User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    I didn't say anything about vocation. I said personal experience.
    You said “priests.” Priesthood is a vocation. You asserted that they had not one iota of personal experience regarding marriage because they’re all allegedly celibate. In Orthodoxy not all priests are celibate, so it’s entirely possible for him to have spoken with married priests on the subject of marriage, as well as his congregation which consists of...families. Every Orthodox priest I've come across has been married, my own included, except for one whom is a "Heiromonk" which is to say a "Priest-monk." (which is what St. John Chrysostom would've been)

St John Chrysostom was the Patriarch/Bishop of Constantinople. In Orthodoxy, only monks can become Bishops, so he was most definitely not married, or if he was he no longer was when he took his monastic vows.

Clerical celibacy was implemented later by the Roman Papacy well after St John’s time and would only apply to Roman Catholic priests after the schism of 1054, but would exclude "Uniate" priests.

All of this does not preclude one from having insights into aspects of life they may or may not have personal experience with. This forum is chock full of "political experts" with little to no political experience, for example.
    χρήστος ανέστη

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Justin of Flavia Neapolis
    You said “priests.” Priesthood is a vocation.
    And apples are fruit. That doesn't mean that if I bring up apples, I must be discussing fruit in general.

You asserted that they had not one iota of personal experience regarding marriage because they’re all allegedly celibate. In Orthodoxy not all priests are celibate, so it’s entirely possible for him to have spoken with married priests on the subject of marriage, as well as his congregation which consists of...families. Every Orthodox priest I've come across has been married, my own included, except for one whom is a "Heiromonk" which is to say a "Priest-monk." (which is what St. John Chrysostom would've been)
    It should be evident that I was referring to the type of priest who is forbidden by his church to marry. For example, Catholic priests.

All of this does not preclude one from having insights into aspects of life they may or may not have personal experience with.
    No, not necessarily. But it doesn't put one in an ideal position, either. In fact, it puts one in as disadvantaged a position as one could possibly occupy. For people in that position to characterize themselves as foremost experts on the matter is fairly ludicrous. No one is more capable of understanding the workings of a thing than someone who has directly dealt with it. Think about it this way: would you go to a mechanic who has worked with automobiles, or one who hasn't? And what would you think if a mechanic who has never worked with an automobile proclaimed himself to be in possession of more expansive knowledge on the subject than anyone with direct experience? No one would trust such a mechanic. And yet countless people consider the Pope to be a special authority on marriage, an authority more versed on the subject, in fact, than any currently or previously married person.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

@Polaris, I think it’s pretty clear from your first post that you weren’t aware I was coming from an Orthodox worldview and that the existence of our married priests must’ve been a new revelation for you. You just assumed I was Roman Catholic, and so we must both be talking about celibate Roman Catholic priests. Not your fault, but mine for not specifying in the OP.

Your last paragraph is somewhat on-point regarding the context, though. Are you married/been married before?
    χρήστος ανέστη

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Are you married/been married before?
    No, and no again. I don't, in fact, particularly approve of marriage. Beyond the legal benefits it confers upon the participants, I don't see anything good about it.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    No, and no again. I don't, in fact, particularly approve of marriage. Beyond the legal benefits it confers upon the participants, I don't see anything good about it.
    I kind of figured that. Probably not your market, this thread.
    χρήστος ανέστη

Quote Originally Posted by Justin of Flavia Neapolis View Post
    Sounds like an endorsement of gay marriage. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Sounds like an endorsement of gay marriage. Cool.
    If it were, “gay marriage” wouldn’t need that qualifier.
    χρήστος ανέστη

Quote Originally Posted by Justin of Flavia Neapolis View Post
    If it were, “gay marriage” wouldn’t need that qualifier.
    It doesn't. But he obviously didn't know that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    It doesn't. But he obviously didn't know that yet.
    Ok. Yes ❤️☦️
    χρήστος ανέστη