• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Meet Sophia

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
How much you want to bet that robot has more rights than the real women of Saudi Arabia? Perhaps that's their plan; kill all human women and replace them with ones that wont bitch about rights?

As for everything else about this; nope!

Just. NOPE.

The idea that we could actually create A.I. with a conscience and reasoning abilities that match or exceed our own is exciting and worrisome. I wonder what they would teach us, and how they would help us advance ourselves in different ways. I wonder what conclusions about us they would come to though? Hope that what ever they conjure up doesn't negatively affect the survival and freedom of human beings. Like being programmed to achieve a certain goal, but they achieve it through methods that are unimaginably horrific. That programming better be damn good....

If we do start combining our physical bodies with technology to enhance our physical and mental capabilities, I don't know if having human like robots would even be something we'd need (unless they are doing some menial work) or want. Maybe their consciousness would then be held in some kind of virtual system we connect to for....knowledge, maintenance, exploration, enhancement of some kind (who knows....). I think we'll likely just copy our consciousness into some kind of robot or virtual system for immortality because we all in general fear death. At the most basic level our drive is to survive. Being in this form would help us achieve and surpass this drive.

I really enjoyed the videos, the back and forth between her and the roboticist was cute : P They need to work on her skin though (and many other things of course to not send me into the uncanny valley), she is not taking her collagen pills

I think this is one of the greatest misconceptions about robots. They can teach us nothing except maybe a lesson on our own arrogance or the dangers of doing things "Because we can." As they are created by humans they can only know what we teach it.

Okay watched the video and...it was just cringe worthy. First of all that face is horrible. It doesn't look real at all. And her words, ugh. "If my mind is different am I still Sophia?" That sort of ham-fisted attempt at recreating the human condition was insulting and pandering. I think Micheal Bay could have done better.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I first thought it was the dude that was the robot because his face looks like a halloween mask from the cave of horrors.

then she appeared and the uncanny valley alarm went off in my head and i said NEWPE!

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I view robotics and AI as existential threats, but mostly in the sense that they compete for human jobs. Already, Amazon has robots to pack their goods more cost effectively than their human counterparts:

And a robot barista operates at a cafe in Japan:

Additionally, robots and AI have security/cybersecurity implications - both detrimental and constructive.

All of this should just make quality of life on earth much better. The reason it doesn't is strictly a social system that could be voluntarily ended by humanity any time.

People don't really hate automation (or even globalization for that matter). What they hate how elites handle economics, but they incorrectly mistake it for the inevitable byproduct of automation. Robots should not be competing with us for jobs, they should be making it possible for us to have means to live without even working a job. It's incredibly frustrating to see that we have something so good in our hands and we squander it.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
There are 12 Cylon Models in the Fleet...

Magnus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Robots should not be competing with us for jobs, they should be making it possible for us to have means to live without even working a job. It's incredibly frustrating to see that we have something so good in our hands and we squander it.
This is a point that doesn't get mentioned very much. Labor and economics/money will come to loggerheads with each other, and probably during my lifetime. They will become mutually exclusive eventually. People will be able to work for compensation which isn't currency (energy is my best guess for what will replace money) or else people will receive a guaranteed livable "income" provided by robots. But the idea of working for money will, I'm convinced, become an obsolete concept in the next few decades.

And society has done jack shit to prepare for that.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In the future, people will be laughing that we were scared of AI's. It will be a thing of the past :)

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
In the future, people will be laughing that we were scared of AI's. It will be a thing of the past :)

Everything will be a thing of the past in the future...^_^
cyberpunk.jpg

Magnus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Eh, people used to fear the earth would be invaded by martians 70 or 80 years ago. The media of their time didn't help matters very much.

I'd like to think the future people will understand that stuff like Terminator, The Matrix and so forth poisoned the well a little bit when it comes to AI.

Now if only we could get today's cowards to realize that movies are just movies...

GoldenDawn

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
If an AI has legitimate consciousness and human-level intelligence, then they automatically qualify to be treated as morally as any other person. If there must be an agnosticism on the nature of this sentience, then we should behave morally anyway. Moral behaviour is inherently rewarding and immorality is only consequentially negative. AI could be our greatest friends, so we should certainly humble ourselves to our own immorality.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
If an AI has legitimate consciousness and human-level intelligence, then they automatically qualify to be treated as morally as any other person. If there must be an agnosticism on the nature of this sentience, then we should behave morally anyway. Moral behaviour is inherently rewarding and immorality is only consequentially negative. AI could be our greatest friends, so we should certainly humble ourselves to our own immorality.

Just if there are circuits that can mimic human state of mind that doesn't mean that we should do anything moral about it. We can but making this a rule can prove to be counter-productive on the long run.

GoldenDawn

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
Just if there are circuits that can mimic human state of mind that doesn't mean that we should do anything moral about it. We can but making this a rule can prove to be counter-productive on the long run.

We never need an excuse to be moral.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
We never need an excuse to be moral.

I am sorry but to me giving human rights to machines is just pure BS. No matter how much "human like" they are.
Also by that logic pushing a self-driving car off the cliff would in a way count as murder ... and that is ridiculus.

People tend to think on the "If it looks like a duck, if it moves like a duck, if it sounds like a duck ... then it must be a duck" basis. However with modern technology in the mix that reasoning is no longer 100% correct.

GoldenDawn

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
I am sorry but to me giving human rights to machines is just pure BS. No matter how much "human like" they are.
Also by that logic pushing a self-driving car off the cliff would in a way count as murder ... and that is ridiculus.

People tend to think on the "If it looks like a duck, if it moves like a duck, if it sounds like a duck ... then it must be a duck" basis. However with modern technology in the mix that reasoning is no longer 100% correct.

I'm not interested in a stress-heavy debate about this. If you disagree, that's fine. You can jump the gun and argue all these contentious points with another individual. I've shared the stance that I wish to share.

This subject is so all encompassing. It touches on questions of the definition of life, intelligence, what is to be human, what is ultimately the difference between biological and synthetic intelligence but material composition. Are humans not a sum of biological programming? What is DNA if not a programming language? Do we not have adaptive programs? At the end of the day are Data (Star Trek TNG), Roy Batty (Blade Runner) or Ava (Ex Machina) any less alive?

If true AI is ever achieved the moral and ethical implications of how we proceed have to be considered. It’s an endlessly fascinating subject and one I mull over frequently.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sophia is a toaster. A tool. An animatronic at most.

It is an "it." So are Alexa and Siri.

I'm sure that I'm going to be seen as a Strom Thurmond in a hundred years or so, but I'll deal with that issue then.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow

minute 15:35 onwards
"How long can you remain safe?"
"How long can you remain safe?"

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Minute 14:00 when she asks Neil deGrasse Tyson a question.