• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Global warming: what did we do?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Even in USA there are troubles with water reservoirs lately

original.jpg

CORiver-111118-0482_HooverAerial_web.jpg

Etc.

Heh, you should check out Cadilliac Desert. It doesn't really address global warming, but it does talk a great deal about water in the American west. The most interesting parts, I think, are the sections discussing the Colorado river as well as the L.A. aqueduct.

I'm sure the current administration and ruling party is simply hoping they die before they get here. Or mowing them down at the border, which has also been suggested. Unless they are coming from Norway or some other white people country. All of this has actually been said so anyone who has an issue with it, take it up with Trump.

In the end, doing something requires mass organizing on a global level. We live in Fortress America now, this is never going to happen. My suggestion is to start donating money to and voting for every candidate that also puts this problem front and center., that grasp the global size of the problem and are willing to move away from a solely capitalist economy to make it happen.

I think global warming is inevitable at this point, unfortunately. Too many politicians on both sides of the aisle have just dragged their feet with the issue (Actually, I'm probably the most angry at the 2008 Democrats about this...you can't criticize Republicans for inaction, and then when you get a chance to do something, do absolutely nothing because you think it will hurt your chances at reelection). I suppose the issue becomes how we all deal with it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm sure the current administration and ruling party is simply hoping they die before they get here. Or mowing them down at the border, which has also been suggested. Unless they are coming from Norway or some other white people country. All of this has actually been said so anyone who has an issue with it, take it up with Trump.

In the end, doing something requires mass organizing on a global level. We live in Fortress America now, this is never going to happen. My suggestion is to start donating money to and voting for every candidate that also puts this problem front and center., that grasp the global size of the problem and are willing to move away from a solely capitalist economy to make it happen.

I think global warming is inevitable at this point, unfortunately. Too many politicians on both sides of the aisle have just dragged their feet with the issue (Actually, I'm probably the most angry at the 2008 Democrats about this...you can't criticize Republicans for inaction, and then when you get a chance to do something, do absolutely nothing because you think it will hurt your chances at reelection). I suppose the issue becomes how we all deal with it.

Basically, the difference between the two parties has been this:

Republicans: Human-made climate change is a myth.

Democrats: Climate change is real, but we can't do anything about it because it might hurt the economy and we want to get re-elected.

Very Hobson's choice.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Democrats: Climate change is real, but we can't do anything about it because it might hurt the economy and we want to get re-elected.

Very Hobson's choice.

To be fair, Obama tried to do a lot to address it during his two terms. Republicans (most of them, anyway) tried to block him every step of the way.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To be fair, Obama tried to do a lot to address it during his two terms. Republicans (most of them, anyway) tried to block him every step of the way.

I thought he didn't have enough Democratic votes because of the reason I just stated?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought he didn't have enough Democratic votes because of the reason I just stated?

That's true. But as the party leader, at least he tried to get his party to do more. Many did try to work with him on this and lost elections in 2010 and 2012 as a result of trying to do something.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Very Hobson's choice.

I don't criticize Republicans only because I know the only difference between them and Democrats on the issue of climate and fossil fuel industry is offer to suck dick for contributions just a bit faster than Dems. But that's all in the past, I was just addressing what to do going forward.

Understanding that denialism is front and center to places like the Marshall Institute, The State Policy Network, FreedomWorks, Americans For Prosperity, all conservative, libertarian and right wing is important but in the end - there is nothing anyone can do about it so why do anything - is the only thing they offer. That's also the party line of the GOP as they get money in the billions from these groups plus the Kochs, Cato and Heritage. If nothing else convinces a person that environmental disruption is real - just look how hard these groups work to deny it.

Sure Obama tried to do a great deal to address this. He failed because he continued to think that he could work with Republican leadership. It didn't work then and won't work now. Both parties are ideologically cohesive, there is no "across the isle". Until more, I guess liberal, people grasp this and stop hoping for it, we go nowhere on any issue.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't criticize Republicans only because I know the only difference between them and Democrats on the issue of climate and fossil fuel industry is offer to suck dick for contributions just a bit faster than Dems. But that's all in the past, I was just addressing what to do going forward.

Understanding that denialism is front and center to places like the Marshall Institute, The State Policy Network, FreedomWorks, Americans For Prosperity, all conservative, libertarian and right wing is important but in the end - there is nothing anyone can do about it so why do anything - is the only thing they offer. That's also the party line of the GOP as they get money in the billions from these groups plus the Kochs, Cato and Heritage. If nothing else convinces a person that environmental disruption is real - just look how hard these groups work to deny it.

Sure Obama tried to do a great deal to address this. He failed because he continued to think that he could work with Republican leadership. It didn't work then and won't work now. Both parties are ideologically cohesive, there is no "across the isle". Until more, I guess liberal, people grasp this and stop hoping for it, we go nowhere on any issue.

I mean, I suppose I sound a little black pill about all of this, but that's not really my view. I just can't see politics changing quickly enough to prevent this (of course, of been wrong before about what people are ready for...... I was entirely wrong about the path of the 2016 primaries, for instance) . Not when people still act like folks like Joe Biden are viable options.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

I prefer Climate change since the temperature isn't the only problem in the mix.

I mean this is the picture that shows how Arctic cap looks right now and you really don't have to be a genius to realize that this is just too little ice, even for this time of the year.

Plus here is the map that shows current sea temperature when compared to average.

However even if we stop burning the fossil fuels what we already put out should melt the remains completely in the foreseeable future. Not to mention that various feedbacks are also starting to openly kick in. Therefore once the Arctic is ice free during summer time we will actually start to see real rises in temperatures and Greenland will seriously start to melt. So sea level will start to rise at more observable rate.

