• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stephen Hawking: In Remembrance

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76

Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76, his family has said.

The British theoretical physicist was known for his groundbreaking work with black holes and relativity, and was the author of several popular science books including A Brief History of Time.

His children, Lucy, Robert and Tim, said: "We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today.

"He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years."

They praised his "courage and persistence" and said his "brilliance and humour" inspired people across the world.

"He once said, 'It would not be much of a universe if it wasn't home to the people you love.' We will miss him forever," they said.

On Pi day, no less.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:cry: He truly was a brilliant soul, may he rest in peace...

I was shocked when I first got the news through one of my college friends. I was like, "Please let this be a hoax," for the first two minutes or so... :cry:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yes, but he still lived decades more than his original diagnosis predicted, so that is something. 76 is ok-ish age to die.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I saw this today and wanted to share it but listen, if the word "ableist" triggers you and makes you want to @ me with nonsense about how SJWs are ruining language, don't because a) you're an idiot and b) this is about honoring Stephen Hawking

Getting pretty fucking annoyed at all the ableist reporting on Stephen Hawking’s death so like hey uh just a nice little summary of the core of literally every article about Stephen Hawking’s death and the reason why they fucking suck

Stephen Hawking didn’t achieve the things he did ‘despite’ his disability. He didn’t ‘overcome’ them in order to achieve what he did. He had a physical disability. He did physics. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Heck, as the fucking ableist mess of an article Buzzfeed posted said, he himself said "My disabilities have not been a significant handicap in my field, which is theoretical physics. Indeed, they have helped me in a way by shielding me from lecturing and administrative work that I would otherwise have been involved in.”

They also included a quote from another physicist that says “He thinks about the universe differently, due to his physical disability. That enabled him to make discoveries that no one else could make. And he has. They have shaken the foundations of physics.”

Stephen Hawking and his scientific discoveries weren’t made in spite of his disabilities. His scientific discoveries and the achievements he made happened with his disabilities, and possibly were informed by them, and his disabilities shouldn’t be shunned or seen as something that held him back while his achievements - that he’s literally said weren’t held back by his disability - are celebrated

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw this today and wanted to share it but listen, if the word "ableist" triggers you and makes you want to @ me with nonsense about how SJWs are ruining language, don't because a) you're an idiot and b) this is about honoring Stephen Hawking
Hawking said (wrote?) himself that his choice to go into theoretical physics turned out to be fortuitous, given his eventual medical condition. Had he chosen a career as an experimentalist or some entirely different occupation, things would have played out differently, though I don't doubt he would have been able to change directions accordingly.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't know what articles you've been reading, every one I have seen today have been glowing tributes to his brilliance.

---

I ran across this while glancing at the comments for an unrelated article. Thought it was hoax. Sad to find out it is not. Hoping my version of heaven is true and that we get to explore the cosmos upon death. That would be spectacular.

á´…eparted

passages
I owe a great deal to this man. We all owe a lot to to countless scientists out there for the innovations they bring, but Hawking is special in this case for me. The reason is the nature of the universe is something that means quite a lot to me on an emotional and philosophical level. If it were not for his contributions I would have a significantly less rich and detailed view of how the universe functions and ticks. As I get older this nature becomes more and more viscerally important to me. It's a fascinating place with such intricate simplicity. I am so grateful that he has expanded our knowledge of physics in such grand ways.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I'm going to see Neil deGrasse Tyson in 2 weeks and I look forward to what he may have to say about Hawking.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Interested in whether or not if stephen ends up finding out there is life after death if hes doing some serious calculations now.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interested in whether or not if stephen ends up finding out there is life after death if hes doing some serious calculations now.
As soon as I found out Stephen Hawking had died, I immediately had this picture in my mind, in the manner of a cartoon, of him being ushered through the Pearly Gates into heaven by St Peter. St. Peter puts his arm around Hawking's shoulders and says, "Come on in! Want to see how close you got?"

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
As soon as I found out Stephen Hawking had died, I immediately had this picture in my mind, in the manner of a cartoon, of him being ushered through the Pearly Gates into heaven by St Peter. St. Peter puts his arm around Hawking's shoulders and says, "Come on in! Want to see how close you got?"
lol i love this visual..

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Kind of a miracle he lasted as long as he did, with his condition. More miraculous might be what he accomplished in spite of it.

He’ll be missed.

I’ll share my best memories below:

Kas

Fabula rasa
It's great that he got enough time to do so much, despite of disease.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That was a good age to die especially considering his disease. I don't think I would want to live more than 80 unless I am extremely fit and healthy.

I think with the enthusiasm and development of science there would be more people like him.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Maybe they did show up but invisibility technology had been created and thus they were undetectable.
Maybe only aliens who exist in a realm outside of human perception showed up.
The world may never know.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
He was a brilliant man who achieved so much despite his condition and on another note I wonder what would he make of all theoretical after death cases on a theoretical physics level and I wonder if we could write a serious physics book detailing how plausibly we can create all after death cases.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He was a brilliant man who achieved so much despite his condition and on another note I wonder what would he make of all theoretical after death cases on a theoretical physics level and I wonder if we could write a serious physics book detailing how plausibly we can create all after death cases.
What do you mean by "after death cases"?