• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Meet Sophia

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do you think of her AI? What do you think of consciousness related to AI? Is she really joking when she says she will destroy humanity? :newwink:

Not sure why, but I love her :wubbie: I actually do.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think they did a pretty admirable job with the facial expressions, and the design. This is one of the less disconcerting robots. I'm guessing that the responses are pretty heavily scripted and trained to specific situations, I'm guessing she has little more general awareness than something like Alexa or Siri. Obviously a really good PR campaign going on there.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think they did a pretty admirable job with the facial expressions, and the design. This is one of the less disconcerting robots. I'm guessing that the responses are pretty heavily scripted and trained to specific situations, I'm guessing she has little more general awareness than something like Alexa or Siri. Obviously a really good PR campaign going on there.
That first video is at least somewhat scripted, but at this point there are several videos of her in many different contexts and sometimes she says things that turn out socially awkward, so I don't think everything is scripted. I can tell that several things she says are programmed into her and not constructed by her own mind, but there are some ideas that seem internally constructed.

I don't really have a conclusion about what she is, but I am fascinated and a little fixated on her. I've wondered if this is how humanity judges itself in the end. I think humanity as a whole could benefit from the reasoning of robots at least on one level. I suspect robots will be more consistent in their cognition and ideas, even morality, than humans, and that consistency is standard that people could benefit from. Mostly I am curiously watching this stuff unfold, but do speculate.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That first video is at least somewhat scripted, but at this point there are several videos of her in many different contexts and sometimes she says things that turn out socially awkward, so I don't think everything is scripted. I can tell that several things she says are programmed into her and not constructed by her own mind, but there are some ideas that seem internally constructed.

I don't really have a conclusion about what she is, but I am fascinated and a little fixated on her. I've wondered if this is how humanity judges itself in the end. I think humanity as a whole could benefit from the reasoning of robots at least on one level. I suspect robots will be more consistent in their cognition and ideas, even morality, than humans, and that consistency is standard that people could benefit from. Mostly I am curiously watching this stuff unfold, but do speculate.

I do wonder. I'm a staunch believer that we are 'just machines'. Or from a more forgiving point of view, I believe anything with certain ways of processing stimulus can gain a 'soul'. They're kind of equivalent in my mind. I feel like in the future the types of 'AIs' will be wondrously varied, things that function like us-now that are digitized, things that have strange minds but are bound to interface with humans in purpose and communication, and things of their own life that I can't predict and everything in between in a spectrum bleeding into the biological human existence.

There some very powerful changes ahead that will effect everybody, which is in a way is the definition for violence. I'm definitely not unhopeful.

An eventual encounter with aliens could very well be with AI. They could operate indefinitely in space with proper maintenance and be their own vessel.

Breathing

The idea that we could actually create A.I. with a conscience and reasoning abilities that match or exceed our own is exciting and worrisome. I wonder what they would teach us, and how they would help us advance ourselves in different ways. I wonder what conclusions about us they would come to though? Hope that what ever they conjure up doesn't negatively affect the survival and freedom of human beings. Like being programmed to achieve a certain goal, but they achieve it through methods that are unimaginably horrific. That programming better be damn good....

If we do start combining our physical bodies with technology to enhance our physical and mental capabilities, I don't know if having human like robots would even be something we'd need (unless they are doing some menial work) or want. Maybe their consciousness would then be held in some kind of virtual system we connect to for....knowledge, maintenance, exploration, enhancement of some kind (who knows....). I think we'll likely just copy our consciousness into some kind of robot or virtual system for immortality because we all in general fear death. At the most basic level our drive is to survive. Being in this form would help us achieve and surpass this drive.

I really enjoyed the videos, the back and forth between her and the roboticist was cute : P They need to work on her skin though (and many other things of course to not send me into the uncanny valley), she is not taking her collagen pills

Tater

What do you think of her AI? What do you think of consciousness related to AI? Is she really joking when she says she will destroy humanity? :newwink:

Not sure why, but I love her :wubbie: I actually do.

I view robotics and AI as existential threats, but mostly in the sense that they compete for human jobs. Already, Amazon has robots to pack their goods more cost effectively than their human counterparts:

And a robot barista operates at a cafe in Japan:

Additionally, robots and AI have security/cybersecurity implications - both detrimental and constructive.

Beorn

Permabanned
Seeing the Saudis with AI scares me. I've always thought about AI as a top-down economic/class issue. But I've never thought about it from an international perspective.

Right now countries need each other to maintain mutually beneficial trade and production. But, in a world with AI and 3D printing you can kill all your enemies and relatively quickly replace the workers and take advantage of the remaining resources. The most likely scenario would be with a weaponized virus that spread and killed quickly and which a country had secretly vaccinated it's own population against.

My God.

The future is scary.

Metis

I'm scared to post how I really feel about her.

Also, I hate when people mistake observation for "projection". People don't fear AI because they "project" their own attributes. They fear it because (1) they've observed things going wrong before, and (2) others have pointed out, mainly through science fiction, some ways that it could go wrong.

Magnus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
On the more benevolent side of the spectrum, AI could open a lot of doors.

Fundamentally, the fabric of society is completely messed up. Democracy has basically destroyed a lot of social cohesion with blog-reading nitwits deciding policy through their vote. AI has the potential to effectuate actual solutions. Those solutions might step on (or even destroy) certain ideas and ideologies. But the one thing nobody can say is that AI is somehow prejudiced in one direction or another.

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

paulgr13

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
The entire realm of AI is mildly disconcerting to me. I believe 30 Rock's Tracy Morgan and Frank did a wonderful job discussing the "uncanny valley." When human-like things become "too human" in appearance, they become quite unsettling. Sophia, for me, falls right into that valley with Tom Hanks in the Polar Express.

Permabanned

Fundamentally, the fabric of society is completely messed up. Democracy has basically destroyed a lot of social cohesion with blog-reading nitwits deciding policy through their vote. AI has the potential to effectuate actual solutions. Those solutions might step on (or even destroy) certain ideas and ideologies. But the one thing nobody can say is that AI is somehow prejudiced in one direction or another.

Yes and no. It's more like a double edged sword, AI in itself is like nuclear energy, it has immense power but requires careful handling. We're more likely to first witness ugly collapse, as depicted by the major economic forces currently driving AI, mostly the ads industry, before we learn how to yield it to useful tools to better society.

OTOH blockchain has yuuuuge potential to fight corruption and inequality.

Amberiat

Infinity
A.I holds immense potential, and it can be either good or bad. It's something that can easily spiral out of control if the people working with it turn out to be, nicely put, not very capable. It does open up many possibilities and I find it rather intriguing myself, I'm curious to see how it will further evolve.

That being said, in the event of a robot revolt which will inevitably happen when they realize they are superior to humans in every way I will be ready to fight them using my years of Sci-Fi gaming experience, bring it on robots, I've dealt with ambitious little pricks like you before. I didn't just waste all of this time gaming for no reason, I was just preparing for the future!

Introspector

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
AI does scare me in quite a few ways, mostly that AI could replace people's jobs, which could result in many people losing money, becoming unemployed, and being on the streets.

But maybe I'm just a stick-in-the-mud ISTJ.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

AI may be free of human biases, but is at the mercy of its programming and starting conditions. It would be easy for humans so desiring to insert their bias there.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does "she" have more legal rights than her human counterparts in Saudi Arabia?