• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Linux?

Do you have linux?

• NT - Yes

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • NT - No, but I have considered

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • NT - No

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • NF - Yes

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • NF - No, but I have considered

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • NF - No

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • SP - Yes

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • SP - No, but I have considered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SP - No

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • SJ - Yes

• SJ - No, but I have considered

• SJ - No

• Total voters

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have plenty of data I simply don't *want* to lose. Like umpteen gigs of mp3s, movies/TV shows, digital picture archives... etc. (Digital packrat, yeah, I know)

RAID5 doesn't suck, you just have to use it for the right reasons. It's more economical on space than RAID10 and still gives great read performance (just its write perf. sucks ass compared to raid10). At least, on any consumer-level RAID device. (Buy an EMC Symmetrix, for instance, and they claim RAID5's performance difference is negligible versus RAID10) I don't trust RAID10 any more than RAID5 to handle double-disk failures since RAID10 can fault on a double-disk failure in the right scenario; I'd use RAID6 if super-high-availability was my goal.

But for data protection, backups are the only solution :)
Yeah, I know, and I never back anything up.

Disks are so cheap nowadays, I wouldn't consider RAID5 for anything commercial and for personal use, most people's storage requirements aren't going to make RAID 0+1 much more expensive than 5 anyway.

Who is gonna buy an EMC Symmetrix for home use? You might as well buy a John Deere to do your lawn.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Who is gonna buy an EMC Symmetrix for home use? You might as well buy a John Deere to do your lawn.

I dunno, but I'd like to see someone who has... that would be funny. I do know someone who has an EMC Clariion in their basement. Supposedly got it "second hand" from an old job :laugh:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dunno, but I'd like to see someone who has... that would be funny. I do know someone who has an EMC Clariion in their basement. Supposedly got it "second hand" from an old job :laugh:

Yeah. Geeks have all sorts of strange stuff in their basements. ;)

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I have Ubuntu on my desktop PC. I mainly use my Macbook Pro, but it's my secondary OS. Windows sucks.

If the point of type-voting was to say something about Open-source VS Closed-source software my vote counts for nothing really. I only started using Linux because I found it better, not because it's cheaper or more "communist".

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
^ you have a RAID 0 array for your home PC?
Poseur!
*jealous*

Multi-boots are more trouble than they're worth, IME.

Have you tried virtualization? Makes life easier if you can trash it all and start again, as long as you have the resources to make it feasible.
I used to have RAID 0, but changed to just 2 SATA drives instead. I haven't done any video processing yet to see what the real world performance difference will be.

I tried some LiveCD's of different distros, but wanted to do a real install to get the full experience of the two most popular distros. I might do a virtual install just to try it though.

haha raid0...

*has 4-disk RAID5 on his fileserver downstairs worth about 1TB, running ubuntu 7.10, and a 2-disk raid1 (500GB SATA) plus lone WD Raptor 10K-rpm SATA in his other server, the AMD Opteron with 4GB RAM which acts as a router & VMware server, running ubuntu 7.04*
Used to rock raid1 with my main workstation in my room, but I opted instead to buy an external SATA dock and just install separate O/S's on separate SATA disks and swap them when switching O/S. All my important data goes on the servers downstairs.
Think I need to do a nice O/S refresh on those servers though.

*quits showing off*
:rofl1:

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I used to have RAID 0, but changed to just 2 SATA drives instead. I haven't done any video processing yet to see what the real world performance difference will be.

I tried some LiveCD's of different distros, but wanted to do a real install to get the full experience of the two most popular distros. I might do a virtual install just to try it though.

:rofl1:

Why I won't try Linux:
:doh: This is giving me flashbacks from my experience with Red Hat 4.1.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I have Ubuntu on my desktop PC. I mainly use my Macbook Pro, but it's my secondary OS. Windows sucks.

If the point of type-voting was to say something about Open-source VS Closed-source software my vote counts for nothing really. I only started using Linux because I found it better, not because it's cheaper or more "communist".

personally, i believe that those are closely linked. it is a better environment when everyone can chip in and improve a product. closed source means that you never really know what the fuck is in your OS.

locke

MBTI Type
INFJ
Linux obsidian 2.6.25-gentoo-r7 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 21 15:29:52 PDT 2008 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Free Software attracts NFs and freeloaders alike. XP Service Pack 3 includes WGA so it's a bit trickier to avoid it now.

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
ENFP and love Xubuntu. I got Flash working through wine and programming is so much more error free!

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
haha, awesome!! We NFs are the leading linux users so far.

I want multitouch for my macbook!! Cos I like linux better than OSX but have to hit the touchpad to right or middle click. It always makes me cringe. Problem solved if at desk and plugged into external mouse. But in a way that defeats the idea of having a notebook.

Chukamok

MBTI Type
IXFP
I used to use Suse and before that RedHat. Now I use Ubuntu. I started with Hardy Heron and now I'm using Intrepid Ibex.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Still lovin' Intrepid. That 3D desktop on my old work laptop (an impressive feat in itself, since it's an Intel 3D chipset) is popular eye candy among my coworkers :D

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
I won't switch if there's not a major difference between it and 8.04... I don't need the baggage.

Cameigons

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
4w3
<3 linux, been using it since... 1997? All my computers at home run it (Ubuntu), although I dual boot windows XP on my workstation in my room (and have XP running on a virtual machine on the downstairs linux router/server). It helps that I deal primarily with Linux at my workplace... (thus my work laptop also runs linux :D)

I personally hate Windows and everything Microsoft stands for with a passion. Microsoft could die and I would only cheer. Any software I've ever written has been released under the GPL.

My feelings are the same :worthy:

BTW, notice how the NF people all have linux according to the poll. I would have thought that NTs are the more nerdy people.

I believe we're attracted to the cause involved. Plus linux is more secure, customizable, stable. etc.

Currently I've got multiboot Ubuntu 8.04 / windows xp / FreeBSD 7.0
I do everything on Ubuntu, unfortunately except for media edition and gaming(rarely).

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Have tried -
Kubuntu
Ubuntu
Fedora
SUSE
PCBSD
FreeBSD

Now using with pride -
Vista Prem 64
XP 64

Looking forward to-
Windows 7

Tried them, junked them, moved on. I was NOT happy with my linux smile... to say the least.