• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to you make your coffee? What's the best coffee machine ever?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I feel like I want to experiment with grinding whole beans, and see if it actually makes the difference they say it does.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I feel like I want to experiment with grinding whole beans, and see if it actually makes the difference they say it does.

I have not been following 100% so what experiment exactly? My husband is a total coffee nerd who loves to experiment with every part of coffee-making. He may have some answers.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have not been following 100% so what experiment exactly? My husband is a total coffee nerd who loves to experiment with every part of coffee-making. He may have some answers.

Just buying whole beans, grinding them, and brewing them.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Just buying whole beans, grinding them, and brewing them.

Oh yeah. That is what we do. It’s more of a pain, obviously, but the coarsness really does make a difference deoending on what sort if filter you’re using so that extra amount of control is nice. It tastes fresher too.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh yeah. That is what we do. It’s more of a pain, obviously, but the coarsness really does make a difference deoending on what sort if filter you’re using so that extra amount of control is nice. It tastes fresher too.

I've read it makes a big difference, although I'm not sure I believe it.

When I was in South America, I got to have some of the berries that surround the beans.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7

When I was in South America, I got to have some of the berries that surround the beans.

If you're a "Coffee snob" as my husband calls himself) and you like coffee for it's flavor-rather than just the caffeine-you might notice a sour taste when the coffee is over brewed, or if the grounds aren't right for the filter you're using. I find that the science in coffee is finding the best way to extract a rich flavor ( if you like it dark, which I do) while avoiding that sourness that tends to accompany the darker roasts.

Any good?

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It does, imo. The taste using pre-ground beans is ...flatter? Not sure how to describe it, but I do taste a difference.

I got this Cuisinart Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill last year:

713VYm%2BwuGL._SX466_.jpg

...because I'd read that having a uniform grind also makes a significant difference, and this particular grinder had a good rating for that. I don't personally notice much difference in taste as a result of uniform grind, but I'm still glad I got the grinder because I can determine the size of the grind with a setting (instead of simply grinding it until it looked right) *and* I just push a button and it automatically grinds a determined amount each morning. It's kinda a pain to clean every week or so, but much easier than cleaning smaller grinders more often. It comes apart easily and half of it can be put in a dishwashing machine.

I also find the uniform grind handy when making cold brew because smaller grinds can really clog up a filter.

As for brewers, I use a standard Mr. Coffee drip brewer. If I'm drinking the coffee hot, then I like hot brew more than cold brew because it has more of a kick.

For cold brew I have the Toddy cold-brewer. I dabbled in jerry-rigging a homemade brewer, but it's a pain in the ass to drain. This brewer makes it super easy.

41xnabJg%2BCL.jpg

I like cold brew for when I'm actually drinking the coffee cold. I'm not a big fan of using cold brew for hot coffee though. (Or it's possible I just haven't figured out how to do it right). One benefit of cold brew is that it's a lot smoother.

Another upside of brewing cold is that it's a lot less acidic. I have some problems with heartburn, and I expect I'll probably need to go mostly cold brew at some point in the future.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just as an aside, I'm not exactly a coffee snob, I enjoy great coffee, but I personally aim for daily adequate coffee. I have the same grinder as [MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION], bought it at a thrift store for $15, it's way better than my previous blade grinder. My main reason using whole bean is that it stores better and longer in quantity, saving me trips for coffee replenishment.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The retail for that grinder is $50, but I managed to find it on sale somewhere for $35. I'm really happy with it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you're a "Coffee snob" as my husband calls himself) and you like coffee for it's flavor-rather than just the caffeine-you might notice a sour taste when the coffee is over brewed, or if the grounds aren't right for the filter you're using. I find that the science in coffee is finding the best way to extract a rich flavor ( if you like it dark, which I do) while avoiding that sourness that tends to accompany the darker roasts.

Any good?

The taste, but not texture, was reminiscent of strawberries.

Neal Caffreynated

Artist/Playboy/Traveller
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well I've got a Nespresso pod machine at home and it's working rather well, I think it tastes good too :D

Otherwise there's a coffee vending machine in college but I'm not a big fan (quite frankly I think instant coffee should be banned :dry:) so I usually buy it outside - or I use the coffee machine in the teachers' lounge :newwink:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't drink coffee at home or work, I only drink tea.

I rarely drink coffee elsewhere, but if I do (insert 'but if I do' meme..), it's when I'm on vacation and treating myself / wanting something different. If a more 'frou frou' drink, it'll be a cappucino, with no sugar/anything in it. Though, I used to get mochas as my rare exception, which are more like a dessert but they're yummy. I don't like all of that sugar anymore, though. Otherwise it is something like you get at Philz coffee (in San Fran) -- just straight-up flavorful brewed coffee, and in that case I do like a little cream and sugar. But this is like a once a year thing for me. :)

IF I did coffee at home I'd prob just do french press - I like that type of coffee.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to not mind too much. I drank coffee whichever way, I didnt mind drinking it whichever way and wasnt very concerned with quality as long as it wasnt terrible. But then I got addicted to ice coffee.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I'm pretty tolerant of different coffee methods, but I cannot abide instant coffee. Other people regularly drinking and expecting me to drink instant coffee was one of the biggest culture shocks for me in the UK.
I think it's just the easy caffeine hit.

In my hometown, people will happily drink instant coffee with breakfast at home, but at a cafe they will send back any coffee that's not world class.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love the Keurig coffee machine, its so convenient and easy to use.

If I want to consume fancy coffee though, I go with the French press. It is great for removing bitterness. I have yet to try to European drip, which is another great way of making coffee.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've switched to drinking hot coffee made from cold brew concentrate because I wanted to cut creamer out of my diet and cold brew is smooth enough to drink black (hot brew black gives me heartburn, too acidic).

As an experiment I put a bit of vanilla bean powder into the brew (1 tsp vanilla bean powder per 1 lb coffee beans) and it smells amazing, but it's a little overpowering. I'll probably get sick of it before I've used it all. And if I do it again, I'll probably use a much, much smaller amount of vanilla.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
a French press at a campfire, there really is nothing better than that.