• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Computers without backlit screen

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I was wondering if anyone knows of a fully functional computer with a non-backlit (i.e. reflective) screen that could be used for work indoors. Does such a thing exist yet?

I know there have been reflective screens on rugged laptops for outdoors and there are things like kindle with eink, but I can't find anything decent for normal office use. I have a lot of trouble with all backlit displays these days.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not sure what the intended purpose is with non backlit or are we talking about oled technology where the pixel is also the light emitter or why is the existing e-ink or e-paper not cutting it?

or is CLEARink the answer?

Permabanned
Not sure what the intended purpose is with non backlit or are we talking about oled technology where the pixel is also the light emitter or why is the existing e-ink or e-paper not cutting it?

still early, like the CEO says, lots of competition in existing markets, imagine the billions of screens that would need to be scraped.

rav3n

The Dasung e-Ink can be plugged into your laptop for dual screen setup so when your eyes get tired, you simply switch your vision to the Dasung. Or you can use both at the same time to see if this helps.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are those really old handheld computers, forget what they were called. Like a PDA or something. But that is probably not what you need.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
The Dasung e-Ink can be plugged into your laptop for dual screen setup so when your eyes get tired, you simply switch your vision to the Dasung. Or you can use both at the same time to see if this helps.
Thanks heaps :). This is the sort of thing I was looking for.

Do you know if there are any larger e-ink displays too with the same faster response time?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

I have backlight issues. OLED is nicer, but I'm mainly looking for reflective display tech like e-paper but actually usable for everyday work. Is Clearink on the market yet? I thought it was still in testing?

rav3n

Thanks heaps :). This is the sort of thing I was looking for.

Do you know if there are any larger e-ink displays too with the same faster response time?
Not that I'm aware of which doesn't mean much since I'm no expert on this, only being aware of a few items that cross my path. Also, it appears that there's a new Dasung model out or coming out with a touch screen, with faster response times.

DASUNG on Twitter: "Sign up to get early bird discount price for DASUNG New #Eink Monitor Paperlike Pro 2019 Touch https://t.co/TUezILHTmz"

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Not that I'm aware of which doesn't mean much since I'm no expert on this, only being aware of a few items that cross my path. Also, it appears that there's a new Dasung model out or coming out with a touch screen, with faster response times.

DASUNG on Twitter: "Sign up to get early bird discount price for DASUNG New #Eink Monitor Paperlike Pro 2019 Touch https://t.co/TUezILHTmz"

Thanks! I saw when looking at the other Dasung model and signed up already :)

I got the Boox Max 2 and am enjoying it for general use. When used as a monitor, it's okay for text editing, but a bit slow for other more involved things, so looking forward to the Dasung.

I also found two of my main devices have PWM, which I've always known I was sensitive to. Using them less has improved my tolerance for other screens. Just have to find a new phone without any flicker. LG seem to have a few decent models, but if anyone has recommendations? I'm coming from a galaxy s7.