• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My thoughts on the I phone

Opivy1980

MBTI Type
INTJ
So the I phone came out today and everybody is so excited to get their hands on this 600 dollar piece of junk. I don't understand it what is so great about it?

First, it doesn't do anything that a pocket pc can do better, so therefore it doesn't address any needs that the consumer can't get elsewhere for a better price without being forced to have a certain provider.

Second, it barely functions according to most reviews, so why stand in line for something that isn't even going to work well when you do get it? At least the wii, xbox 360, and playstation 3 worked when they came out.

Third, the touch screen, how is this a good idea for the phone portion? The buttons on some cell phones are so small you can barely use them without accidentally hitting the wrong one, a touch screen is going to be worse due to the fact that the buttons will be even closer together, causing dialing nightmares the like of which haven't been seen ever.

The storage on it is only 8gb at most? What person in their right mind only needs 8gb of storage for their media? Most good Ipods have about 20-60gb and they cost hundreds less than the Iphone.

The Iphone is just another gadget that no one actually needs and is nothing more than a status symbol, the genius of Apple isn't in their technology of the phone but in the marketing of an absolute piece of shit, similar to what they did with the Imac (Icrap), produce a substandard gadget that doesn't do anything well, and then market it like it is the best thing since sliced bread.

The Iphone is something I expect to see at a store like The Sharper Image next to an electric nose hair trimmer and the Ionic hepa filters, not in a legitimate electronics store, next to Pocket PC's made by Toshiba, Hitachi and Audiovox.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cell phones are really no more than a status symbol, even though most people, besides me, have them these days. Still, people still seem to have this thought that they're "important people" by showing off their cell phones.

Apple hasn't come up with a true innovation since their computer interface, which was greatly expanded upon by Microsoft.

And I'm going to tell you something about the Wii. The thing is retarded -- the only thing cool about it is the controller, but why can't the system technology itself be next-gen like Xbox 360 or PoS3? I'm telling you, Japan is taking over this country -- WWII never ended, we must exterminate these Japs.

Sony PoS3 is another Japanese "innovation" that is such an illogical waste. The graphics on the system are no better than Xbox 360, and the thing came out a year later to avoid competition with Microsoft. Sure, it's worth it for the Blu-Ray player, but why can't standalone Blu-Ray players be a couple hundred bucks less instead of a couple hundred bucks more?

But back on topic, I agree that iPhone is such a waste. All these new technologies are just stupid -- who wants to watch a DVD on a tiny 5" screen? And these new gadgets are an ergonomic nightmare. Big deal, they fit into your pocket, but they'll also give you carpotunnel.

And the idea of a car TV in the front seat is so disturbing -- like we don't have enough bad drivers anyway...

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
And the idea of a car TV in the front seat is so disturbing -- like we don't have enough bad drivers anyway...

I've seen plenty of cars with TV's for the driver and passengers; What's even more interesting are some of the things that we've seen playing in the low-riders or tricked up SUV's with the extreme tinted windows. (They don't think of the video bleeding through so that people outside can see.) Not only is the driver distracted by the cell-phone in one hand (haven't they heard of headsets????) and the TV on the other, they're also distracted by the XXX rated content of the movie they're playing for themselves, their buddies, and probably the kiddies in the back.

Opivy1980

MBTI Type
INTJ
Cell phones are really no more than a status symbol, even though most people, besides me, have them these days. Still, people still seem to have this thought that they're "important people" by showing off their cell phones.

Apple hasn't come up with a true innovation since their computer interface, which was greatly expanded upon by Microsoft.

And I'm going to tell you something about the Wii. The thing is retarded -- the only thing cool about it is the controller, but why can't the system technology itself be next-gen like Xbox 360 or PoS3? I'm telling you, Japan is taking over this country -- WWII never ended, we must exterminate these Japs.

Sony PoS3 is another Japanese "innovation" that is such an illogical waste. The graphics on the system are no better than Xbox 360, and the thing came out a year later to avoid competition with Microsoft. Sure, it's worth it for the Blu-Ray player, but why can't standalone Blu-Ray players be a couple hundred bucks less instead of a couple hundred bucks more?

But back on topic, I agree that iPhone is such a waste. All these new technologies are just stupid -- who wants to watch a DVD on a tiny 5" screen? And these new gadgets are an ergonomic nightmare. Big deal, they fit into your pocket, but they'll also give you carpotunnel.

At least the wii actually was something new, and it hasn't yet realized its potential yet I will agree with that. As far as the xbox 360 and ps3 get a computer they're better and cheaper than these supposed "next gen" systems that cost way too much. Can anybody say Neo Geo? As far as blue ray, its doa consider it the laser disc.

