User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Armaros View Post
    Personally, i wear a mask everywhere I go. But, based on the some of the top doctors and scientists, not all masks are the same. Without an N95, you still have a very very strong risk of contracting the virus. It reminds me of this quote from a rando website that promotes the sale of clothe masks, see advertisements:

"Myth: Other masks are more effective than cloth masks.

Fact: Different types of masks serve different purposes, but cloth masks are highly effective for the general public. The average person who is not working in a medical environment with COVID-19 patients should wear a cloth mask to conserve personal protective equipment (PPE) for medical workers."

It goes on to state that it's a myth that some masks are more effective than others, then in the fact section it states that some masks are not as effective as others, but in a round-about way loaded with political leaning.

To be entirely objective, if all masks were as effective as the N95's then why is the contraction rate among medical staff so much lower than the general population per exposure points? Why because of training and masks that are more effective.

This leads to a third point, masks without training is hokum.

Now here's a more official source completely counter-acting the claim that mask effectiveness is a myth:

Which type of face mask is most effective against COVID-19? | LLUH News

This is why people vote for Trump. Personally I did not vote, but it's because of the overt politicizing and shaming of people who speak in the name of objectivity, true science, not science as a business or enterprise, but according to the scientific method, which actually was around thousands of years before the advent of the science industrial complex (started by the Nazis).
    The answer to what you write here is already in the post you quoted. So all I could do is repeat myself. I agree that mask wearing shouln't be a political issue.

Other than that I find your post a little confusing as it asks questions already answered and sort of jumps back and forth in such a way that I find it hard to understand what point you are trying to make.
    Yes, the phrasing on that private business website might be strange if read the wrong way but 1) it's a private business, as you say, not the CDC, and 2) their phrasing is confusing because it's too short. They likely meant to say "it's a myth that there are more effective masks on the general market which you should rather wear because those are needed by medical personal and in everyday situations a cloth mask, although far from perfect, is the preferable choice" I already explained the reasons in the post you quoted.

I also have trouble understanding what that website selling masks has to do with supporting Trump or the scientific method or what the nazis have to do with the "science industrial complex" (what do you mean by that term and what is that interesting claim based on?).

It all sounds a bit incoherent, so I have a hard time following your thoughts here.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes Firebird 8118 liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    The answer to what you write here is already in the post you quoted. So all I could do is repeat myself. I agree that mask wearing shouln't be a political issue.

Other than that I find your post a little confusing as it asks questions already answered and sort of jumps back and forth in such a way that I find it hard to understand what point you are trying to make.
    Yes, the phrasing on that private business website might be strange if read the wrong way but 1) it's a private business, as you say, not the CDC, and 2) their phrasing is confusing because it's too short. They likely meant to say "it's a myth that there are more effective masks on the general market which you should rather wear because those are needed by medical personal and in everyday situations a cloth mask, although far from perfect, is the preferable choice" I already explained the reasons in the post you quoted.

I also have trouble understanding what that website selling masks has to do with supporting Trump or the scientific method or what the nazis have to do with the "science industrial complex" (what do you mean by that term and what is that interesting claim based on?).

It all sounds a bit incoherent, so I have a hard time following your thoughts here.
    Of course it sounds incoherent. When Newton was teaching his insights to his peers, I'm sure it sounded strange and incoherent to them as well.

All jokes aside it seems like we're on the same side of the fence here, no pun intended. Get it? Chickens do that a lot.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Some jurisdictions spread throughout California require them any time you are out in public regardless of crowd density or lack thereof. I don’t live in such place thank goodness.

As far as theatrics, it isn’t so clear cut. I’ve seen videos of random people causing unnecessary commotion over having to wear a mask, that’s silly, but it also isn’t too farfetched to see how much the media has played a role in setting the stage, pointing to non mask wearers as “grandma killers”. Persist with the narrative long enough and the potential for paranoia emerges with people starting to turn against one another.

The movie, “The Mist” comes to mind where the crazed religious woman stirs everyone up within the baracaded grocery store. People’s fear of the unknown overtakes reason and the mob is born. Am I suggesting we’re at this point? No, but there’s something to take away from the threat, fear can instill.
    The main problem isn't people "turning against one another" the main problem is enslavement of individuals and forced coexistence. Covidiots not wearing masks shouldn't be a problem because I shouldn't have to be anywhere near them in the first place.

"People turning against each other" isn't a problem. People being forced to coexist is. Being forced to encounter all these whothefuckarethesepeople. I already knew it's the real problem years ago, Covid just makes that problem more deadly than usual.
    I'm so sick of being surrounded by inhumanity and corruption.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Armaros View Post
    The problem with masks that I discovered by asking numerous doctors who work on the front line is that unless they are N95 thing-ah-mah-jigs they simply don't work. The virus will penetrate any mask that isn't of the N95 calibur. So for 99 percent of people wearing masks, it is theatre, if we go by the science.
    That's for protection from contracting the virus. Surgical masks are to prevent from wearers from spreading respiratory droplets containing the virus. Widespread mask wearing drastically decreases the amount of virus in environment.
    They've done tests on flights to Hongcong where arrivals have to take mandatory Covid tests and the masks drastically limited amount of people infected (can't find the paper at this point).

Another thing is that doesn't filter out enough virus to avoid infection isn't the same as doesn't work. Doctors aren't good source IMO. They aren't scientists. They are repeating what they learned when training how to protect themselves from getting infected by direct interactions with severely ill patients.

Most probably, severity of illness is related to initial virus dose received, at least that's what research on animals indicates - masks reducing chance of getting ill, and if one gets ill reducing chances of getting seriously ill:
    Does Virus Dose or Load Predict How Sick You Get With COVID-19? | MedPage Today
    So, even reducing the intake 50% may be a difference between mild and asymptomatic and severe and mild.

So, you have multi-layer protection - mask worn by spreader reduces drastically reduces amount of virus released into environment, mask worn by wearer limits reduces amount of virus taken in by protected person, distancing further decreases also the amount of virus taken in. So, even if one gets infected, there's much greater chance for being asymptomatic.

I follow this reddit centred on scientific papers about Covid:
    COVID-19
    I'm so sick of being surrounded by inhumanity and corruption.

MBTI
    na
    Enneagram
    na
    Socionics
    na None

I actually enjoyed wearing masks whenever I go out. It doesn't protect you from airborne virus or droplets but it will definitely protect anyone near you in case you cough and infected.