User Tag List

Thread: Linux

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    379 sp/sx

Default Linux

Okay, Linux lovers time to come out. What do you like about Linux, what do you hate, what distribution to you use, and why do you use it? Discuss

My blog

“For his mourners will be outcast men,
    And outcasts always mourn.”

"Ever love someone so much that you'd do anything for them? Make that person yourself and do whatever the hell you want."

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Falcarius uses Unbuntu mostly because he is a cheapskate, also partly as he does not trust Apple and Microsoft's security.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.
    Likes Everin liked this post

I'm using a dual-boot system with Ubuntu and Win10. I keep windows because of otherwise incompatible software, and because my scanner doesn't have drivers for Linux. I haven't looked into other distros yet. I started using Ubuntu because I became somewhat disappointed with how microsoft keeps removing options from Win10, and forces me to use their stuff. I don't need pre-installed games, I don't want to use Ms store and I certainly don't want cortana on my pc. At the start of 10 it was possible to disable most of it, but, as said, they keep removing options to disable that crap. I guess using Ubuntu is okay, doesn't take too long to get into, there's enough software alternatives for pretty much everything and you can also run a surprising amount of windows programs with wine, if you need to. But I still need to get used to terminal.
    Likes Everin, Falcarius liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    379 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by noname3788 View Post
    I'm using a dual-boot system with Ubuntu and Win10. I keep windows because of otherwise incompatible software, and because my scanner doesn't have drivers for Linux. I haven't looked into other distros yet. I started using Ubuntu because I became somewhat disappointed with how microsoft keeps removing options from Win10, and forces me to use their stuff. I don't need pre-installed games, I don't want to use Ms store and I certainly don't want cortana on my pc. At the start of 10 it was possible to disable most of it, but, as said, they keep removing options to disable that crap. I guess using Ubuntu is okay, doesn't take too long to get into, there's enough software alternatives for pretty much everything and you can also run a surprising amount of windows programs with wine, if you need to. But I still need to get used to terminal.
    Yeah, Microsoft's/Apple's crap is a major reason why I want to get into Linux. I've been doing a bit of research on it, and I find the ability to customize as needed to be very tantalizing. Still don't know too much though, hence the researching.

My blog

“For his mourners will be outcast men,
    And outcasts always mourn.”

"Ever love someone so much that you'd do anything for them? Make that person yourself and do whatever the hell you want."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I have Linux Mint dual boot, and Windows 7.

I got into linux to hack wifi while at work, back when I worked security... because I was bored. I messed around with a few other things too. It was all fun and games till I fucked it up by accidentally duplicating universes or something. Then had to figure out how to recover my encripted folder. (I succeeded btw) But hey, trial and error, and it makes me feel like a hacker.
    4w5/5w6/8w9
    Likes Falcarius liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I use Ubuntu, 18.04 now, and have for years. I have no patience with OS's that try to insulate me from the innards of the system or limit what I can do to it. I do like that everything is free/open source. I also like how most things can be done through a GUI, through the command line, or by modifying config files. The distros are much more plug and play than when I first started using it (8.04), and there are plenty of user groups and help sites when some small problem comes up.

I haven't had Windows on a computer I own for over a decade, and no looking back. Sadly I have to tolerate Windows on work computers. Win 10 is especially abominable.
    Though the ground was burnt and everything turned into ashes, we will revive again. The sky is still blue, the crashing waves from long ago are unchanged. This is Earth, our planet. This dream is in the hearts of people; so long as they do not abandon it, it will not fade away. For the sake of tomorrow, keep a song in your heart. For the sake of our future, let us stop our crying and stand on our ground firmly.
    Likes noname3788 liked this post

heartland values Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I haven't had Windows on a computer I own for over a decade, and no looking back. Sadly I have to tolerate Windows on work computers. Win 10 is especially abominable.
    I once ran dual-boot on a machine I had. Right now, I use Linux at work.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Likes Falcarius liked this post

I used to have a dual boot Ubuntu/W10 on my work laptop. At some point I got tired of troubleshooting, and now stick to Windows.