• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

RideShare vs. Taxis

Do you prefer rideshare or taxis?

• Rideshare

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Taxi

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Jar-Jar Binks

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What do you think about the two forms of hacks? I've known a lot of people to express dislike of Uber because they aren't unionized like taxis, but I can't say I agree with that.

• Who is unionized these days? I've never had a job that's been part of a union? It's nice work, I suppose, if you can get it, but not everybody can.
  • Apparently there is corruption with the taxi medallions, as I read something about someone in the Trump administration selling them at a severe markup.
  • Rideshares seem to be a good way for people to earn money on the side, a second job with low barriers to entry.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I was unaware the taxi industry was still alive. I support its downfall if it still can't innovate.

Uber is not a perfect company but they get the job done at a cheap rate. I've never been in a bad Uber. It has viable direct competition, so I'm not worried about this step into the future producing a monopoly.

I legitimately want to see someone argue for taxis.

á´…eparted

passages
Taxi's make me anxious, uncomfortable, and just find the experience of them to be unpleasent. Rideshare, not so much, so that's what I use when I need to.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ride Share, not taxis if possible. Taxis have a history of being a racket that are pretty exploitative of drivers and have some pretty shady practices for keeping rates high and their position in the market unchallenged. Uber is a little less worse in their practices, but not by much. Lyft is my preference.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Ride Share, not taxis if possible. Taxis have a history of being a racket that are pretty exploitative of drivers and have some pretty shady practices for keeping rates high and their position in the market unchallenged. Uber is a little less worse in their practices, but not by much. Lyft is my preference.

We go to Chicago frequently and never drive - always taxi. I agree they are quite a racket, shady and shitty for the drivers but I've never had any issue, even in NYC or other big cities. I have used Lyft a few times with great experiences. The Lyft drivers had no problem finding my house either, more than I can say for most people and Fed Ex. Never used Uber.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We go to Chicago frequently and never drive - always taxi. I agree they are quite a racket, shady and shitty for the drivers but I've never had any issue, even in NYC or other big cities. I have used Lyft a few times with great experiences. The Lyft drivers had no problem finding my house either, more than I can say for most people and Fed Ex. Never used Uber.

The one time I was in Chicago I took a taxi, dude got us to where we wanted to go and fast, but I swear he was on cocaine. I suppose that could happen with any service.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The one time I was in Chicago I took a taxi, dude got us to where we wanted to go and fast, but I swear he was on cocaine. I suppose that could happen with any service.

Yeah I've had that taxi driver too but I've also had very chill ones. It really is a crap shoot but the upside of ride share is that you can give reviews on drivers and passengers. Those can be just as bad as shit drivers. Example.....

Uber and Lyft Ban Right-Wing Activist Laura Loomer for Complaining About Muslim Drivers After New York Attack

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the rise of uber and lyft has really saved my life as an adult non-driver. i used to take taxis from time to time, and the cost was about triple what ridesharing apps charge, they would not show up half the time or give me a very inaccurate ETA, and the drivers were typically a lot worse than most uber/lyft drivers i’ve encountered.

the last time i took an actual taxi, uber came up and the driver went on this long rant ending in him complaining that they let women drive :doh:

i took the super cheap uber option today, where you have to walk a couple blocks to meet the driver. 5 mile ride for $1.75. cheaper than the train!!!

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ggggggggggggggggggg0lp 800

I trust taxi drivers more. That being said I most often take uber because it is generally more convenient. I have had some really awesome as well as really bad uber experiences. I'm concerned about safety and a lot of times they dont know where they are going. On the other hand I hate the taxi drivers that spend the whole time talking on their phone in a foreign language. Honestly limos are by far the best though they can be expensive.

rav3n

With so little at stake, I don't trust Uber but support its right to exist where others can use it if they wish. Taxi or limo for me, albeit that's rare since when I know I'll be driving, drinking less or not at all that evening's not a problem for me.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I trust taxi drivers more. That being said I most often take uber because it is generally more convenient. I have had some really awesome as well as really bad uber experiences. I'm concerned about safety and a lot of times they dont know where they are going. On the other hand I hate the taxi drivers that spend the whole time talking on their phone in a foreign language. Honestly limos are by far the best though they can be expensive.

With so little at stake, I don't trust Uber but support its right to exist where others can use it if they wish. Taxi or limo for me, albeit that's rare since when I know I'll be driving, drinking less or not at all that evening's not a problem for me.

I feel like somebody has to ask this... so you guys just order a limo to get from your hotel room to the airport, then? Is a limo an actually regular choice for you all?

rav3n

I feel like somebody has to ask this... so you guys just order a limo to get from your hotel room to the airport, then? Is a limo an actually regular choice for you all?
Refer to the bolded.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's not actually a real limousine typically. More like a town car or escalade or something like that. I haven't gotten picked up in a stretch limo for a while. For business travel a car service is a common choice to and from the airport. I've done it for personal travel numerous times as well. At work, my administrative assistant makes the arrangements with whoever is recommended by the company.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not actually a real limousine typically. More like a town car or escalade or something like that. I haven't gotten picked up in a stretch limo for a while. For business travel a car service is a common choice to and from the airport. I've done it for personal travel numerous times as well. At work, my administrative assistant makes the arrangements with whoever is recommended by the company.

Yeah, okay, I know what you mean. I've ridden with a couple Lyft drivers who did double duty with towncars back when the ride share thing was just starting, they'd hand out their card just in case. Definitely different style of service.