Cell phones in general are a good invention, even if they are extremely annoying most of the time, but the Iphone is just a piece of shit.

Apple has done some good things since their interface, particularly the new Macs the G5's and soon G6's these are real computers not marketed to the masses. However Apple seems intent on destroying their computer cred by continuing to cater to the lowest common denominator, the average american. Anyone who is stupid enough to pay for music at a dollar a song and thinks watching video on something 2" wide is a worthy endeavor, is somebody who will love the Iphone (which along with Icrap will now be referred to as Iphuk). However anyone who actually uses their phones for something important like I don't know making phone calls, should get a real cell phone made by real cell phone company. If they want good internet use with it too then get a pocket pc, from one of the many manufacturers that sell them for a couple hundred less than the Iphuk.

Opivy1980

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've seen plenty of cars with TV's for the driver and passengers; What's even more interesting are some of the things that we've seen playing in the low-riders or tricked up SUV's with the extreme tinted windows. (They don't think of the video bleeding through so that people outside can see.) Not only is the driver distracted by the cell-phone in one hand (haven't they heard of headsets????) and the TV on the other, they're also distracted by the XXX rated content of the movie they're playing for themselves, their buddies, and probably the kiddies in the back.

When they die in car crashes that will be evolution in action.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
On the off chance that some unenlightened idiot gives one of you guys an iPhone as a crappy, insulting gift, I volunteer to take it off your hands. I'd like a chance to play with one. If nothing else, it's pretty, like any self-respecting Apple product.

Opivy1980

MBTI Type
INTJ
On the off chance that some unenlightened idiot gives one of you guys an iPhone as a crappy, insulting gift, I volunteer to take it off your hands. I'd like a chance to play with one. If nothing else, it's pretty, like any self-respecting Apple product.

I would destroy it out of principle, I wouldn't want you to be contaminated by its Iphukiness.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I would destroy it out of principle, I wouldn't want you to be contaminated by its Iphukiness.
Too late. *Looks lovingly at Mac Mini and happily anticipates listening to the next chapter of Seventh Son on Nano*

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
From what I've seen on the pictures and all, the touch-screen interface on the iPhone is kinda neat and I wouldn't mind seeing a phone-less version come out to compare its functionality to either a Compaq iPaq or Dell Axim. I would not want it as a phone.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At least the wii actually was something new, and it hasn't yet realized its potential yet I will agree with that. As far as the xbox 360 and ps3 get a computer they're better and cheaper than these supposed "next gen" systems that cost way too much. Can anybody say Neo Geo? As far as blue ray, its doa consider it the laser disc.

Yes, I agree that computers are better, and a decent video card to play next-gen games probably costs about $100 less than a 360. The problem is when console games are lazily ported to the PC -- and there are some reasonably good console games out there that haven't come out for the PC.

I prefer to play first-person shooters on the PC -- the numerous buttons to press on the keyboard give me more freedom. However, I prefer to play free-roaming games like Grand Theft Auto on the console, mainly because they come out on the console six months before they're ported to PC.

The main reason I bought an Xbox 360 was so that I'd be able to play Grand Theft Auto IV right when it comes out. And I bought some other free roaming games for it, such as Saints Row and Crackdown, both of which were great (though Crackdown could've used more storyline).

Opivy1980

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, I agree that computers are better, and a decent video card to play next-gen games probably costs about $100 less than a 360. The problem is when console games are lazily ported to the PC -- and there are some reasonably good console games out there that haven't come out for the PC.

I prefer to play first-person shooters on the PC -- the numerous buttons to press on the keyboard give me more freedom. However, I prefer to play free-roaming games like Grand Theft Auto on the console, mainly because they come out on the console six months before they're ported to PC.

The main reason I bought an Xbox 360 was so that I'd be able to play Grand Theft Auto IV right when it comes out. And I bought some other free roaming games for it, such as Saints Row and Crackdown, both of which were great (though Crackdown could've used more storyline).

Buy a controller for your comp then.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
I know at least two big agencies had agent assistants and interns waiting in line this morning to try to get phones for their bosses. Which if there were two confirmed then there's more than likely underlings from the 3 other majors. I can't imagine what they were offering the sales clerks to get one. That's where the real insanity would be.

It's bad enough seeing people peck away on their Blackberries all the time, no doubt the attention whores will be on those things 24/7.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I prefer "iPuke".

