MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default If antidepresent commercials were honest

lol
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

After 1:05 it got extremely inaccurate. It also wasn't even that funny. So...

My experience is that people refuse to accept that they might benefit from antidepressants, and so I don't really see what the point of this video was. I don't even really see what the point of antidepressant commercials are.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

Suckyfukky 5 dollar asynartetic's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Side effects may include death
    Steve heard the "mrrroooooooow" just in time to look up and see an orange ball of fur whizzing by his head. Suddenly there were flying furballs coming from all directions. The formerly placid suburb was now populated by loud "mrowws" and "mews" ascending and descending in pitch, not unlike a speeding police car's siren heard via the doppler effect. The cats were legless yet hovered by some phantom force, zipping around with their bushy tails flapping behind them.
    Likes phoenix31 liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post
    After 1:05 it got extremely inaccurate. It also wasn't even that funny. So...

My experience is that people refuse to accept that they might benefit from antidepressants, and so I don't really see what the point of this video was. I don't even really see what the point of antidepressant commercials are.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    Side effects may include death
    Id rather die than have depression.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

「」
    Likes Smilephantomhive, Yuu liked this post

My experience is that people refuse to accept that they might benefit from antidepressants
    My experience is that people refuse to accept that some people might not benefit at all from antidepressants.

I don't really see what the point of this video was.
    The point of the video was mock the use of SSRI's by mentioning its questionable efficacy and wacky theory behind its use. If SSRI's are the cure for depression then I'm not going to be talking to my doctor any time soon, but if ideal female company and steak dinners suddenly became the clinical cure for depression then I'd be having all symptoms listed in the video faster than you can blink. In other words, the 'chemical imbalance' theory isn't supported by any lab work done before or after the use of medication; it's all fancy guess work and theory crafting designed to exploit ignorant and gullible people to support a multi-billion dollar industry -- it's a confidence trick being perpetrated by white coats with credentials on their walls.

To use an analogy, just because people swear by religious prayer, homeopathy, acupuncture or other alternative forms of medicine, doesn't mean that they work. In fact just like with SSRI's, a number of studies conducted by various medical organizations around the world have repeatedly claimed that they're largely ineffective, and even with the most promising studies, the majority of people still don't reap any significant benefit.
    Likes Yuu liked this post

Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Antidepressant commercials as a concept sounds dystopian enough...
    ex Glados.
    Likes Bush liked this post

MBTI
    NxFe
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Take chemotherapy. It has a shitload of side effects that are brutal and not well-understood. There's also debate on how well it actually works. And while it's a lot better than treatments we used to use (surgery for everything!) in the future, we absolutely need -- and likely will have -- better treatments with fewer nasty side effects and better results.

The reality is that even though chemo sucks, so does cancer.
    Last edited by Bush; 08-10-2018 at 08:38 AM.
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes Frosty liked this post

Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

Even though it's been 17 years its times like these I somehow continue to feel some vague echoes of culture shock. That is, in the old country and in the way I was raised even after leaving it, your emotions (mental issues too) aren't even valid in the first place and you are not going to have a good time if you are stupid enough to insist they are. Trust me. Sometimes I still continue to feel a little bit amazed at the softness of the U.S. and sometimes I even almost feel puzzled over it. Furthermore, creating substance for an already existent complex is not so hard at all from what I have seen with my own complexes. That is, if I went onto the redpill reddit to champion feminism then it would be easy to soon enough find myself tied to a stake.

Regardless, just because I do not need medication for my anxiety or the depressive episodes I've had (they're not islands but derived from a more concrete problem), doesn't mean I don't believe there are people out there who wouldn't benefit from meds. Obviously. Like my father, whose anxiety is several orders of magnitude more severe than mine. While I have been able to control my anxiety to the point of being able to function normally since I was a teen through sheer force, even I have recently sought therapy to refine things and break through the barrier I felt I had encountered (good enough was no longer good enough). Some of the CYFIP1 mice I've had to study have exhibited anxiety as their sole comorbidity due to the branches of their neurons being unusually ovecrowded and I vaugely recall reading about something similar about certain neurons possibly playing a large role in anxiety or something along those lines. Which I don't think pure force can make up for completely. At least not in my father's case but he's also a narcissist so that certainly complicates it all because in order to push against the problem you have to accept you even have one in the first place.

Similarly, I don't believe that just because therapy has been relatively good for me that everyone needs it or that it is the panacea. I am not aligned with the prescriptive method in any direction but instead the case by case basis.

