• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My thoughts on the I phone

Opivy1980

MBTI Type
INTJ
I wish Linux would realize they need to be more compatible with the current styles of OS, command lines just aren't going to cut it. I don't want to have to sit down for 2 hours learning command codes when I can use a stable version of Windows that allows me to start using my computer instantly. While I do love the idea of Linux, it is just poorly executed at this point, Linux XP goes a long way to fix this, but it isn't readily available even on most Linux mirrors. Linux is still the system that people play around with on a second computer and leave their primary on Microsoft which is a shame, because Linux could have shut Microsoft down by now if it knew how to be a little more compatible, and yes I do understand the irony of somebody like me talking about compatibility.

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I wish Linux would realize they need to be more compatible with the current styles of OS, command lines just aren't going to cut it. I don't want to have to sit down for 2 hours learning command codes when I can use a stable version of Windows that allows me to start using my computer instantly. While I do love the idea of Linux, it is just poorly executed at this point, Linux XP goes a long way to fix this, but it isn't readily available even on most Linux mirrors. Linux is still the system that people play around with on a second computer and leave their primary on Microsoft which is a shame, because Linux could have shut Microsoft down by now if it knew how to be a little more compatible, and yes I do understand the irony of somebody like me talking about compatibility.

Well, that's where OS X comes in; You get a GUI OS with Unix underpinnings so you can run Unix apps and commands if you want. The better Linux I've seen has been SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop. It comes the closest to be being able to emulate a Windows machine from a business perspective.

Yomama99

MBTI Type
ISTP
They had pictures of people celebrating the purchase of their Iphones, I really wanted to beat the shit out of those people.

Bushranger

MBTI Type
INTP
I do question Apple's decision to jump into the PDA/cell-phone hybrid market so late in the game. Maybe they should've kept the Newton line going to keep abreast of what customers want. They might've been able to better anticipate the market and wouldn't have to start from scratch with a bunch of hoopla and hype about their new product.

I don't question it at all. Apple popularised the portable mp3 player, but they did it with a mass-market big bang release. "Buy an Ipod, it's simple, it's well designed, it works". When it came out it was unique, especially the interface.

The Newton was before Apple got their second wind. In that race they were beaten out by Palm, who were then beaten out by Nokia and Blackberry.

Apple can see that the Ipod will cease to make money once mobile phones can compete with it for music storage and quality. What scares them is Nokia finally getting an OS that doesn't suck as bad as Symbian. The IPhone is their way of wedging themselves into the phone-mp3 player space before that happens, since it is inevitable that the hardware will eventually become ubiquitous.

What they are selling is their brand, not the device; the interface, not the hardware.

The IPhone was an 80% success before they sold their first unit. They didn't make a mobile phone/PDA before because that section of the market was already saturated when they were still building up the IMac brand and developing OSX.

Bushranger

MBTI Type
INTP
I wish Linux would realize they need to be more compatible with the current styles of OS, command lines just aren't going to cut it.

I wish non-Linux people would realise that Linux is not a monolithic entity and is incapable of realising anything. I wish that they would realise that it is the Linux community that bends over backwards to be compatible with the other OS's. I wish they would realise that they don't need to use the command line any more. I wish that they would realise that for power users, the GUI alone is never going to cut it (Apple realise this, and that is why 80% of the best programmers I know own apple Powerbooks).