First 567

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    714 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaylin View Post
    If I’m curious about something- a random health annoyance, psychology, the state of the world etc, I’ll ask for lots of input. I want to know the experiences of others to see if they mesh with mine, or I’ll turn to them for their expertise or opinions.
    If it’s something that effects my day to day, if it doesn’t really concern others, or if I’ve made up my mind about something, then I tend to be a wall. (Such as, I’ll pick my car- I don’t really care about your experiences or official stats. I like what I like and I’ll be the one driving it. Or: I will never have carpeting in another home, I don’t really care how cold your feet get. Wear slippers lol.) I never outright SAY I don’t value their input. I’ll patiently listen. Their arguments won’t sway me though.
    Yeah I tend to only ask people I trust, like my mother, for input on stuff like that. I think it is heavily an E6 or even having a wing E6 thing. I think there are lots of reasons we seek outer input. That is why often when typology questionaires are involved I make one that involves a bunch of decision processing because that is the purest way to find someone's type. Not just they feel something, but what makes them tick. What do they do? WHY do they do it exactly? What made them make that choice? It becomes a great deal easier to see their functions and enneagram that way.
    Fearsome hearts, I wouldn't lie
    I got memories that travels my mind
    Fear not, fear not when you go
    I got pieces of your hate in my soul
    Look at me now
    I'm falling apart in daylight
    All the pieces that I've lost, I have loved

Formerly: JazzyLarsen, Crystal Winter Dream, Hummingbird Spirit
    Likes Zhaylin liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    952 sp/so
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

Regarding Fe/Fi, Ne, I took to one of my Discord groups. The leader responded: "with me too as a 9w1, I do feel like I concern myself with other people a lot - but it’s not as an Fe strength in a “pure” sense. I put myself (Fi) into their situation and extrapolate (Ne) based on what I would like to have happen based on what I’ve already experienced (Si, Fi)."

Which made a lot of sense. When I enter a room and read it, I'm placing myself in their shoes and judging the expressions based on what I've experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Symphony View Post
    @cascadeco @Hexcoder I find it interesting you do not like cognitive functions. I used to kind of read MBTI from dichotomies but only really understood types when I finally started to learn what those functions are. I believe there is validity to cognitive functions but I think the problem is many people do not understand the cognitive functions themselves, or how they work. Many try to make cognitive functions stand alone when they work together. In a sense the dichotomies can seem easier to grasp, and easier to fall into since they are sort of a sum of something, but I don't think it helps you to understand how all those bits work together. This of course is a theoretical idea difference between us. I like the introspecting and understanding I feel I get from studying and grasping cognitive functions and how they work upon an axis. It helps me to see how these parts break up and work together, or break apart together. I don't think the theory is entirely out. Just my 2 cents on that stuff. XD
    I understand them just fine, I got into typology since 6-7 years ago. Them working together is precisely one of the problems imo because it's too limiting and I believe people are more diverse. For instance, last year I was very Ti-Fe (you would not have suggested 8w9 for me last year) and related to Fi so little that it was the one function I didn't understand, this year lately I'm more Ti-Fi and very anti "social norms just bc people say so" while last year I tried desperately to conform to them (awkwardly, nervously, and without much success for an inability to read them). Now I just find they often make no logical sense and I refuse to be a sheeple. I don't believe typology has validity. I used to be into all of this as a heuristic just like you, I once said similar to you and defended functions, but eventually I found that all of it--dichotomies included--was holding me back and limiting / skewing my perceptions. I especially moved away from it when I realized that people were constantly misunderstanding me due to typology, that they associated this or that behavior with some function and it was like...no, you don't understand at all, that's not what is going on here. It showed me that typology was faulty even as a heuristic and I realized people learn more when they stop trying to classify and categorize and just listen like I'm a human.
    JOHARI || NOHARI
    There is always something to judge for: humans are infinitely flawed, we can never be perfect. To me, diversity is the beauty in it all: without it there is no discovery, no curiosity, no exploration...yet, that inescapable difference is what they judge. Judge away, I say: it will never corrode my individuality.
    I'd rather have grim reality than superficial happiness...don't expect me to play along with fake escapist social fluff, I like it raw and real.
    Likes Chaotic Symphony, cascadeco liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hexcoder View Post
    I especially moved away from it when I realized that people were constantly misunderstanding me due to typology, that they associated this or that behavior with some function and it was like...no, you don't understand at all, that's not what is going on here. It showed me that typology was faulty even as a heuristic and I realized people learn more when they stop trying to classify and categorize and just listen like I'm a human.
    This sums a lot of it up for me as well. I have been viewed as certain types in the past and the result has been extreme misreading of my actual intentions/ motivations/needs/perceptions in life.

