User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by ??? View Post
    Well, I live in a cement block house and I don't think a 556 AR round is going to go through that. I could be wrong though.
    Irrelevant to the interior walls and doesn't take into consideration the windows. Lemme guess. You have no windows and all your interior walls are cement blocks, right?

MBTI
    INTP

Why is a trained soldier asking a bunch of millennial nerds for firearm advice?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

So I live in a shady area. I chose to live here because the housing prices were reasonable and I wouldn't need a loan. I love my house and most of the people are alright, but lately there have been shootings and break-ins around the area related to drugs. And the back of my neighborhood is known for drug dealing.

That all said, I've decided to buy a gun for home defense. I have experience with a M4, M9 Beretta, some AK47 (I don't know what kind it was), and a Keltech KSG. Since I have military training, I could also get a concealed weapon permit, but I'm not sure how practical it is to carry around a gun all the time...and despite being a veteran, I'm not really big on guns and don't own even one. I did like going to the range with a 240B, but that's illegal and an offensive/suppressive weapon, lol.

I think I want some kind of AR type weapon with a short muzzle for close-quarter 3-points-of-contact accuracy, but maybe a pistol is more practical? Maybe an AK47 would work better, but I don't know much about them either.

This might not be the best place to ask this, but I'm curious if there are any gun nuts with some good advice/recommendations.
    Is it just you or are there other occupants to worry about?

An AK-47 would be perfect if your neighborhood was somewhere like Afghanistan or Syria.

Quote Originally Posted by rav3n View Post
    Anything with serious fire power will cut through walls like butter.
    How are you defining serious firepower?

The only thing with a shotgun is it sprays everywhere. I can't imagine the damage that would do to the house.
    It would probably depend some on the ammo and the choke. If it was indoors and a range of maybe a few yards, the pellets wouldn't necessarily have a chance to get too terribly spread out. There are videos out there of people shooting birdshot/buckshot into targets at different distances with different chokes to see what the dispersion is like.

Well, I live in a cement block house and I don't think a 556 AR round is going to go through that. I could be wrong though.
    For breaking down walls like that you'd probably want that 240 or a .50 BMG.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz
    Likes ??? liked this post

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by rav3n View Post
    Irrelevant to the interior walls and doesn't take into consideration the windows. Lemme guess. You have no windows and all your interior walls are cement blocks, right?
    1. I live alone.
    2. 556 isn't serious firepower.
    3. I have thick hurricane windows, which supposedly could stop small caliber rounds like 556 AR rounds. Although that's not what I bought them for.
    4. I'm a Mandalorian.
    5. Can't we just be friends?

Quote Originally Posted by anticlimatic View Post
    Why is a trained soldier asking a bunch of millennial nerds for firearm advice?
    This might not be the best place to ask this, but I'm curious if there are any gun nuts with some good advice/recommendations.
    Why do millennial nerds not bother to read OPs, but respond (un)critically anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    Is it just you or are there other occupants to worry about?
    Just me. Though I might get a cat.

An AK-47 would be perfect if your neighborhood was somewhere like Afghanistan or Syria.
    Perfect might not be the right word. I think it's required.
    Perfect is not having to live there perhaps.

It would probably depend some on the ammo and the choke. If it was indoors and a range of maybe a few yards, the pellets wouldn't necessarily have a chance to get too terribly spread out. There are videos out there of people shooting birdshot/buckshot into targets at different distances with different chokes to see what the dispersion is like.
    I'm kind of torn between wanting to be sure they stay down with a bullet and using rock salt. I'm leaing towards -> if someone 'isn't' intimidated by a loaded rifle pointed at them, then they probably deserve to get shot? over using a rock salt shotgun. I guess the idea of the gun is maybe I wouldn't even have to use it.

For breaking down walls like that you'd probably want that 240 or a .50 BMG.

I can't imagine what that would do to a body. I've heard of warthogs gunning people down in a field and people say there is nothing left afterwards. Just a spray of red.
    We are Bob.

1. I live alone.
    2. 556 isn't serious firepower.
    3. I have thick hurricane windows, which supposedly could stop small caliber rounds like 556 AR rounds. Although that's not what I bought them for.
    4. I'm a Mandalorian.
    5. Can't we just be friends?
    Guess again. The AR-15 went through two storm windows in a row and stopped at the third one.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ?

So I'm not sure what kind of hurricane glass they used in the video, but the windows come in different thicknesses and types. Mine is double-pan, the thickest they had, and the most expensive, rated for category 5.
    But Okay, let's assume a 556 could go through it. So what's your recommendation for home defense then?
    We are Bob.