User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    I always got that impression, when visiting DC, that places like the Lincoln Memorial and Jefferson Memorial almost felt like temples to American demigods. We're not all that unlike the pre-Christian romans, who would proclaim emperors to be divine.
    I'm quite sure Trump agrees with the divinity his hardcore supporters claim on his behalf.

But yes I think in DC it's all about making Washington or Jefferson immortal (although it never felt that way at Mt. Vernon or Monticello to me). Maybe it explains the fascination with British monarchy too - we don't have one so we embrace it with the usual American voyeurism.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I'm quite sure Trump agrees with the divinity his hardcore supporters claim on his behalf.

But yes I think in DC it's all about making Washington or Jefferson immortal (although it never felt that way at Mt. Vernon or Monticello to me). Maybe it explains the fascination with British monarchy too - we don't have one so we embrace it with the usual American voyeurism.
    For whatever it's worth, my impression of visiting Mt Rushmore is that it is far more about Gutzon Borglum (the artist) than the presidents. And Jefferson's ice cream recipe, which is served there. Of course, that may just be what I paid attention to... that and hoping to see mountain goats...
    ✦ᏖᏒᎥᎮ ค ℓιɬɬℓɛ Ꮭıɠɧɬ ʄคŋɬคʂɬıƈ✦ -: ✦ :- ƒ O ᖇ G E ᗪ I ᑎ ƒ I ᖇ E ❋-: ✦ :-★ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ꜰᴇᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴇʟꜱ★
    * ・゚ ・゚ * ⊱9w1✶S✶2w1✶X✶5w6⊰ * ・゚ ・゚ *
    ✦Շђєяє คяє ๓σяє тнιηﻭѕ ιη нєανєη αη∂ єαятн Շђαη คяє ∂яєαмт σƒ ιη уσυя ρнιℓσѕσρну.✦

A Bittersweet Symphony... The Cat's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    478 so/sx

Mt Rushmore makes me angry.
    I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    For whatever it's worth, my impression of visiting Mt Rushmore is that it is far more about Gutzon Borglum (the artist) than the presidents. And Jefferson's ice cream recipe, which is served there. Of course, that may just be what I paid attention to... that and hoping to see mountain goats...
    I visited as a teen but I'm fine never returning. It may have more to do with my feelings on the location. Or that Borglum was a a KKK member with Nordic moral superiority and deep hatred for immigrants and so few seem to be aware of that.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes The Cat liked this post