4 40.00%
  • Balanced

5 50.00%
  • Mixed / Hard to tell

1 10.00%
First 234

Blessed With A Curse Schrödinger's Name's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Grey View Post
    Some people are (or feel they are) very X over very Y- maybe disturbed that someone would type them a P over J, or S over N. Of all the dichotomies, the I/E one is the most disturbing to me.
    I wanted to rep you but the message is too long. Your answer doesn't really explain the 'why'. Unless you don't want to elaborate. Or if it's 'just because I feel that way', the 'cognitive dissonance'; people not seeing you as who you think you are. (If that's the case, in some way I can relate to it when people ask me if I have a 'boyfriend'. It feels incredibly wrong on multiple levels. Just an example.)
    Until You Decide What Happens, Everything Is Happening At Once

Blessed With A Curse Schrödinger's Name's Avatar

(Excuse my double post)

I was googling a bit and found this:

The paper is a bit vague but it looks useful in some way. (PDF) The Introversion-Extroversion Scale

Four types of introversion:
    Social

Thinking

Anxious

Restrained

Two types of extraversion:
    You can also take a brainscan apparently, if you want to make it factual™

Affiliative extraversion involves the positive emotion of social warmth and is expressed as a tendency toward amicability, gregariousness, and affection.

Agentic extraversion involves incentive motivation and is expressed as a tendency toward assertiveness, persistence, and achievement.

Though it's harder to find concrete information about different forms of extraversion.
    Frontiers | Cognitive Appraisals Mediate Affective Reactivity in Affiliative Extraversion | Psychology

Since I am not sure if this is the information you are looking for (aside of other input) I am not going to elaborate any further (limited time). But if you'd like, I could 'analyze' (?) you again through the definitions of introversion and extraversion above. (Or maybe I'll look further into it before I do so... I don't have the time right now to thoroughly search for information.)
    Until You Decide What Happens, Everything Is Happening At Once

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    837 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ThisName View Post
    I wanted to rep you but the message is too long. Your answer doesn't really explain the 'why'. Unless you don't want to elaborate. Or if it's 'just because I feel that way', the 'cognitive dissonance'; people not seeing you as who you think you are. (If that's the case, in some way I can relate to it when people ask me if I have a 'boyfriend'. It feels incredibly wrong on multiple levels. Just an example.)
    I've mentioned this before, but not in type me threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Clearly that ESFP 8 to the left is total bullshit. Wtf? Let me guess, INTJ.
    I'm not sure if this is a joke or serious. I'll just take it as the latter for all three of your sentences.
    恒星野神
    祓いたまえ、清めたまえ

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    837 sx/sp

Since I am not sure if this is the information you are looking for (aside of other input) I am not going to elaborate any further (limited time). But if you'd like, I could 'analyze' (?) you again through the definitions of introversion and extraversion above. (Or maybe I'll look further into it before I do so... I don't have the time right now to thoroughly search for information.)
    Any input, really, though, as stated in the OP: I would prefer personal observations as a member of the same forum, instead of links to type theory, unless the links are used to illustrate/pad your own observations.
    Sometimes people pick out parts of me that even I hadn't noticed.

I'll read this later- have never seen it before. Thank you for the link.
    恒星野神
    祓いたまえ、清めたまえ

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnal Snowqueen View Post
    I was thinking of how when 5s integrate, they have less of a need to be that sort of quiet observer and are more likely to really get out there and share their insights. 5s and 8s are both freedom seeking types too, so 5s often take up leadership roles like a typical 8 with their newfound confidence.
    If a 5 had 8 in their tritype, that might make this tendency more pronounced.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnal Snowqueen View Post
    That is an interesting question; I think some types are more likely to be extroverted and introverted but I think exceptions exist. In my head, I normally think of assertive types as extroverts, compliant types as ambiverts and withdrawn types as in introverts. Wings play into it too-I think of an 2w1 as being more introverted than a 2w3. I think the only set rule though is maybe 5s with introversion-because their whole motivation is to withdraw from the world to gather information in order to feel like they can deal with the world. But yeah-3 and INFP is supposed to be unusual for example, even as a fix, but I don't see why an INFP can't have any ambition. Why can't they be a quieter SP 3 who wants to run a popular Tumblr blog? Though, they do say that attachment types have the biggest variety of MBTI types. But then in my head an INFP 8w7 seems strange. Is it a very feisty and rebellious INFP who fights hard for their values?
    These people exist. I had an INFP student once who earned an "honorary INTJ" award from our workgroup for doing things like making especially blunt statements in inappropriate circumstances. Sure, it was a joke. At the risk of oversimplifying, what we observed might have been the drive to be honest/authentic often associated with Fi, coupled with really not knowing how his words would come across (Fi>>Fe). This fellow worked in the sciences, so had no problem with the stereotypical Te work/interactions. It was important to him, so he applied himself to it (as I must with Se), which was really just using all his functions together - as we always do. He definitely had ambition, but it took different forms than that of the stereotypical entrepreneur or status seeker.

I agree too. I just have no idea how it would present itself- I don't think of types as a combo of MBTI + Enneatype and even in MBTI the I/E dichotomy is the one I focus on the least. The examples you put make sense, though they more explain tendencies rather than a rule.
    Yes, each typing system should be able to account for a whole person on its own. The various systems simply look at a person through different lenses, but each treats the whole person/personality. That being said, what we learn from them can be complementary.