Anyway, I tend not to ask for advice because I am too proud and so, do not often actually want the advice or opinions of others with regards to my decisions especially. If I want to set my apartment on fire, I will. If I want to kill myself, I will. If I want to take medication for my anxiety or depressive episodes, then I will. If I don't want to, I won't. I couldn't care less how most people feel/society feels about my decisions, though I do care how my decisions affect others. I try to be reasonable and if approached correctly or by someone I find wise, I will actually listen and be responsive. But my decisions aren't most often things I am open to external input about as the direction of my will isn't up for negotiation or capable of being influenced whatsoever.

「」
    Likes cascadeco liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    How so?
    How is it extremely inaccurate or...? I don't understand your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Deprecator View Post
    My experience is that people refuse to accept that some people might not benefit at all from antidepressants.
    When did I say everyone would benefit from antidepressants? People who are not depressed, who have bipolar disorder, or who have treatment-resistant depression probably won't benefit from antidepressants, no. I didn't say they would. I say people who COULD benefit from antidepressants tend to not want them. Very few people willingly accept a mental health diagnosis. The ones who do are either extremely insightful (and rare) or aren't really sick and are just worried they're sick.

The point of the video was mock the use of SSRI's by mentioning its questionable efficacy and wacky theory behind its use. If SSRI's are the cure for depression then I'm not going to be talking to my doctor any time soon, but if ideal female company and steak dinners suddenly became the clinical cure for depression then I'd be having all symptoms listed in the video faster than you can blink. In other words, the 'chemical imbalance' theory isn't supported by any lab work done before or after the use of medication; it's all fancy guess work and theory crafting designed to exploit ignorant and gullible people to support a multi-billion dollar industry -- it's a confidence trick being perpetrated by white coats with credentials on their walls.
    I'm not sure you understand the science of this very well.

The chemical imbalance theory wouldn't be supported by lab work because the neurochemicals in question (seratonin and norepinephrine) can't be assessed with blood work due to the blood-brain barrier. The single largest inhibition to psychiatric research is the inability to assess neurochemical levels in the brain. What HAS been done is over 30 years of conceptualization and independent research that's suggested it's more likely than other theories due to outcome studies by independent researchers, progression in our understanding of neurology and neuropsychology, and advances in research like MRIs, fMRIs, etc.

And I would love for you to spend a day working in the psychiatric hospital I work in with people who are desperate for help with their overwhelming depression and suicidal thoughts, then look them in the face and tell them medications are all a con. Is it perfect? No. Psychiatry and psychotherapy are difficult as fuck because we're working with something locked behind thick bone that doesn't like being poked. Is it the aggregate result of a century of a people who have worked their asses off to constantly improve the treatments we can give desperate and suffering people? Yes.

To use an analogy, just because people swear by religious prayer, homeopathy, acupuncture or other alternative forms of medicine, doesn't mean that they work. In fact just like with SSRI's, a number of studies conducted by various medical organizations around the world have repeatedly claimed that they're largely ineffective, and even with the most promising studies, the majority of people still don't reap any significant benefit.
    And an equal number of studies have shown that SSRIs are more effective than not doing anything at all. Those studies also showed that SSRIs are equally as effective as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and that the most effective treatment regimen for Major Depressive Disorder and anxiety disorders in general is a combination of SSRI trials and psychotherapy. Research also suggests that individuial neurochemistry and the different neurotransmitters involved mean that an average of 2-3 SSRI trials are necessary before an effective medication is found.

I'm very aware of the research, and I really don't have the time or energy to get in a citation battle with you. You act like mental health treatment is just throwing chemicals at people. We also use religious activities and any alternative medicine someone is interested in if it helps make them feel better. Because that's what we do. We help people try and feel better and live more functional lives when their mood, behaviors, psychosis, and developmental disorders inhibit their ability to live happy and fulfilling lives. You can sit back and be cynical all day, but you aren't the one people come to desperate for help. If it truly helps them, we'll throw the kitchen sink at it. We love to have research to know that what we're doing is proven to be effective, but if it takes acupuncture and shaman rituals and sweat lodges, we'll fucking do it. If steak dinners and sex with women help you, I'd help you budget for the steaks and set up your Tindr profile. By the way, treating yourself to nice meals and social interaction are behaviors that we look at to help people fight depression, it's called behavioral activation. It's shown by research to be effective.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist
    Likes Lady Lazarus, Bush, prplchknz, Frosty, ceecee liked this post