I agree, ever since Apple started manufacturing iPods and iPod nanos their image has gone down the toilet. I miss the good old days, when REAL men and women could have Apple computers and still call themselves real men and women. I mean, they still make good computers, but Apple's made themselves lose face. They've become a symbol of America's gluttony and mass-marketing just as McDonalds has. They don't have the quiet, in-the-shadows, sexy Linux-like appeal anymore. Apple has turned ESTP.

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
When they die in car crashes that will be evolution in action.

Normally I'd agree with that however the problem is that they'd take out a lot of innocents in the process. In the past, I've seen enough bodies to the morgue thanks to inattentive drivers, and that was before cell-phones and car-TV's and all that.

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I prefer "iPuke".

I agree, ever since Apple started manufacturing iPods and iPod nanos their image has gone down the toilet. I miss the good old days, when REAL men and women could have Apple computers and still call themselves real men and women. I mean, they still make good computers, but Apple's made themselves lose face. They've become a symbol of America's gluttony and mass-marketing just as McDonalds has. They don't have the quiet, in-the-shadows, sexy Linux-like appeal anymore. Apple has turned ESTP.

I don't think the iPods are that bad. They're good at what they do, play music. I admit that the geek allure to play videos on my iPaq and Axim has led me to do so. The WOW factor loses it's appeal after the eye-strain kicks in so I would never consider doing that on an iPod with its itty-bitty eyestrain-o-vision screen; That's what a laptop is for.

I don't think today's Mac's aren't that bad either. The MacBook Pro has enough appeal to even draw a hard-core Microsoft engineer I know to consider buying it instead of a Dell, Thinkpad, or Vaio. He plans to run Parallels on it and run a virtual session of XP to have the best of both worlds.

And I'm sorry, all OS's aside, a MacPro with twin dual-core Xeon processors is enough to make most any geek sit up and take notice. :drool:

They've certainly have come a long way from the Apple II and IIe systems I used to work with. Though my SO's 128K Mac is still a pretty darn nifty little box; Not too many PC's that old that can still function that well. Right up there with the Vectrex.

I do question Apple's decision to jump into the PDA/cell-phone hybrid market so late in the game. Maybe they should've kept the Newton line going to keep abreast of what customers want. They might've been able to better anticipate the market and wouldn't have to start from scratch with a bunch of hoopla and hype about their new product.

PS: Yeah, I'll admit that I wouldn't turn down a chance to play with one so that I could compare it to what I currently have. However, I still wouldn't go out and deliberately buy one much less get the first generation of any new device like this unless I had a really compelling reason to do so, which I don't.

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I think it's useless as well, most top brand products are just a waste of money anyways. I can get an MP3 player for 30$, why should I buy an iPod for I dunno, four or five times that amount, also, why should I buy the iPhone for 600$ if I can get a Motorolla virtually for free with my cell phone contract?

You're right, it's a status symbol and status symbols are for stupid people, so be smart and dont buy it.

Not that I have anything against utilizing this excellent opportunity to rant about rampant human stupidity, though.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sdalek, I know they're continuing to make awesome stuff, as always, and I have an iPod too (excellent sound quality), but...it's just more of a dignity thing for me. :D

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Sdalek, I know they're continuing to make awesome stuff, as always, and I have an iPod too (excellent sound quality), but...it's just more of a dignity thing for me. :D

Ah, a real man or woman runs OS/2 Warp in an IBM PS/2 Model 30 with Microchannel architecture. You can tell them apart from the others with the slow sniffing inhale and the short sharp exhale through the mouth with a sort of "Huh?!" noise. :yim_rolling_on_the_

I've heard of a bank in Japan that's gone over to an all Apple network running LAN bootable diskless workstations using Open Directory for their network OS. That makes it kinda mainstream, I guess, which I think is part of the point you're making.

What flavor linux do you prefer? Ubuntu? SuSE? Red Hat? Yellow Dog? Debian?

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah, a real man or woman runs OS/2 Warp in an IBM PS/2 Model 30 with Microchannel architecture. You can tell them apart from the others with the slow sniffing inhale and the short sharp exhale through the mouth with a sort of "Huh?!" noise. :yim_rolling_on_the_

I've heard of a bank in Japan that's gone over to an all Apple network running LAN bootable diskless workstations using Open Directory for their network OS. That makes it kinda mainstream, I guess, which I think is part of the point you're making.

What flavor linux do you prefer? Ubuntu? SuSE? Red Hat? Yellow Dog? Debian?

:shock: I've only played around with Red Hat and DSL. Aaaagh!! I'm not that much of a computer buff. *overwhelmed with jargon*