User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

What about universalizations rather than generalizations?

I accept its hard to generalize from experience sometimes, or at least for the purposes of abstract discussion it can be as most people do generalize from their own experience all the time, its a central aspect of social learning theory and part of why people can freeze in crisis situations as the mind is trying to recall or match memories to visual information, ie wing of the plane is on fire, which there may be no memory to serve as reference point for.

Anyway, there are surely universal realities, with little presumption and all things being equal. If there were not medicine and medical prescribing would be impossible.

While there will be exceptions to any rule, they are exceptions, sometimes the exception that proves the rule but it is still possible to decide or infer a rule in the first place surely?
    Well, I don't know if it's really applicable in this case. Two factors I see are, for example, that a) it depends on the individual(s), and b) it depends on environmental influence somewhat, too.

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 so/sp

Depends on the situation and individual but that would almost surely be immortality in this case (on the long run). Invisible person still interacts with the environment and therefore he isn't really invisible and still has all the physical weakness. While with immortality ironically can actually be much better in hidding your gift, or you can just openly play the "son of god" card and fight your way through.

In the case I have to take over the world I would obviously take the immortality. Although neither of those two is fundamentally corruptible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexcoder View Post
    Well, I don't know if it's really applicable in this case. Two factors I see are, for example, that a) it depends on the individual(s), and b) it depends on environmental influence somewhat, too.
    I would agree in so far as those things influence character, yes, although whether an individual is "naturally" good or wicked or "conditioned" to be good or wicked, would one or the other of those things prove more or less corrupting?

MBTI
    ANFP
    Enneagram

Of Invisibility and Immortality which would be liable to be the most corrupting and why? Presume by immortality is also meant eternal youth and vitality as opposed to an unnatural longevity or aging process.
    This is easy: None of them.
    People get corrupted by other factors, not by these powers on their own.
    However, Immortality without being able to commit suicide is something that might led you crazy in a matter of a thousand years or two, I think. For many people who were unlucky on life, for a lot less time than that.

MBTI
    INTP

I would agree in so far as those things influence character, yes, although whether an individual is "naturally" good or wicked or "conditioned" to be good or wicked, would one or the other of those things prove more or less corrupting?
    Regardless of nature or nurture, corrupt people make corrupt choices regardless of what tools are in their arsenal. People who aren't corrupt would use those tools for uncorrupt things. Neither of those powers would inherently make a kind, caring, and empathetic person into a serial killer or a rapist, for example. Different people would use those powers in different ways.

Nurture could potentially change a person into being less corrupt, too.

MBTI
    INTP

I liked this premise until you brought good and evil into it, which are too often relative constructs. I prefer the idea of corruption as "change," of the entropic decaying variety. Either way, I think the answer is the same: immortality. Invisibility (ironically) just assists in making the true self more visible. If people feel like they aren't being watched, they can let the superego down and be more genuine versions of themselves, but that plays on what's already there- it isn't much of a catalyst for actual internal change. Time, however, is a well known catalyst for individual change, so I think that would be a much more significant vector for corruption.

Reminds me of the old RPG Xenogears. It dealt a lot with reincarnation and religion, and if I recall correctly at some point it is discovered that the primary antagonist is actually the protagonist himself from a previous life whose body found a way to keep living for centuries until another reincarnated copy of him came along again. They had interesting conversations.