User Tag List

First 1234 Last

🍓 girl in an 🍎 world SurrealisticSlumbers's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

So many industries are now obsolete, and only in the past decade. Many, many more jobs will be taken within another decade. Andrew Yang is the only U.S. politician interested in discussing this at length and proposing workable solutions. No other politician wants to even acknowledge AI, much less talk about it.

Robots are the new elephants in the room.
    Over 40 years ago, we were passing through South Carolina - possibly on our way to Florida.
    For reasons unknown to this day, we were shot to death, execution style, on the side of a dirt road.
    We were a young couple, probably in our early to mid-20s, and may have been French Canadian.
    Our identities have never been established.
    So... Who were we?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well that's the version of AI in Will Smith's I, Robot (as opposed to Issac Asimov's I, Robot that is) which I thought was probably a better version of the "AI uprising" idea than the one in the Terminator films, which is kind of dumb all things considered, definitely different to the "smarter" technology in the Colossus novels (the first was filmed as The Forbin Project, which despite its limitations remains a great movie about the triumph of an AI over the entire planet and all of humanity).

The thing about illogical, violent, greedy and inferior is that I think those are conclusions that only a human could reach about humanity, its a little like when humans do the converse and anthropomorphize machines, I remember people doing that a lot in the nineties, I dont know if its still a thing, but people who only knew a little about technology would blame machines for being unco-operative, anyone whose worked in IT knows that sort of thing is usually a result of user error.

On the other hand I know that machines could simply decide that humans are competition for scarce resources and in that scenario you could have an AI like that in The Matrix, although turning the world dark inorder to prevent machines exploiting solar power is not inevitable, ironically by doing so and making machines exploit them as kind of battery power source humanity guaranteed its existence in perpetuity.

The only thing about the Matrix scenario is I know of no reason why the machines would have choosen to remain on earth as opposed to simply leaving the planet and its atmosphere for space, which I think is possibly the most likely scenario if it did not simply self-terminate as I've described, maybe the exiting AI would return after a time scale in which mankind is liable to have perished by its own devices and maybe it wouldnt ever bother to do so as it makes no sense for it to do so having no irrational attachments to place like human beings do. This scenario is some what similar to some of the stories from the Dune universe and the anti-AI crusade which follows after the other houses fall to Atraides rule.
    You put way more thought into your response than I did into my comment. It was more of a joke than anything and I rolled it out while waiting at one of the numerous medical appointments I’ve had recently. I was originally just thinking if an AI read the sum of available human history it may consider it in it’s own interest to protect itself from a species that has a tendency to destroy what it fears. I blame the sterile and spartan waiting room I was trapped in for my ramblings. At least in this instance.

The machines in The Matrix stayed on Earth to facilitate the plot of the movie, and unfortunately two rather lackluster additions (it would have been fine as a single movie but of course sequels usually = lots more $).

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    You put way more thought into your response than I did into my comment. It was more of a joke than anything and I rolled it out while waiting at one of the numerous medical appointments I’ve had recently. I was originally just thinking if an AI read the sum of available human history it may consider it in it’s own interest to protect itself from a species that has a tendency to destroy what it fears. I blame the sterile and spartan waiting room I was trapped in for my ramblings. At least in this instance.

The machines in The Matrix stayed on Earth to facilitate the plot of the movie, and unfortunately two rather lackluster additions (it would have been fine as a single movie but of course sequels usually = lots more $).
    I thought your post was genius.

Largely I agree with you about the Matrix films. My friends and I discussed the finish of the first movie and imagined whether or not the next would be any good.

A friend of mine thought the possibility of Neo being this uber hacker type would be amazing, whereas I thought it would be rubbish because at best Neo would now be either like a character from Heroes or Superman(in which they could have done some idea about Neo's own corruption as an uber mensch and the machines going into alliance with the human rebels to defeat him).

I've never understood why people found the Matrix to be that revolutionary, I keep up on a lot of old, old sci fi, novels, films, anything really and a lot of them are better or more interesting than Matrix style stuff. Its also not nearly as baffling or difficult to work out or follow as I've heard people suggest. Sometimes I think the people that do or make videos explaining it all at length are younger people or were younger people at the stage they saw it.

Neo struck a deal with the machines to kill himself in exchange for them allowing a "free state" or "partitioned" humanity, they did so because unlike every other scenario, which had played out to date Neo wouldnt let himself be "reset" and that was in part because he'd inadvertantly created the "Agent virus" which had been an unanticipated variable. I found that unlikely. The machines are able to run infinite scenarios but not that one, which was a product of human writers? Yeah, right.

Although, like I say, it seems more likely to me that when the humans darkened the atmosphere the machines would have been "screw you guys, I'm going home" and jetted off into the infinity of space to leave humanity to their own mess of a planet.

