User Tag List

First 456

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    There are people, e.g. firefighters, who routinely put their lives on the line for random strangers.
    So I'm generally inclined to agree with you, especially on the west coast where there are ravaging forest first, but most firefighters where I live, given that there are about one two fires in the area a decade, sit around and drink beer, eat pizza, and bring strippers over on holidays. But overall, and historically speaking, before we had buffers against fires, I do get there is something heroic in nature about the profession, in the past, and in certain areas.

That being said, I'm reluctant to eulogize anyone on the basis of their profession. A firefighter who risks his life to save someone but doesn't want to pay child support or alimony or who cheats on his wife is still **** bag if you ask Joe. In the bible it says that god does good deeds through the devil's hands. I take that mythic-poetically to mean that there are no heroes. We are human and perpetually flawed.
    Likes Firebird 8118 liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    I’m not a trained psychologist. I’m fairly good at reading people. At least in person that is. Very few people manage to get past my bullshit detector as it has been at work for nearly a half century and I’ve met a lot of bullshitters in that time. I’ve certainly dated a few.

If I’m unaware that my love is unreciprocated than yes I would take a knife, bullet what have you for her. That doesn’t apply to anyone else mind you. If I’m harboring serious doubt I don’t think I’d remain in the relationship but I don’t think anyone can ever be 100% sure of a person’s true nature either. I’m more than capable of existing alone if necessary and have done so for years at a time.

I’m not sure if that yielded a useful answer or not. I suppose that depends on what you had hoped to learn. It’s late and I’m quickly running out of wit.
    Yes..thank you stranger. My hat is off to you. Half a century? You're still a baby.
    Likes Population: 1 liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Armaros View Post
    So I'm generally inclined to agree with you, especially on the west coast where there are ravaging forest first, but most firefighters where I live, given that there are about one two fires in the area a decade, sit around and drink beer, eat pizza, and bring strippers over on holidays. But overall, and historically speaking, before we had buffers against fires, I do get there is something heroic in nature about the profession, in the past, and in certain areas.

That being said, I'm reluctant to eulogize anyone on the basis of their profession. A firefighter who risks his life to save someone but doesn't want to pay child support or alimony or who cheats on his wife is still **** bag if you ask Joe. In the bible it says that god does good deeds through the devil's hands. I take that mythic-poetically to mean that there are no heroes. We are human and perpetually flawed.
    You asked about the willingness of one person to die for another. If these firefighters will risk their lives for another those one or two times a year (I suspect it is more), they fall into that category regardless of what they are doing the rest of the time. It is a question of behavior in a situation, not profession, though certain professions will encounter those situations more often than others. Perhaps every human is capable of what we usually consider heroism under the right conditions.
    “All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”– Douglas Adams
    Likes Firebird 8118, dunce liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Perhaps. I suppose that's what I was getting in painting the picture that I did. They are still vulgar as the rest of us and we are as heroic as they are.
    Likes Firebird 8118 liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    279 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Armaros View Post
    Perhaps. I suppose that's what I was getting in painting the picture that I did. They are still vulgar as the rest of us and we are as heroic as they are.
    The way I see it is, God (or the Divine, or love, or whatever you want to call it) is always found in both the profane and the profound.

Basically, (most) saints and sinners alike are capable of selfless acts of love.
    “The world breaks everyone, then some become strong at the broken places.” ~Ernest Hemingway

Johari: https://kevan.org/johari?name=~MS*ANGEL~
    Nohari: https://kevan.org/nohari?name=~MS*ANGEL~

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    "And then, raising my lids slowly and looking out from underneath my lashes, i captured him with my eyes"
    Likes dunce liked this post