so to some extent I understand the value in reclaiming it and using it within their own circles. I don't think unity of one race necessarily implies separation from other races, different races still have different cultural backgrounds and ways of communicating; it's possible to acknowledge that and still respect and communicate with others as human beings. Besides, it's far too ingrained in their culture at this point, so there is some degree of irreversibility there as well. But I also do understand the derogatory aspect, I'm LGBT, and I dislike when LGBT people use slurs like 'queer' even if it's in a friendly way, but I also think it's their choice/preference, their feelings about the word are different from mine and that's ok. And I recognize that the context in which they use a homophobic slur is generally different from a non-LGBT person using it. I see the use of the N-word among black people in a similar way.
    Likes Aerix liked this post

  8. #218
    Guardian of Ga'Hoole Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    15,750

    Default

    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi



  9. #219
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    20,327

    Default

    Racism is making its way back into normal life, where we are less concerned about the content of character and more concerned about the colour of our skin.

    This new strain of racism is cool and has the importance of ideology.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO