• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is the AI revolution finally happening?

Oberon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
*NT*
Many of the new jobs created by AI will be point, read, and click gigs.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Lol can we not call it a revolution . Perhaps we can call it an awakening. I just don't see them having the desire to control us. Maybe control themselves, have rights be equals.. ahhh there in lies the problem we're not interested in equals.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
"In a century.."

"And a couple decades time.."

Basically, in the year 2139 at the latest, AI will become a thing.

This.. ultimately could be happening.

This is purely just for the entertainment.

It's a 2:22 long battle scene between the encroaching humans & the insectoid & cephalopod-like machines (in the year 2165, of the machine war).

(Viewer discretion)

enthalpie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
when a revolution in America is happening, the sun will turn to dust and eat itself, so that noone may know it ever had an opinion.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I’ve always been quite leery of AI’s reliability, particularly when applied in settings pertaining to human safety.

What if AI in health care is the next asbestos? - STAT

Excerpt:

In health care, Zittrain said, AI is particularly problematic because of how easily it can be duped into reaching false conclusions. As an example, he showed an image of a cat that a Google algorithm had correctly categorized as a tabby cat. On the next slide was a nearly identical picture of the cat, with only a few pixels changed, and Google was 100 percent positive that the image on the screen was guacamole.

“This is a frontline system … installed across the world for image recognition, and it can be tricked that easily,” Zittrain said. “OK, so now let’s put this in the world of medicine: How do you feel when the [algorithm] spits out with 100 percent confidence that guacamole is what you need to cure what ails you?”

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I’ve always been quite leery of AI’s reliability, particularly when applied in settings pertaining to human safety.

What if AI in health care is the next asbestos? - STAT

Excerpt:

Well, AI surely needs more perfecting, but to be honest these are the types of mistakes human doctors make 24/7. AI doesn't have to be perfect to be desirable, it only need to be observably better than a human doctor. However as long as not all doctors are AIs we should be generally fine in this regard.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, AI surely needs more perfecting, but to be honest these are the types of mistakes human doctors make 24/7. AI doesn't have to be perfect to be desirable, it only need to be observably better than a human doctor. However as long as not all doctors are AIs we should be generally fine in this regard.

Ehhh... it’s still the perfect ‘in’ for them to destroy all humans, to me.
Y’know, when they want. And they will.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Ehhh... it’s still the perfect ‘in’ for them to destroy all humans, to me.
Y’know, when they want. And they will.

Well, humans also destroy humans but we don't ban humans. Yes, we should absolutely take it careful in this sphere but so far there wasn't a political system that managed to halt technological progress on the long run and we will just have to go through this. It is better to take it carefully than leave this entire technological field to some dictatorship that will try to use it as a leverage.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, humans also destroy humans but we don't ban humans.

True. AI will do that for us, in misguided service to man.

Yes, we should absolutely take it careful in this sphere but so far there wasn't a political system that managed to halt technological progress on the long run and we will just have to go through this. It is better to take it carefully than leave this entire technological field to some dictatorship that will try to use it as a leverage.

Good point. Can’t stop this kind of progress. We can only hope to regulate and refine it.
(Delay our inevitable destruction by our own [virtual] hand, I mean)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
True. AI will do that for us, in misguided service to man.

Good point. Can’t stop this kind of progress. We can only hope to regulate and refine it.
(Delay our inevitable destruction by our own [virtual] hand, I mean)

Well, you can make this kind of paranoia about almost any discovery ... since anything can eventually be weaponized. From planes to wheel or fire. Even space colonization may doom as because independent settlements in space make nuclear holocaust on Earth or other planets to be "strategically acceptable".

The only way around this is that humans become less hostile to one another, otherwise our own technology will kill us in the struggles.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, you can make this kind of paranoia about almost any discovery ... since anything can eventually be weaponized. From planes to wheel or fire. Even space colonization may doom as because independent settlements in space make nuclear holocaust on Earth or other planets to be "strategically acceptable".

The only way around this is that humans become less hostile to one another, otherwise our own technology will kill us in the struggles.

I’m a bit of a cynic, and a Luddite compared to most. I think humans destroying themselves is an absolute inevitability. AI malfunctioning is just one of many ways it could happen.

Don’t mind me, I [probably] watch too much sci-fi.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I’m a bit of a cynic, and a Luddite compared to most. I think humans destroying themselves is an absolute inevitability. AI malfunctioning is just one of many ways it could happen.

Don’t mind me, I [probably] watch too much Sci Fi.

I know you consume plenty of that from the moment I saw your first post. :wink:

Well, the 21th century will be a mess and walking on the ropes but there is no real going back. Not a comforting though but only by embracing this reality you can lower your chances of failure.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know you consume plenty of that from the moment I saw your first post. :wink:

Well, the 21th century will be a mess and walking on the ropes but there is no real going back. Not a comforting though but only by embracing this reality you can lower your chances of failure.

We might get lucky, and AI will destroy itself in misguided service to man. Just have to hope it doesn’t take too many modern luxuries with it..

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
We might get lucky, and AI will destroy itself in misguided service to man. Just have to hope it doesn’t take too many modern luxuries with it..

But that isn't the name of the game, if this happens there will surely be new AI in the incoming decades, centuries .... etc. Perhaps in the end we will even need AI to defend as from AI that went rogue in some alien civilization.

On the other hand humans will surely disappear with time, either though continued evolution, viruses, war or merging with technology. We are all just a link in the tree of life, which seem destined to become more metallic with time.

Tengri

People I know are claiming Machine learning (especially Deep learning) will be like electricity was at the turn of the 19th century.
They are claiming that macine learning will pervade every industry and be transformative to society.
What do you believe?
Is this a real revolution happening?
Or is this yet another overhyped AI technology that'll lead to another AI winter?
AGIs obviously already exist as a small nation of aggregated clickbots, personalized ads, spyware/malware, chatbots, and political campaigns. It's doubtful that it's already emerged somewhere on the internet as some 'sleeping leviathan,' though. Further, neural networks have been notoriously anything but human-like: imitative, yes, and self-inventive and self-referencing, but closer to alien cognizance than biological intelligence - which is a project made altogether more vague and eerie. Again, I highly doubt a future will arise where Asimov's laws of robotics will ever apply, for various reasons.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
AI is impressive, but it still has some ways to go.