User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Thread: Meet Sophia

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    In the future, people will be laughing that we were scared of AI's. It will be a thing of the past
    But, will they be right or wrong to laugh???

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

If an AI has legitimate consciousness and human-level intelligence, then they automatically qualify to be treated as morally as any other person. If there must be an agnosticism on the nature of this sentience, then we should behave morally anyway. Moral behaviour is inherently rewarding and immorality is only consequentially negative. AI could be our greatest friends, so we should certainly humble ourselves to our own immorality.
    "We spend our lives fighting to get people very slightly more stupid than ourselves to accept truths that the great men have always known. They have known for thousands of years that to lock a sick person into solitary confinement makes him worse. They have known for thousands of years that a poor man who is frightened of his landlord and of the police is a slave. They have known it. We know it. But do the British people know it?"

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenDawn View Post
    If an AI has legitimate consciousness and human-level intelligence, then they automatically qualify to be treated as morally as any other person. If there must be an agnosticism on the nature of this sentience, then we should behave morally anyway. Moral behaviour is inherently rewarding and immorality is only consequentially negative. AI could be our greatest friends, so we should certainly humble ourselves to our own immorality.

Just if there are circuits that can mimic human state of mind that doesn't mean that we should do anything moral about it. We can but making this a rule can prove to be counter-productive on the long run.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    Just if there are circuits that can mimic human state of mind that doesn't mean that we should do anything moral about it. We can but making this a rule can prove to be counter-productive on the long run.
    We never need an excuse to be moral.
    "We spend our lives fighting to get people very slightly more stupid than ourselves to accept truths that the great men have always known. They have known for thousands of years that to lock a sick person into solitary confinement makes him worse. They have known for thousands of years that a poor man who is frightened of his landlord and of the police is a slave. They have known it. We know it. But do the British people know it?"

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenDawn View Post
    We never need an excuse to be moral.

I am sorry but to me giving human rights to machines is just pure BS. No matter how much "human like" they are.
    Also by that logic pushing a self-driving car off the cliff would in a way count as murder ... and that is ridiculus.

People tend to think on the "If it looks like a duck, if it moves like a duck, if it sounds like a duck ... then it must be a duck" basis. However with modern technology in the mix that reasoning is no longer 100% correct.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    I am sorry but to me giving human rights to machines is just pure BS. No matter how much "human like" they are.
    Also by that logic pushing a self-driving car off the cliff would in a way count as murder ... and that is ridiculus.

People tend to think on the "If it looks like a duck, if it moves like a duck, if it sounds like a duck ... then it must be a duck" basis. However with modern technology in the mix that reasoning is no longer 100% correct.
    I'm not interested in a stress-heavy debate about this. If you disagree, that's fine. You can jump the gun and argue all these contentious points with another individual. I've shared the stance that I wish to share.

This subject is so all encompassing. It touches on questions of the definition of life, intelligence, what is to be human, what is ultimately the difference between biological and synthetic intelligence but material composition. Are humans not a sum of biological programming? What is DNA if not a programming language? Do we not have adaptive programs? At the end of the day are Data (Star Trek TNG), Roy Batty (Blade Runner) or Ava (Ex Machina) any less alive?

If true AI is ever achieved the moral and ethical implications of how we proceed have to be considered. It’s an endlessly fascinating subject and one I mull over frequently.

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Sophia is a toaster. A tool. An animatronic at most.

It is an "it." So are Alexa and Siri.

I'm sure that I'm going to be seen as a Strom Thurmond in a hundred years or so, but I'll deal with that issue then.
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

To the waters of the wild Siúil a Rún's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

Wow

minute 15:35 onwards
    "How long can you remain safe?"
    "How long can you remain safe?"

To the waters of the wild Siúil a Rún's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

Minute 14:00 when she asks Neil deGrasse Tyson a question.