User Tag List

First 747555657

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Orchid View Post
    Oh I only grabbed it there because I wanted to get the actual clip. I wouldn't go to this source on the daily. Also appreciate your PM explaining some things too.

As said, wondering if this is some who hijacked it to get some "woke" points or otherwise they think this is what they want and it is in fact very misguided.
    I don't think it's to score "woke points" per se. I know a lot of people in the activism game but most of them are not organizers. Unfortunately for a lot of liberals they feel a need to do "something" because if they don't they'll like lose their Look, I'm not a Republican card, I don't know. This morphs into many of them becoming political hobbiests. This means as long as it isn't boring, they'll do it and to keep it from becoming boring, they'll do shit like ^^ .
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Jazzy Orchid liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

George Floyd And The Other Men Killed By Cops That Day

Police in the US have not gone more than two days without fatally shooting someone since 2015.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None

To the whites who argue that cops also unlawfully kill white people: yes, while that's true, it's a whataboutism and doesn't address the problem. The policies and changes that would benefit the black community would likewise benefit the white community, so I really don't understand how bringing up that whites are victims of police misconduct too is an argument against reforming the police. That argument suggests a mindset holding that white and black are naturally at odds and says a lot about the person making that sort of argument.

A lawnmower hits all manner of plants under its blades. The clover and the dandelion and the blade of grass all face the same threat of decapitation.
    Give me clarity
    Likes ceecee, Powehi liked this post

blackbird, fly Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Ed Powell View Post
    To the whites who argue that cops also unlawfully kill white people: yes, while that's true, it's a whataboutism and doesn't address the problem. The policies and changes that would benefit the black community would likewise benefit the white community, so I really don't understand how bringing up that whites are victims of police misconduct too is an argument against reforming the police. That argument suggests a mindset holding that white and black are naturally at odds and says a lot about the person making that sort of argument.

A lawnmower hits all manner of plants under its blades. The clover and the dandelion and the blade of grass all face the same threat of decapitation.
    Indeed, I believe BLM has actually pointed out when white folks were killed by the police. I'm blanking on the name of the guy right now that was the example I read about.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Ed Powell View Post

I agree. Once a person justifies treating one person or group inhumanely, it is easy enough to transfer it to the next. It's strange to think of racist thinking as absolute and organized enough to not cross other lines. The people who have been the most violently racist certainly treat most people like crap, but are able to cross more lines if society gives less credibility and power to a given demographic. Bullies look for the easiest target - the one they can get away with mistreating. I suspect there is a huge overlap between cops who commit racial murders, commit non-racially motivated murders, and who abuse their wives and children. People don't cross one line and no others. Violent people cross every line they can get away with crossing. That's one reason why a society needs to give people equality, and a reason to provide the same punishments and restrictions for all violence, whomever is the target of the violence.

One fallacy I see with these arguments comparing Black and white murders by cops is that it often comes down to the single story fallacy. You can take two individual events to prove just about anything. I saw a meme placing George Floyd in contrast to Brock Turner, and then another meme comparing George Floyd with Timothy Coffman (a white, mentally ill man killed in a similar manner by police, but without media or legal consequences). You can "prove" two opposite ideas with these two memes. When dealing with systemic racism, one has to look at the statistics and big picture.

Circus life under the big top world, we all need the clowns to make us smile
    Through space and time always another show, wondering where I am. I'm lost without you. Journey
    Likes Officer Ed Powell liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Powehi View Post
    I agree. Once a person justifies treating one person or group inhumanely, it is easy enough to transfer it to the next. It's strange to think of racist thinking as absolute and organized enough to not cross other lines. The people who have been the most violently racist certainly treat most people like crap, but are able to cross more lines if society gives less credibility and power to a given demographic. Bullies look for the easiest target - the one they can get away with mistreating. I suspect there is a huge overlap between cops who commit racial murders, commit non-racially motivated murders, and who abuse their wives and children. People don't cross one line and no others. Violent people cross every line they can get away with crossing. That's one reason why a society needs to give people equality, and a reason to provide the same punishments and restrictions for all violence, whomever is the target of the violence.

One fallacy I see with these arguments comparing Black and white murders by cops is that it often comes down to the single story fallacy. You can take two individual events to prove just about anything. I saw a meme placing George Floyd in contrast to Brock Turner, and then another meme comparing George Floyd with Timothy Coffman (a white, mentally ill man killed in a similar manner by police, but without media or legal consequences). You can "prove" two opposite ideas with these two memes. When dealing with systemic racism, one has to look at the statistics and big picture.
    From what I've been reading it's called group-focused enmity (GFE) - there is significant overlap between the dislike of/mistrust in/rejection of/feeling of superiority to ethnic, religious and/or sexual minorities as well as gender inequality. If you assume or accept inequality in one arena you are statistically likely to also do it in others. There is some interesting research on this.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes Powehi liked this post