First 123

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by robobot14 View Post
    I'm a bit curious about something. I've been told that enneagram is about motivation more than traits. So what if your traits go against your type, but not your motivations? On here I got typed as 7, although some people said 9. But I don't really relate to being spotaneous, very extroverted, optimistic, and bubbly. It could easily be a stereoptype, but still. I definitely can be goofy and playful, but I'm also quiet, introspective, compromising and mellow like a 9. I just like variety, learning lots, experience and exploring the unique like a 7. I care a lot about peace too though.

Any insights I guess?

This is perfectly normal and is why Enneagram is far more practical and reliable than MBTI.

I actually get this a LOT " You're an Eight but you're not very aggressive." right, because control Being overly aggressive to me is like being controlled by anger and I refuse to do that.
    “ they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us…they can’t get away this time”

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

I'm a bit curious about something. I've been told that enneagram is about motivation more than traits. So what if your traits go against your type, but not your motivations? On here I got typed as 7, although some people said 9. But I don't really relate to being spotaneous, very extroverted, optimistic, and bubbly. It could easily be a stereoptype, but still. I definitely can be goofy and playful, but I'm also quiet, introspective, compromising and mellow like a 9. I just like variety, learning lots, experience and exploring the unique like a 7. I care a lot about peace too though.

Any insights I guess?
    Both types avoid painful situations, but in different ways.

When something feels uncomfortable or threatening, do you numb out and begin to exist passively, or do you avoid slowing down and try to experience/do more? What makes you more uncomfortable and stressed out? Feeling tied down, or feeling unimportant and disconnected?
    dead·pan
    /ˈded,pan/
    adjective: deliberately impassive or expressionless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MBTI
    xNxP

@Peter Deadpan

I chose the latter for both of those.

I chose the latter for both of those.
    Well you selected one of each for 7 and 9.

This stuff should take you a long time to figure out if you're doing it right because you have to dig beneath your ego, so I wouldn't worry much about not figuring it out yet.
    dead·pan
    /ˈded,pan/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MBTI
    xNxP

@Peter Deadpan

I see! But maybe the latter in number 1 could be narcotization for me? I read nines do more too, but in a more repetitive/comforting way. Music is a big coping mechanism for me, and I listen to music repetitively under stress.

@Peter Deadpan

I see! But maybe the latter in number 1 could be narcotization for me? I read nines do more too, but in a more repetitive/comforting way. Music is a big coping mechanism for me, and I listen to music repetitively under stress.
    I meant "doing more" as in getting out of oneself and one's situation impulsively as a way of avoiding stagnation or introspection. It's a very outward movement, which isn't really what the 9 necessarily does (although they do focus on their relationship to what they value and want to connect with externally). 9s numb out under stress and merging with something gives them a sense of being.
    dead·pan
    /ˈded,pan/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Give me a fourth dot. The Tsarevich's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    478 sx/sp
    Socionics
    :-( None

I'm a bit curious about something. I've been told that enneagram is about motivation more than traits.
    This is true. I cannot emphasize this enough. I have seen so many people either mistyped, or else permanently confused about their type (or else unable to accurately recognize types in others) because they're basing their understanding of the enneagram on "traits". We start off memorizing lists of adjectives and superficial characteristics, because those are building blocks that help us understand deeper qualities.

Another way to think of this is that the types are psychological patterns. They're not about what you do, they're about your way of seeing the world, your defense mechanisms, etc. I literally just wrote about this exact thing elsewhere:

Quote Originally Posted by The Tsarevich View Post
    It's best to think of the types as psychological patterns. Throw out every piece of feedback you've ever gotten. Forget what they've said about you. People are liars, and they lack insight into others. It might also help to read some published authors--I wouldn't be anywhere if I hadn't MASSIVELY examined what various thinkers had to say about the enneagram. Find out how you see the world, listen to your own most heart felt rants about life, look deeply into your values, ask yourself about the places you avoid psychologically. These are better indicators of type than being "well-liked by your peers".
    Some (like many of the original teachers) would go even farther than that and insist that the enneagram is actually a spiritual tool designed to realign us with the cosmos. For most people, seeing it as a psychological tool is the most practical.

So what if your traits go against your type, but not your motivations?
    I can tell you about not exhibiting traits. I have gotten feedback all my life about being the exact opposite of how my type is typically described. Consequently, I spent 15 years of looking at behaviours and thinking I wasn't "good enough" to be my type, or any other for that matter. I always felt insufficient to actually belong on the enneagram.

All I can say is that you actually might exhibit stereotypical behaviors in ways that others haven't pointed out, that you haven't picked up on yourself, or that you just aren't thinking about. It's best not to worry about that, but instead look at what absolutely motivates you ("motivations" being a condensed word for your fears, avoidances, longings, self-image, superego messages, values system, defense mechanisms, private thoughts about the world, core triggers, etc.)

On here I got typed as 7, although some people said 9. But I don't really relate to being spotaneous, very extroverted, optimistic, and bubbly. It could easily be a stereotype, but still. I definitely can be goofy and playful, but I'm also quiet, introspective, compromising and mellow like a 9. I just like variety, learning lots, experience and exploring the unique like a 7. I care a lot about peace too though.
    See, these are stereotypes. I've spoken to any number of 7s who insist they're quiet and relatively serious. Especially Thinking 7s don't always fit the stereotype of the bubbly, people-oriented ditz--I once went out with an ESTP 7w6 former-classmate of mine who hardly said anything--he was often abrasive and depressive and had a "morbid" sense of humor. Likewise, caring about peace doesn't necessarily make you a 9--I'd say that was another trait rather than a motivation.

The difference between 7 and 9 is the difference between wanting to keep moving (7) and wanting to stay settled (9); wanting to get "up" versus wanting to remain "even"; seeking excitement vs seeking to tamp down excitement; avoiding stagnation vs embracing it; mercuriality vs steadiness; quickness vs slowness. You'll probably see yourself more oriented toward one or the other. Probably both are in your tritype.

You know yourself better than anyone else here; the important thing is what's happening inside your mind. Not the traits you/people think you're exhibiting. Best of luck.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalDoubt View Post
    To add to this post, probably not unlike most people have, motivations definitely play a bigger role than behavior, especially when certain types resemble each other at a superficial/purely behavioral level. Using myself as an example, behaviorally, I could easily be typed (and have mistyped for a long period of time) as a 9(w1) core because I'm not incredibly assertive, withdrawn, excessively pleasant/agreeable around others, and more moved by others agendas at times than my own. I am also not necessarily reactive in a way that's super obvious to others in the way that the stereotypical 6 and I wouldn't consider myself loyal either. However, if you look into my motivations, I am strongly motivated by my fear, I don't fear being lost or separated from others, and I'm far too willing to throw away my peace of mind to get things done and maintain control. I also have no issue with sloth. This confusion makes sense, as sp 6 strongly resembles 9s as a whole (without the presence of sx at least) behaviorally and description wise if you ignore motivations.
    THAT'S why I mistyped as 9w1 too. But after I look deeperfor my fear I fear of without support and guidance more. I look back on my childhood my mom was too overprotective to me so I see the world as dangerous and untrustworthy, and I'm being dependent of my mom, I let my mom become the support and guidance for me. I'm afraid of losing my mom because who's gonna give me guidance if it's not my mom?
    6w7 9w? 4w5
    Likes RadicalDoubt liked this post