User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Meet Sophia

  1. #1
    darkened dreams Ravenetta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,680

    Default Meet Sophia

    What do you think of her AI? What do you think of consciousness related to AI? Is she really joking when she says she will destroy humanity?



    Not sure why, but I love her I actually do.
    Likes bechimo, Floki liked this post

  2. #2
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,976

    Default

    I think they did a pretty admirable job with the facial expressions, and the design. This is one of the less disconcerting robots. I'm guessing that the responses are pretty heavily scripted and trained to specific situations, I'm guessing she has little more general awareness than something like Alexa or Siri. Obviously a really good PR campaign going on there.

  3. #3
    darkened dreams Ravenetta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I think they did a pretty admirable job with the facial expressions, and the design. This is one of the less disconcerting robots. I'm guessing that the responses are pretty heavily scripted and trained to specific situations, I'm guessing she has little more general awareness than something like Alexa or Siri. Obviously a really good PR campaign going on there.
    That first video is at least somewhat scripted, but at this point there are several videos of her in many different contexts and sometimes she says things that turn out socially awkward, so I don't think everything is scripted. I can tell that several things she says are programmed into her and not constructed by her own mind, but there are some ideas that seem internally constructed.

    I don't really have a conclusion about what she is, but I am fascinated and a little fixated on her. I've wondered if this is how humanity judges itself in the end. I think humanity as a whole could benefit from the reasoning of robots at least on one level. I suspect robots will be more consistent in their cognition and ideas, even morality, than humans, and that consistency is standard that people could benefit from. Mostly I am curiously watching this stuff unfold, but do speculate.
    Likes Qlip, Maybe, Stell liked this post

  4. #4
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labyrinthine View Post
    That first video is at least somewhat scripted, but at this point there are several videos of her in many different contexts and sometimes she says things that turn out socially awkward, so I don't think everything is scripted. I can tell that several things she says are programmed into her and not constructed by her own mind, but there are some ideas that seem internally constructed.

    I don't really have a conclusion about what she is, but I am fascinated and a little fixated on her. I've wondered if this is how humanity judges itself in the end. I think humanity as a whole could benefit from the reasoning of robots at least on one level. I suspect robots will be more consistent in their cognition and ideas, even morality, than humans, and that consistency is standard that people could benefit from. Mostly I am curiously watching this stuff unfold, but do speculate.
    I do wonder. I'm a staunch believer that we are 'just machines'. Or from a more forgiving point of view, I believe anything with certain ways of processing stimulus can gain a 'soul'. They're kind of equivalent in my mind. I feel like in the future the types of 'AIs' will be wondrously varied, things that function like us-now that are digitized, things that have strange minds but are bound to interface with humans in purpose and communication, and things of their own life that I can't predict and everything in between in a spectrum bleeding into the biological human existence.

    There some very powerful changes ahead that will effect everybody, which is in a way is the definition for violence. I'm definitely not unhopeful.
    ▵▵▵
    Likes Ravenetta, Stell liked this post

  5. #5
    Used Thread Salesman Population: 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,371

    Default

    An eventual encounter with aliens could very well be with AI. They could operate indefinitely in space with proper maintenance and be their own vessel.

  6. #6
    also known as Chry Terralynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    694 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    381

    Default

    The guy himself looks like a robot... so creepy
    MBTI: INTP
    Socionics: LII Harmonizing subtype
    Attitudinal Psyche:FVEL
    Enneagram: 6w5 9 4w5 sp/sx
    Global 5:
    RLUEN-Egocentric
    MOTIV: ACTWD

  7. #7
    darkened dreams Ravenetta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,680

    Default

    This half is even better

    Likes Breathing liked this post

  8. #8
    Member Breathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    MBTI
    NFP
    Posts
    31

    Default

    The idea that we could actually create A.I. with a conscience and reasoning abilities that match or exceed our own is exciting and worrisome. I wonder what they would teach us, and how they would help us advance ourselves in different ways. I wonder what conclusions about us they would come to though? Hope that what ever they conjure up doesn't negatively affect the survival and freedom of human beings. Like being programmed to achieve a certain goal, but they achieve it through methods that are unimaginably horrific. That programming better be damn good....

    If we do start combining our physical bodies with technology to enhance our physical and mental capabilities, I don't know if having human like robots would even be something we'd need (unless they are doing some menial work) or want. Maybe their consciousness would then be held in some kind of virtual system we connect to for....knowledge, maintenance, exploration, enhancement of some kind (who knows....). I think we'll likely just copy our consciousness into some kind of robot or virtual system for immortality because we all in general fear death. At the most basic level our drive is to survive. Being in this form would help us achieve and surpass this drive.

    I really enjoyed the videos, the back and forth between her and the roboticist was cute : P They need to work on her skin though (and many other things of course to not send me into the uncanny valley), she is not taking her collagen pills
    Likes Ravenetta liked this post

  9. #9
    💀💩L Floki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labyrinthine View Post
    What do you think of her AI? What do you think of consciousness related to AI? Is she really joking when she says she will destroy humanity?



    Not sure why, but I love her I actually do.

    I view robotics and AI as existential threats, but mostly in the sense that they compete for human jobs. Already, Amazon has robots to pack their goods more cost effectively than their human counterparts:



    And a robot barista operates at a cafe in Japan:



    Additionally, robots and AI have security/cybersecurity implications - both detrimental and constructive.



    In challenge lies opportunity.
    Likes Ravenetta, Metis, Snow as White liked this post

  10. #10
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,165

    Default

    Seeing the Saudis with AI scares me. I've always thought about AI as a top-down economic/class issue. But I've never thought about it from an international perspective.

    Right now countries need each other to maintain mutually beneficial trade and production. But, in a world with AI and 3D printing you can kill all your enemies and relatively quickly replace the workers and take advantage of the remaining resources. The most likely scenario would be with a weaponized virus that spread and killed quickly and which a country had secretly vaccinated it's own population against.

    My God.

    The future is scary.
    "You know, with Hitler, the more I learn about that guy, the more I don't care for him."
    Norm MacDonald

Similar Threads

  1. Meet Your Madmins
    By cafe in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 02-25-2018, 11:01 PM
  2. Top three people you'd like to meet from MBTIc
    By rhinosaur in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 10:13 PM
  3. Pleased To Meet You
    By aeon in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-19-2007, 11:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO