User Tag List

First 567

Results 61 to 70 of 70

  1. #61
    This person has no name.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    11,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyc View Post
    Some humans are instinctively more social than others. That can partly be put down to Introversion/Extroversion. Also natural levels of empathy.
    But even the most social people dont always obey and adopt every social norm, if its not in their best interest at the time.
    Evidence of free will. Choice.

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Evidence of free will. Choice.
    Thats correct, in the sense of being free from external influences. However looking inside out, a person will always do whats in their best interest. They cannot do otherwise.

  3. #63
    This person has no name.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    11,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyc View Post
    Thats correct, in the sense of being free from external influences. However looking inside out, a person will always do whats in their best interest. They cannot do otherwise.
    Plenty of people behave in manners that aren't in their best interests for whatever reason, whether for negative or positive reasons.

    For the sake of argument, I vote against my best interests since it's for the greater good. I'm not generally a greater good person when it comes to social rules since many are traditional and irrational rules such as gender roles. I know plenty of people who do the same.

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Plenty of people behave in manners that aren't in their best interests for whatever reason, whether for negative or positive reasons.

    For the sake of argument, I vote against my best interests since it's for the greater good. I'm not generally a greater good person when it comes to social rules since many are traditional and irrational rules such as gender roles. I know plenty of people who do the same.
    Yes, thats a good point. Since humans are such a social species there can be an overlap between an individual's best interest and those of the group. Thats what altruism is: when its in your best interest to consider others before yourself. We're rewarded with a sort of warm, fuzzy high.

    Anyway Im not trying to convince you one way or the other. This thread was more intended to find trends between type and belief. On that note: may I ask what you type as in MBTI?

  5. #65
    This person has no name.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    11,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyc View Post
    Yes, thats a good point. Since humans are such a social species there can be an overlap between an individual's best interest and those of the group. Thats what altruism is: when its in your best interest to consider others before yourself. We're rewarded with a sort of warm, fuzzy high.

    Anyway Im not trying to convince you one way or the other. This thread was more intended to find trends between type and belief. On that note: may I ask what you type as in MBTI?
    Guess, premised on your hypothesis.

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Guess, premised on your hypothesis.
    Ha umm... INFP?

  7. #67
    This person has no name.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    11,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyc View Post
    Ha umm... INFP?



  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post


    Classic INFP in denial...

  9. #69
    This person has no name.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    11,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyc View Post
    Classic INFP in denial...
    In other words, you're disinterested in actualities. Okay, carry on.

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    In other words, you're disinterested in actualities. Okay, carry on.
    Ouch. I take that to mean Im not living in the real world. Err I dunno. Put me out my misery.

Similar Threads

  1. Disbelief in free will & low use of frontal cortex
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-14-2011, 08:07 AM
  2. F :Free Will And Destiny
    By lightsun in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 09:04 PM
  3. Militant Belief in Health Food and Alternative Medicine
    By heart in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-23-2010, 12:09 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2008, 05:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO