• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Linux?

Do you have linux?

• NT - Yes

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • NT - No, but I have considered

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • NT - No

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • NF - Yes

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • NF - No, but I have considered

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • NF - No

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • SP - Yes

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • SP - No, but I have considered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SP - No

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • SJ - Yes

• SJ - No, but I have considered

• SJ - No

• Total voters

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ubuntu sucks... Gentoo! But Linux is to complicated and outdated in my opinion. Probably easier for someone who is a real geek, but I don't have the patience for it.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Im no geek. But that's why I like ubuntu, since it keeps update. Much better than the illegal windows i never dared to update in case they are spying.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dude... There are probably a hundred million illegal copies of windows out there. I'm like the only one I know who don't have a bloody bootleg.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
But I am paranoid, since I'm not geeky enough to know what they can and cant do... :ninja:

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I have a copy of damnsmalllinux and i've been thinking of dual-partitioning with it, or downloading ubuntu, which has been my favorite variety of linux.

As long as I dont have to mess with the vi editor, I like linux.
lowercase b for "back one word"
capital W for "forward one word"
0 for "beginning of current line"
$ for "end of current line"
x for "delete the next character"

God damn, just use simple things like backspace.
I'll stick to programming in Visual Studio or Notepad. :p. Go windows?

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Dude, you have a legal copy too ? Wow, we are probably single handedly keeping microsoft afloat, because I don't know anyone else with a legal copy of windows.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Oh, siht, I should have made the poll about legal windows copies.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Nope, I've got Mac OSX 10.4.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
But I am paranoid, since I'm not geeky enough to know what they can and cant do... :ninja:

Answer...Nothing! Two things, and you'll be set...Turn automatic updates to "Notify but don't download or install". Download whatever updates you want, except "WGA Notifications." There's your updates with a cracked copy of windows. (There are ways to use normal "Windows Update", but it requires more effort.)

If you try to access the windows update site and your windows isn't "genuine", all that happens is that it says "Windows is not genuine." There is no penalty, or other problem.

I use Windows for my main machines. Linux is on my router and server, along with my netbook. (Small, cheap laptop)

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Not recently. I've tried it on two or three occasions over the years, and although it wasn't bad, and there were a ton of options, it got to be just too much work to get the "simple" things to work correctly, if I could get them to work at all. Now it has been a few years since I last tried it, and I know that there have been improvements, but I decided to get a Mac this spring, and I've been pretty happy with it, so I doubt I'll be looking at Linux again, at least for a few years.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Exactly what do people do with Linux? There is considerably less software that supports the operating system.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Exactly what do people do with Linux? There is considerably less software that supports the operating system.

I do the normal stuff. Browse the net, and so on.. Plus graphics. Vectors, digipainting with wacom. Lately I have been trying to learn use a 3d software. All works for me. The things I cant get on ubuntu are:

1) Good video edit software. (the ones I found have some very essential stuff missing)

2) Compositing software (to replace after effects)

The absence of compositing software is real problem for me so I have to keep windows installed even if I dont use it for anything else.

The main reason "why" I use it is because it is free and because I like the "philosophy" that people all around the world collaborate in making it better all the time.

Not recently. I've tried it on two or three occasions over the years, and although it wasn't bad, and there were a ton of options, it got to be just too much work to get the "simple" things to work correctly, if I could get them to work at all. Now it has been a few years since I last tried it, and I know that there have been improvements, but I decided to get a Mac this spring, and I've been pretty happy with it, so I doubt I'll be looking at Linux again, at least for a few years.

I also tried red hat something like five years ago. I was so frustrated I quit. But when I tried Ubuntu two years ago, it worked. After that I have slowly moved in more and more and at the moment I have no actual need for windows (other than the after effects). And during just these two years, Ubuntu has improved A LOT.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've used it on some of my computers for a long time now. Although I still use Windows on one of them.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had linux at one point- I hated it (all except for Super Tux- who can't love a rip off of Super Mario Bros. w/ a penguin?).

I kicked it's ass to the curb and went right back to the loving embrace of windows.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
yep, i jumped on board not long ago. i just get sick with windows. they are dirty, dirty businessmen trying to rip you off with a product that does not look out for your best interest. windows works wonders when you first get it, but sooner or later it gets destroyed by viruses, spyware and whatnot. those updates piss me off too. more often than not they just slow things down and fuck things up.

linux on the other hand is free from the chains of capitalism. it is open source and it's free. software will become bigger than businesses trying to make a quick buck, it should be a sharing, mutual gain concept. go e-marxism! :D

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
<3 linux, been using it since... 1997? All my computers at home run it (Ubuntu), although I dual boot windows XP on my workstation in my room (and have XP running on a virtual machine on the downstairs linux router/server). It helps that I deal primarily with Linux at my workplace... (thus my work laptop also runs linux :D)

I personally hate Windows and everything Microsoft stands for with a passion. Microsoft could die and I would only cheer. Any software I've ever written has been released under the GPL.