MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    749 so/sx

Default So brave...

Bravery.
    Courage.
    What is it?
    Dictionaries have the technics, thesauruses have the synonyms.

And of course society and culture has it's judgements.

But what makes us brave? Do any of us have courage?
    What does it mean to be brave?

Many said that Caitlin Jenner is brave. Many say she isn't.

There are extremists on all sides. But what of the balance?

What do you consider brave? Do you consider yourself brave?
    With all due respect,
    Eryn Silverfrond;
    of the Gentleman Jacks.

We're all Faery Tales; after a fashion,
    Our stories unfolding around us...
    and through us...

Our Sky Father and our Earth Mother are dancing.

Life is a chrysalis.
    The dreams of butterflies cocooned in the womb of becoming.

Likes Luminous, Lord Lavender liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It can be hard to describe.

To me, it involves confronting a situation/circumstance that is "unsafe" in some way... where you feel fear because of potential loss and/or death, and yet you choose to do it anyway because you believe or understand that the overall gain (even if it is not a gain for you) is worth the risk. Maybe the "loss" is even guaranteed if you move ahead (like, maybe you need to "change something about yourself" and embrace a "you" that is unfamiliar to you), but you see the risk as essential to future benefit, so you do it regardless. Sometimes you are even aware you will not be the person to benefit from the risk you are taken (e.g., a soldier fighting a war to defend their country, stepping up when you see someone being victimized, etc.) but you step up anyway. [George McFly from "Back to the Future" -- Lorraine is being assaulted by Biff, he knows he's going to get his butt kicked like every other time... and there's that wonderful moment where he chooses to stay and fight rather than walking away. It's a character-builder/courageous moment and filters through his future.]

In a way, you could say it revolves around higher logic, self-awareness, and conscious choice. If there is no choice/awareness of choice, then it's not really bravery (?). The animal instinct is fight or flee; those who are self-aware can choose a course of action regardless of instinct, placing higher priorities in play.

I have mixed feelings about Caitlin Jenner. Putting it in a spoiler because it's kind of a side topic...

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Lord Lavender, Eryn Silverfrond liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    952 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII Fi

I think facing something which causes us anxiety due to fear or uncertainty or danger is bravery. Allowing ourselves to be vulnerable is bravery.
    ✦ᏖᏒᎥᎮ ค ℓιɬɬℓɛ Ꮭıɠɧɬ ʄคŋɬคʂɬıƈ✦ -: ✦ :- ƒ O ᖇ G E ᗪ I ᑎ ƒ I ᖇ E ❋-: ✦ :-★ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ꜰᴇᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴇʟꜱ★
    ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵✧ * ・゚ ・゚ * ⊱9w1✶S✶5w4✶X✶2w1⊰ * ・゚ ・゚ * ✧‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵
    ✦Շђєяє คяє ๓σяє тнιηﻭѕ ιη нєανєη αη∂ єαятн Շђαη คяє ∂яєαмт σƒ ιη уσυя ρнιℓσѕσρну.✦

Astronomer of the Abyss Tenebris's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ILI Te

To act when one is afraid, with the possibility of death. One cannot have courage without fear. Otherwise it would be confidence. People naturally admire underdogs in their struggles.

I really don't think many actions against the norm are "brave" or "courageous" though. Like with Caitlin Jenner, they have tons of money and support, and its legal. Its not like they were in the middle east, and trying to transition. There it would be brave and courageous, not in the USA.

I don't really consider myself brave or courageous, but I do have the ability to act in certain situations that others freeze up in. Such as immediately reacting to a car accident, to help people.
    一期一会

Only from the deepest darkness, can you see the stars.

MBTI
    INTP

Bravery is a very important virtue that should always be celebrated and admired.

It's an exercise in using your conscious mind to pit your unconscious mind against itself- will to live vs fear. The conscious role in this interests me- sometimes we are brave in situations where the conscious mind is not on board with what we are doing (like something dangerous or thrilling), and sometimes it is (like going to an intimidating job interview). Mostly I think it's the will to live (maybe there's a better word or phrase for that) running the show- it's almost addicting, the feeling.
    Likes Eryn Silverfrond liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Misanthropic as I am, I think bravery is something inherent to all humans whether they know it or not, and often to far greater extents then they imagine.

It’s something we just don’t see often because we rarely need in the comfort and safety in modern .

We’ve seen many versions of the same story; some weak-willed little guy dreams of being like the brave hero they admire and in chasing them they overcome many obstacles all while saying that they are a coward. In the end we realize that the journey itself took more courage than the big hero himself has ever shown.

When I was little I heard the word ‘ brave’ a lot. I was your typical ‘terminally ill child frequently ill and in the hospital or undergoing research but was ‘ always just so happy and never complained’. I had no idea what they were talking about. I was just doing what I needed to live-just like every other kid there. Just like any adult in the same situation.

From the outside people saw the things we had to do to live and say “ Oh i can’t imagine-“ but no one does- until they are in the situation and they too merely do what they need.

Of course some are les brave than others and while they the same instinctual will to survive I suppose a coward would be one who ...whines a lot has an attitude that they are the only one who has ever suffered, they think the world owes then something in return, they often use words and phrases like “ ‘ suffering’ and ‘fuck my life” a lot. If I were to make a distinction.
    " Do something, even if it's wrong."

" I don't wanna have to but I will, if that's what I'm supposed to do
    We don't wanna set up for the kill, but that's what I'm 'bout to do."
    Likes Eryn Silverfrond liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn Silverfrond View Post
    Bravery.
    Courage.
    What is it?
    It's doing things even though you're afraid of them. There are many different reasons you could have for doing them. The point is that you struggle against your own internal resistance.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Likes Eryn Silverfrond, Luminous liked this post

As urban legend from my country says:

Some guy needed to write a few page essay for his high school graduation and the topic he got is "What is bravery? and all he wrote is "This is bravery". He turned in only that and he got an A none the less.
    Likes Tenebris liked this post

Mastermind Fieldmarshal Sacrophagus's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNTJ
    Enneagram

Bravery is to stand in front of whatever struggles in your path, even when the odds seem against you, sanity defies you, and pierce through them.

A brave man is a man who stands the test of time against all expectations. A brave man has a willpower of steel that does not echo his fears. His bravery infused in his actions and words overrides everything else he's made of.

I do not call myself brave. I call myself insane. I sometimes do things disregarding all possible consequences until any residue of inner fear is gone. Maybe that's bravery, maybe that's insanity, what matters is to overcome.
    الخَيلُ وَاللَيلُ وَالبَيداءُ تَعرِفُني *** وَالسَيفُ وَالرُمحُ وَالقِرطاسُ وَالقَلَمُ
    Swift steeds, dreary nights, and the desolate wasteland, all know me full well
    As do the sword, the spear, the paper and the pen.
    Likes Tenebris liked this post

Astronomer of the Abyss Tenebris's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    As urban legend from my country says:

Some guy needed to write a few page essay for his high school graduation and the topic he got is "What is bravery? and all he wrote is "This is bravery". He turned in only that and he got an A none the less.
    Haha, I've seen this before. I liked it.
    一期一会

Only from the deepest darkness, can you see the stars.