Like you, I know quite a bit about functions and I could spit out in all of these discussions what each one is about and what constitutes it, and so on (and I have done it, in the past).

And I agree with you that we (we = people on the forum) equate certain behaviors and traits to certain functions. I can't tell you how tiresome it is to be cited as being a high Se user because I like nature/the outdoors or aesthetically I like nature. I mean that is probably the most overused stereotype there is.

Tied to what you're saying (or agreeing with what you're saying, ha), functions are also the way people can creatively come up with any assessment/typing possible for anyone. Oh, you're not a typical xxxx but you must be really depressed so you're really using your demon function and even though you don't remotely seem like an xxxx I think you are one because of that. Etc. And for the same person, you could construct an equally plausible argument for maybe two or three other types. Or, maybe someone is typed as an Si dom but doesn't remotely resemble anything to do with the SJ temperament or J in general; or someone is typed as an INFP (by virtue of Fi dom) who doesn't remotely resemble the NP temperament. etc.

@Chaotic Harmony that's cool that you like them. I have said in the past (and prob in this thread too, ha) that I find them theoretically interesting and can see value in discussing them in people, but I find things break down in attempting to apply them - especially to mature more balanced adults. Also you have to keep in mind that I'm quite the forum curmudgeon at this point and I've been through all kinds of phases when it comes to mbti. I don't intend for this to be some patronizing 'oh you're just in a phase' comment, I'm only saying this in regards to myself to provide context for my own self.

Edit: Also might be worth adding that I can *relate* to all kinds of functions (all except for Ne, with Si maybe as well) - and can 'relate' a lot of times more to Fi than what is *said* about Fe - but it doesn't mean I AM Fi. That's another trouble-area with cognitive functions, I think - it's 'easy' to relate to them. And I do think with Fi especially, in reading the descriptions, the vast majority of folks will feel they 'relate' to it. Do I have personal values? Yes of course I do! Do I always follow other peoples' values? No of course I don't. And so on. Or take Si for example - we all store information and learn as we go through life; we all learn from experience. So everyone will 'relate' to aspects of Si, regardless of whether they 'use' it per theory/type or not.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    Likes Hexcoder liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I can't tell you how tiresome it is to be cited as being a high Se user because I like nature/the outdoors or aesthetically I like nature. I mean that is probably the most overused stereotype there is.
    I'll never forget the day a now permabanned ISTP repped me after I made a post about zinc, wondering if I was an SP. For posting about zinc? Where do people get this shit from?
    Likes cascadeco, Hexcoder liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I'll never forget the day a now permabanned ISTP repped me after I made a post about zinc, wondering if I was an SP. For posting about zinc? Where do people get this shit from?
    haha! That's a good one.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

MBTI
    INFJ

One important distinction between Fe and Fi that I don't think has been mentioned is that Fe is a verbal function (it has other manifestations, but words is a common one), whereas Fi is predominantly non-verbal. Fe users - even TPs - express themselves through a Feeling-oriented manner of speech, whereas Fi users express themselves through logic (Te, which is also verbal). Ti and Fi commonly manifest as internally referenced principles. Understanding the nature of Ti principles is easy enough for me. It's just logical deductions, and things along those lines. Anyone can look up the laws of logic and such as that. Fi uses Feeling/moral principles, which to me are more mysterious and it's a wonder that such a thing exists at all given how little consensus there seems to be in ethical philosophy compared with the philosophy of logic. But if you look for it, you'll see it - Fi users using a kind of schema based on principles of right and wrong, which aren't explicitly expressed but clearly took place in the analysis.

Das mah 2c
    Likes SearchingforPeace, Zhaylin liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    One important distinction between Fe and Fi that I don't think has been mentioned is that Fe is a verbal function (it has other manifestations, but words is a common one), whereas Fi is predominantly non-verbal. Fe users - even TPs - express themselves through a Feeling-oriented manner of speech, whereas Fi users express themselves through logic (Te, which is also verbal). Ti and Fi commonly manifest as internally referenced principles. Understanding the nature of Ti principles is easy enough for me. It's just logical deductions, and things along those lines. Anyone can look up the laws of logic and such as that. Fi uses Feeling/moral principles, which to me are more mysterious and it's a wonder that such a thing exists at all given how little consensus there seems to be in ethical philosophy compared with the philosophy of logic. But if you look for it, you'll see it - Fi users using a kind of schema based on principles of right and wrong, which aren't explicitly expressed but clearly took place in the analysis. Das mah 2c
    The actual mbti formula meaning has been buried under a sea of quiz and ignorant type me threads.
    Likes Hexcoder liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    It really illuminates yor focus on concrete sensory information and preference for spontaneity, lack of planning / scheduling. :P

I've been typed as an S for changing my profile pics all the time.
    Nah bro, that's my identity disturbance. Research real psychology and you might really learn something about people.