Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
Ah. With my comments I was thinking of first-time people taking the test - say, young SJ's of post-2000 generation who personally might identify with the traits of NP, due to expectations culturally, who have taken the test in the past 20 years. Regarding repeat-takers, sure, I could see how a first-time SJ twenty years ago might re-test as NJ today, vs do a two-trait switch. But I was really trying to express cultural shifts and the difference in the generations and what young SJ's are surrounded with today vs what they were surrounded with.. in the 1960's or something. I guarantee an SJ growing up in the 60's and an SJ of the same type graduating from high school in 2019 is going to have pretty significant differences and might test quite differently based on how the questions are framed and how they view themselves as fitting and behaving in the world they are a part of. Thus statistics and typing results/identification can morph over time as the culture changes, due to traits that are esteemed and 'necessary' in the world.
That's the great paradox of SJ stereotypes. SJs are described as traditional allegedly because they conform to the norms of their culture, and from this, we assume they must be conservative, rigid individuals. Well, how can an SJ be conservative if the norms they conform to emphasise creativity and freedom? What if an SJ who was brought up with or indoctrinated into one tradition comes into conflict with a different one? Would they conform to that new culture, or would they dig their heels in? It's also easy to dismiss a culture that's different to your own, but would you know any different if that's all you ever knew, and if it formed the backbone of your worldview?

Yeah, I think culturally N has become more esteemed - again, at least the more superficial trappings of it used in dichotomy tests - 'creative', 'imaginative', and so on.
My issue with those terms is the implicit subjective value to them, because creativity is difficult to define objectively. This issue is related to cultural esteem, to some extent.

True, highly adaptable is probably best suited for EP, over IP, though I'd say IP will generally be more adaptable/able to adjust on the fly vs IJ. Though maybe it's more ISP that would be the case. Though a lot depends on whether it's external adaptability to moving pieces or adaptability to ideas, I guess. But regardless I think I just meant that this sort of thing seems to be looked for and highlighted more in the job world these days / just a less 'stable' and more fast-paced world overall.
I see your point.