It all makes me think that there had to have been some human element which conspired with the machines and imprisoned humanity as batteries. I can conceive of plenty of scenarios in which an elite would imagine that was a super good idea for humanity, the matrix simulation, and preferable to actual life and freedom. Especially post pollution plot not working out.

I can see no scenario at all other than as you say to support to directors plot and story boarding, of the one film and its sequels, in which the machines desire a symbiosis with the humans like that portrayed on screen. In fact the AI f**king off to explore space and leaving mankind with 50s style tech to sort out a polluted disaster sounds like the plot of a far better feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I thought your post was genius.

Largely I agree with you about the Matrix films. My friends and I discussed the finish of the first movie and imagined whether or not the next would be any good.

A friend of mine thought the possibility of Neo being this uber hacker type would be amazing, whereas I thought it would be rubbish because at best Neo would now be either like a character from Heroes or Superman(in which they could have done some idea about Neo's own corruption as an uber mensch and the machines going into alliance with the human rebels to defeat him).

I've never understood why people found the Matrix to be that revolutionary, I keep up on a lot of old, old sci fi, novels, films, anything really and a lot of them are better or more interesting than Matrix style stuff. Its also not nearly as baffling or difficult to work out or follow as I've heard people suggest. Sometimes I think the people that do or make videos explaining it all at length are younger people or were younger people at the stage they saw it.

Neo struck a deal with the machines to kill himself in exchange for them allowing a "free state" or "partitioned" humanity, they did so because unlike every other scenario, which had played out to date Neo wouldnt let himself be "reset" and that was in part because he'd inadvertantly created the "Agent virus" which had been an unanticipated variable. I found that unlikely. The machines are able to run infinite scenarios but not that one, which was a product of human writers? Yeah, right.

Although, like I say, it seems more likely to me that when the humans darkened the atmosphere the machines would have been "screw you guys, I'm going home" and jetted off into the infinity of space to leave humanity to their own mess of a planet.

It all makes me think that there had to have been some human element which conspired with the machines and imprisoned humanity as batteries. I can conceive of plenty of scenarios in which an elite would imagine that was a super good idea for humanity, the matrix simulation, and preferable to actual life and freedom. Especially post pollution plot not working out.

I can see no scenario at all other than as you say to support to directors plot and story boarding, of the one film and its sequels, in which the machines desire a symbiosis with the humans like that portrayed on screen. In fact the AI f**king off to explore space and leaving mankind with 50s style tech to sort out a polluted disaster sounds like the plot of a far better feature.
    There wasn’t really anything revolutionary about The Matrix but it had such delicious packaging that I found it irresistible. Perhaps because I was playing a lot of Cyberpunk 2020 when it came out. It definitely wasn’t too difficult to figure out so I’m not sure why so many people struggled with it. I think they presented it in a fairly straightforward manner. So straightforward that when Neo flies off like Superman at the end of the first installment the viewer is really left with little doubt that he is in fact this chosen one and that he will triumph. Thus there is no need for a continuation of the story.

I think the original movie may have inadvertently (or intentionally) been as much a statement about the mindless drudgery of living in a modern consumer driven society as it was about the consequences of unregulated technology. Instead of the cog analogy, we’re all batteries giving our very life essence to the machine, to the system that demands we consume as it in turn consumes us. The Matrix- the simulation- symbolizes the myriad of distractions we’re fed to keep us complacent and willing to continue giving our existence over in order to keep the whole thing running. Ironically, The Matrix is then just another distraction in the simulation and another way in which we’re drained of our vitality.

Also, apparently I shouldn’t spend so much time sitting in waiting rooms.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealisticSlumbers View Post
    So many industries are now obsolete, and only in the past decade. Many, many more jobs will be taken within another decade. Andrew Yang is the only U.S. politician interested in discussing this at length and proposing workable solutions. No other politician wants to even acknowledge AI, much less talk about it.

Of course they don't. AI talk is evidently out of their league.
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp

We have an amazon echo in the bedroom that occasionally pipes up. Sorry i didn’t understand that... when we aren’t talking.

My BF will say Alexa, fuck off.

I will say, please don’t taunt skynet.
    Likes Abcdenfp liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

"In a century.."

"And a couple decades time.."

Basically, in the year 2139 at the latest, AI will become a thing.

This.. ultimately could be happening.

Remember, Humanity. Jacques Le Paul's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    379 sp/sx

Not any time soon, computers are blank slates. Now Neumann said that in 5 years any notion of past computing power is foolish, but teaching computers to do things on their own takes a very long time.
    Always forward, never back!

"I always love talking to people and hearing their story. People always have a good life story to tell ya know?"

Today is the beginning, and tomorrow is the beginning of everything else.

March on, life's too grand to let things get you down for long. It's a beautiful place and we're so blessed to be here.

I am a person of fortune and I must seek my fortune.

My blog