Why is it disturbing to you?
    Some people are (or feel they are) very X over very Y- maybe disturbed that someone would type them a P over J, or S over N. Of all the dichotomies, the I/E one is the most disturbing to me.
    I wonder if the answer to this can be found more in enneagram, as in: what qualities or preferences mean most to us? Being misunderstood on those is more disturbing than being misunderstood in an area that isn't important to us.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Saturnal Snowqueen liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    837 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    These people exist. I had an INFP student once who earned an "honorary INTJ" award from our workgroup for doing things like making especially blunt statements in inappropriate circumstances. Sure, it was a joke. At the risk of oversimplifying, what we observed might have been the drive to be honest/authentic often associated with Fi, coupled with really not knowing how his words would come across (Fi>>Fe). This fellow worked in the sciences, so had no problem with the stereotypical Te work/interactions. It was important to him, so he applied himself to it (as I must with Se), which was really just using all his functions together - as we always do. He definitely had ambition, but it took different forms than that of the stereotypical entrepreneur or status seeker.
    This makes sense to me. As do the combos that SS posted- it aligns with type theory though it doesn't look stereotypical. Why not? All that matters is that it does align. Another example I've seen someone make is ENTJ coming across as a -P because their Ni had foresaw everything and Te makes the shot once the target is in place, which reads as a weird kind of brash, bold impulsitivity from a J to those who don't know what's going on. This is why short behavioural profiles are very limiting.

I wonder if the answer to this can be found more in enneagram, as in: what qualities or preferences mean most to us? Being misunderstood on those is more disturbing than being misunderstood in an area that isn't important to us.
    I would say not necessarily- there are people who want to be misunderstood on a wider scale on things they consider most important. They'd consider themselves successful at hiding them, with only a few 'special people' being allowed in to see the truth.
    Last edited by Earl Grey; 08-02-2020 at 04:18 AM.
    恒星野神
    祓いたまえ、清めたまえ

Inactive For A Bit RadicalDoubt's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Question, though, assertiveness isn't necessarily an extroverted thing, no? Do I seem to do it in such a way that it looks extroverted? Imagine an exam proctor or librarian. They'd slap your wrist if you misbehaved or made a sound, but they are quiet people.
    No, it isn't, as not every introvert is passive/shy either, but if I'm not mistaken (which I certainly could be) to some degree assertion is associated with extroversion. On the big 5 facets at least it is, and I can understand statistically why, as extroversion tends to come with the ability to put yourself out there, control conversation, be willing to take charge and often do so. In part for introverts, the lack presence of these behaviors either relates to being drained by others (thus leading and having that control is an annoyance or drain/not desired or cared for) or relates to some sort of shyness in addition to that drain. You seem to be quite relaxed with people and reasonably able to take and remove control when desired in the sense that people don't really seem to drain you in the sense that they do for stronger introverts. You are enthused by time alone and thinking clearly, but not necessarily drained (or enthused by defualt) by social interaction or being forced to operate and effect the real world in that sense

"You can socialize," - yes, introverts can, but it seems that you are implying that I also do that in a way that seems extroverted, be it by the quality of which I do it, or the quantity. Which is it?
    Quality.

To further clarify, if I am not mistaken, I think I mentioned these qualities more as an example of why I thought you could be superficially seen as a lightly extroverted character rather than things that I thought made you more balanced in particular. It's really about where the drain and energy comes from, the external stimulation and people or by excess time alone and being forced to enthuse yourself with your own musings. Why I say you are relatively balanced is, although you seem to be more energized quite clearly by your own musings and having your own space, you don't seem really that drained by external stimulus/others and can navigate/control a social or stimulated environment without being exhausted in the sense that you can maintain the quality of those situations. Hence, balanced to light introvert and, by dichotomy standards, introverted I'd think.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    837 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalDoubt View Post
    No, it isn't, as not every introvert is passive/shy either, but if I'm not mistaken (which I certainly could be) to some degree assertion is associated with extroversion. On the big 5 facets at least it is, and I can understand statistically why, as extroversion tends to come with the ability to put yourself out there, control conversation, be willing to take charge and often do so. In part for introverts, the lack presence of these behaviors either relates to being drained by others (thus leading and having that control is an annoyance or drain/not desired or cared for) or relates to some sort of shyness in addition to that drain. You seem to be quite relaxed with people and reasonably able to take and remove control when desired in the sense that people don't really seem to drain you in the sense that they do for stronger introverts. You are enthused by time alone and thinking clearly, but not necessarily drained (or enthused by defualt) by social interaction or being forced to operate and effect the real world in that sense

Quality.

To further clarify, if I am not mistaken, I think I mentioned these qualities more as an example of why I thought you could be superficially seen as a lightly extroverted character rather than things that I thought made you more balanced in particular. It's really about where the drain and energy comes from, the external stimulation and people or by excess time alone and being forced to enthuse yourself with your own musings. Why I say you are relatively balanced is, although you seem to be more energized quite clearly by your own musings and having your own space, you don't seem really that drained by external stimulus/others and can navigate/control a social or stimulated environment without being exhausted in the sense that you can maintain the quality of those situations. Hence, balanced to light introvert and, by dichotomy standards, introverted I'd think.
    Interesting. Thank you for going into details and specifics as well as making a distinction between my cognition as well as how certain traits may come across to others, this is helpful and clarifies things for me.
    恒星野神
    祓いたまえ、清めたまえ
    Likes RadicalDoubt liked this post