Therefore the idea that we can dodge this mess completely is done. The only thing we can really do now is take time and effort to prepare the world for what is coming and keep global emission at least somewhat under control, so that we don't hit too hard into all this. However expecting even that may be too much to hope for when it comes to modern politics.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I prefer Climate change since the temperature isn't the only problem in the mix.

Therefore the idea that we can dodge this mess completely is done. The only thing we can really do now is take time and effort to prepare the world for what is coming and keep global emission at least somewhat under control, so that we don't hit too hard into all this. However expecting even that may be too much to hope for when it comes to modern politics.

Or if you want it in concrete:

1. All global agriculture must be properly watered and protected from weather extremes as much as possible. Since otherwise we will surely have many regional conflicts for resources and endless refugees.

2. Stock market needs to be educated that there will be "earthquakes" and that they shouldn't panic over everything.

3. There have to very active plans to plant more trees, since they help regulate the climate and they are natural counter to fast desertification, since they hold large quantities of water in them.

4. There needs to be more investments into building more water accumulations, since the water wouldn't be so "certain" resource anymore.

5. Everything that can be recycled should be, since that saves energy and doesn't pollute so much the drinkable water that will be getting scarce through most of the world.

6. There have to be active attempts to make sure we don't have more than 2 children per mother. Especially in naturally dry areas.

7. More regional economy, transporting stuff around the world is heavy pollutant and everything that can be produced more locally should be. Plus even if some parts fall into chaos this way this woudln't hit everyone openly. Especially since mass transport in bad weather will be more of a challenge, what if surely kick in as a factor when the sea starts to claim coastal infrastructure more often.

8. Less meat consumption.

9. Forbidding the building of buildings in low areas next to the sea and large flooding rivers.

10. Upgrade power grid and invest into newer technologies and research regarding the electricity.

This will be a struggle for sure but with this you can ease the problem and make sure that things stay at least somewhat functional. Because if chaos kicks in it is game over.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
The one solution that really would have made a dent in global CO2 levels is nuclear power and we all know where the 2 parties stand on that.

I'm sorry, but some of the solutions offered up (like banning fossil fuels or banning cows) are just stupid.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People thought banning leaded gasoline was stupid too, you know.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
this is a rant :|

Well, it began with the industrial revolution. Said countries went on to conquer the rest of the world, making the world system capitalistic (as opposed to merchantile or whatever it would have developed into), so now any country that wants to catch up has to industrialize, making it a cycle of environmental fuck-ups in the name of economic progress. In the meantime, rather than acknowledging that the world is going to hell in a handbasket and we need to do something to stop it STAT, we've got clowns electing clowns, not just in the US, mind. These clowns love setting forests on fire for money, and politics are always happy to go where the money goes.

So SOME "people" -- quite literally a handful -- love their dollars, AND their wishful thinking way more than they love surviving - so they've got lobbies and funding. So while the world burns and politics only slowly finally decides to do some things belatedly in a global grouphug, there's a good likelihood these people will end up colonizing space while the rest of us die, since they'll be the ones who can afford to go to space. Then they can go fuck up another planet. Wonderful world we live in, eh? :))))

Oh, and lobbies. And there's probably culture of mass denial or some shit. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We fukked up, Manny. We chooda' nipped dat chit in de' bud. De' whole world gunna be a ole lodd hawder an' wetter denna hooker on new year's eev.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
An effort like this seems completely impossible in the political environment now.

There is a congressman in my state that keeps telling people god will solve the climate issue. Just makes me want to slap a bitch. Humans caused what is happening 100%. Humans will have to solve 100% of it as well.

Lark

There is a congressman in my state that keeps telling people god will solve the climate issue. Just makes me want to slap a bitch. Humans caused what is happening 100%. Humans will have to solve 100% of it as well.

That sort of thinking, I'm absolutely sure, is heretical and offensive to God, a complete abdication of free will and abuse of stewardship.

It does not surprise me at all though.

Never ceases to amaze me how poor a grasp people have of the religions they are meant to be practicing.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
That sort of thinking, I'm absolutely sure, is heretical and offensive to God, a complete abdication of free will and abuse of stewardship.

It does not surprise me at all though.

Never ceases to amaze me how poor a grasp people have of the religions they are meant to be practicing.

You're right. Floods. famines, illness, meteors, etc. God's style is usually to kill people who have done nothing to deserve it. So fixing man made global warming would just not be right.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream

Given that the church is supposed to be the hand of god........... they should be getting their asses down towards making it work out. I wanna kick their asses.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, it began with the industrial revolution. Said countries went on to conquer the rest of the world, making the world system capitalistic (as opposed to merchantile or whatever it would have developed into), so now any country that wants to catch up has to industrialize, making it a cycle of environmental fuck-ups in the name of economic progress. In the meantime, rather than acknowledging that the world is going to hell in a handbasket and we need to do something to stop it STAT, we've got clowns electing clowns, not just in the US, mind. These clowns love setting forests on fire for money, and politics are always happy to go where the money goes.

So SOME "people" -- quite literally a handful -- love their dollars, AND their wishful thinking way more than they love surviving - so they've got lobbies and funding. So while the world burns and politics only slowly finally decides to do some things belatedly in a global grouphug, there's a good likelihood these people will end up colonizing space while the rest of us die, since they'll be the ones who can afford to go to space. Then they can go fuck up another planet. Wonderful world we live in, eh? :))))

Oh, and lobbies. And there's probably culture of mass denial or some shit. Hope this helps.
It started in what was likely an honest ignorance of the consequences. We are considerably better informed today. Continued ignorance is willful and inexcusable.