Thread: Need A New Job

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    639 so/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by awbro View Post
    Can't do pharmacy tech... My math skills would need a lot of brushing up and even then I'm not sure I'd be good at it.

Proofreading, I've thought about. But there don't seem to be any openings in companies. I'd have to start my own business. And that has its own complications.
    I don't know about the education system in the US, but here, for pharmacy tech, calculus isn't needed. They ask you really basic level maths, it's not that hard.

I did pass two calculus exams while I had massive problems with hard maths, and now I'm pursuing a curriculum which needs it. If I did this, I think you could do it too with pharmacy tech.

EDIT: checked, it's the same for the US.
    I don't think that it's so personal
    Anymore
    I don't think that it's irreversible
    Anymore
    Sometimes I feel like I'm a sentimental trooper.

6w5 - 3w4 - 9w8 so/sp
    RLUEI
    Chaotic neutral.
    LII-Ne.

MBTI
    ESFJ

That would take a while. I found a two-semester program, but it's out-of-state so I don't know how that would factor into things. I also can barely do basic math in my head. Adding. Subtracting. But give me a language-related discipline and I'm on it, becoming decently eloquent and analyzing the logic of human processing much faster than I can add 5+7. Like, compare a Model T starting up to a Corvette. Yeah.

I'm literally going up the wall.

I know it's my fault for being young and dumb and I just want to crawl out of my skin and into the skin of a wiser person who isn't such a fool.

That would take a while. I found a two-semester program, but it's out-of-state so I don't know how that would factor into things. I also can barely do basic math in my head. Adding. Subtracting. But give me a language-related discipline and I'm on it, becoming decently eloquent and analyzing the logic of human processing much faster than I can add 5+7. Like, compare a Model T starting up to a Corvette. Yeah.

I'm literally going up the wall.

I know it's my fault for being young and dumb and I just want to crawl out of my skin and into the skin of a wiser person who isn't such a fool.
    hey i just noticed you had made this thread and the older one i just commented in, so disregard my other comment.

at any rate, what do you think of speech language pathology? i've seen a lot of job postings for this type of thing and it seems to pay fairly well. you'd probably still need to go back to school, and you'd likely have to deal with people with deficient mental faculties, but what do you think at a casual glance?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Greed View Post
    hey i just noticed you had made this thread and the older one i just commented in, so disregard my other comment.

at any rate, what do you think of speech language pathology? i've seen a lot of job postings for this type of thing and it seems to pay fairly well. you'd probably still need to go back to school, and you'd likely have to deal with people with deficient mental faculties, but what do you think at a casual glance?
    I've tried to pay attention to what I like and don't like over the years.

I very much like systems and working within them, but having the creativity to move about within them at my leisure. I like to help people, but only when I know I'm following a procedure I personally like that builds off guidelines set by the company, or even just a colleague with more knowledge than me.

For instance, we just got a new assistant manager where I work. He's extremely by-the-book. He wouldn't just honor a lady's coupon on the app she had clearly visible -- it just wasn't working due to a technical issue. She was so nice. But I involved him because I wanted to establish a better working relationship with him. He turned out to be a dick, more of a dick than I first suspected him to be with his snake-oil salesman tactics. At our store, we operate very loose and I don't want this to change.

At my other job, I work with special needs children. I rarely have success getting them to listen. If they listen to me, it's an act of God. Even with general ed children, I rarely find things to talk about. I'm not a natural comedian, and that's what children need you to be a lot. They need a role model and a rock. I'm more a recluse that likes to better myself and help others indirectly.

So helping people like you mention would be difficult for me. I'm in between liking rules and absolutely snapping in a bitchy, rule-bashing rant every second. I like the science of language, but I get frustrated when I have to help others apply it. It's a bit unfortunate.

Thank you for the reply.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

Feeling yourself unemployable sounds like a pessimistic even desperate state of mind to me. Try to ask yourself whether you have experience every position/roles available that, you are so desperate you are not employable for any roles/position?
    Different roles have different professional responsibilities, duties to fulfill, and demmand. If you feel you do not perform well, are not competent enough in performing some tasks required in a role, you may have still a chance to try to get to another roles and expect in the right roles/position, you could perform well. You shouldn't be overly desperate, when you actually haven't tried to take every roles in every kind of employer's organizational structure.

What i see exist in you right now, is that you have a mindset of a true professional; you are willing to work for your employer because they pay you, which is a good attitude. The professional attitude tends to be liked by most employer as far as I concern. You realize that when you can't perform a task under your responsibility, you may want to consider a resignation. Employer definitely seeks a someone with professional mindset like you; they certainly won't pay someone who are not willing to work for them; if they did, they would not get anything for every penny they pay their professional for. You should not worry too much, As long as you maintain the professional attitude, you will be able to find employer who are willing to employ you.

You are judged not to be flexible, and mentally rigid? You dream to be working in an already arranged system. May be you like to follow "Standard Operational Procedure (SOP)". May be you tend to be bureaucratic. If this is indeed sound like yourself, You should aim for a government related jobs: like a public service. I think business environment may not suit extrovert feeler-introvert sensing type well. You should aim to apply for a civil service jobs and work for the state. That way you might feel more comfortable working professionally.

I've tried to pay attention to what I like and don't like over the years.

I very much like systems and working within them, but having the creativity to move about within them at my leisure. I like to help people, but only when I know I'm following a procedure I personally like that builds off guidelines set by the company, or even just a colleague with more knowledge than me.

For instance, we just got a new assistant manager where I work. He's extremely by-the-book. He wouldn't just honor a lady's coupon on the app she had clearly visible -- it just wasn't working due to a technical issue. She was so nice. But I involved him because I wanted to establish a better working relationship with him. He turned out to be a dick, more of a dick than I first suspected him to be with his snake-oil salesman tactics. At our store, we operate very loose and I don't want this to change.
    life is about compromise. you're going to have to do shit you don't want to do. you're going to have to answer to people you don't want to answer to. you're going to have bosses (and coworkers) who are totally incompetent to the point where you sit there wondering why you don't have their job. you are going to work with assholes. you are going to have to do things that don't make sense. you are going to have to do things you don't agree with (so long as they aren't morally bad). that's the nature of the working world in ANY field. it doesn't matter WHAT you pick. there will be problems like this everywhere you go. that's life. i mean, you could start your own business, but rarely does that ever pan out and i doubt you have the means or grand idea of what to do on that in this stage of your life.

the part we have to work on is how to deal with this sort of thing and how we can minimize it in our environment.

it does sound like you're working as a low-wage retail slave. almost no one likes those jobs. i wouldn't use this as an example of what you are good and bad at.

i will say that what you end up doing isn't necessarily all that important to focus on. you CAN be trained to learn any job, even if you think you can't right now. what you need to figure out is what you can tolerate (you don't have to love it. rarely does anyone truly LOVE doing something 40 hours a week for the rest of forever. that's wispy idealism speak that just leaves you forever searching for something that doesn't exist), and what kind of environment you enjoy (what type of people do you like working with? etc.)

At my other job, I work with special needs children. I rarely have success getting them to listen. If they listen to me, it's an act of God. Even with general ed children, I rarely find things to talk about. I'm not a natural comedian, and that's what children need you to be a lot. They need a role model and a rock. I'm more a recluse that likes to better myself and help others indirectly.

So helping people like you mention would be difficult for me. I'm in between liking rules and absolutely snapping in a bitchy, rule-bashing rant every second. I like the science of language, but I get frustrated when I have to help others apply it. It's a bit unfortunate.

Thank you for the reply.
    children and humans in general are tricky. i always hated working with the public myself (clients, customers, etc.). for me, i found that i was happiest in a job where i didn't have to deal with these sorts of people. i much prefer dealing only with other co-workers that i grow to know ever day.

it's ok to say this isn't right for you. it's just the only thing semi-language related i had on my mind and i had seen it come up in a lot of job searches when looking for something recently.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I don't get along with a co-worker I work directly with and I'm having a hard time confronting her. I have a bitchy, ungrateful personality type and I complain to my parents about how I can't confront her and don't know how to bring it up to the manager, and my parents just get so angry with me. But I can't quit my job until I have something else, and no one will even interview me. I'm freaking out. I just want to be somebody else.

Senior Member Justin of Flavia Neapolis's Avatar
    MBTI
    ARCH

Unless you're going for a medical or law type of degree, I'd not waste time on "traditional" schooling. That is, if you're an autodidact to begin with. You could use the tools at your disposal to self-educate as they are in direct competition to schooling for a fraction of the cost. Most decent paying positions are gained through networking, and experience. There's a whole supply/demand aspect to college degrees to take into consideration, as well.

The Trades may be worth looking into.
    χρήστος ανέστη