• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Linux?

Do you have linux?

• NT - Yes

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • NT - No, but I have considered

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • NT - No

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • NF - Yes

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • NF - No, but I have considered

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • NF - No

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • SP - Yes

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • SP - No, but I have considered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SP - No

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • SJ - Yes

• SJ - No, but I have considered

• SJ - No

• Total voters

Lozzy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I use Ubuntu and Debian mainly, but I've been using a lot of OSX recently. I keep a copy of DSL on a pen drive on my person for those emergency geek situations.

Glad to see NFs flying the Linux banner! :D

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
linux on the other hand is free from the chains of capitalism. it is open source and it's free. software will become bigger than businesses trying to make a quick buck, it should be a sharing, mutual gain concept. go e-marxism! :D
Not really. Open source is voluntary, not done by force. It's really annoying how many people fail to acknowledge this difference.

I use Windows because it's easier. I'd love to switch, but no other operating systems can compete.

fleurdujour

MBTI Type
INFJ
Mac OSX 10.5.6. I :heart: my Mac with a passion and would never consider anything but Mac :) Though my ISTP brother has Linux and loves it, I don't see enough benefit of Linux over OSX :)

hommefatal

Dude, you have a legal copy too ? Wow, we are probably single handedly keeping microsoft afloat, because I don't know anyone else with a legal copy of windows.
lolwut? I use a legal copy and I don't know anyone who doesn't.
"NF - Yes"

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
I fiddled with it for a few years. Although I prefer a command line, this kind of extremity is too much of a bother. Path of least resistance. Win2K/XP.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Am kinda a computer noob of sorts (mostly use computer to access internet). Considering installing Linux XP 2010 on a backup laptop. What issues/hassles/benefits will I likely notice at first? How long would it take me to get up to speed. Any suggested resources?

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
Ran Fedora for several years, then switched to Mandriva which is on my desk box. My laptop is a Mac only because I didn't have the mental energy into doing the research on compatible hardware when I needed one - and getting one pre-loaded was twice the cost of a MacBook, so ended up with the Mac.

I have messed around with about a dozen distros - both full installs and live CD. Fun.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hmm a lot of this lingo is new for me. Any suggested links to help a noob get up to speed?

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm a lot of this lingo is new for me. Any suggested links to help a noob get up to speed?

Well, haven't used looked at it thoroughly, but: The Ultimate Linux Newbie Guide | The best site to learn about choosing, using and installing Linux for beginners

It has sections for what linux is, how to choose a distribution, etc.

I've used a number of distributions over the years. My current favorite is Ubuntu.

Linux has made big strides over the last decade in becoming more accepting of different hardware and becoming more user-friendly. It still lacks the polish of some other OSes, and individual programs can be pretty idiosyncratic (especially older ones). It's not ideal for gaming, since most games are written to run on PCs using Direct X, and many video cards lack optimized drivers that work under Linux. Keep in mind you can install Linux to dual boot with another OS, which will allow you to boot back into Windows (or whatever), for gaming or other specialized purposes.

On the other hand, it is generally stable, efficient, and it's hard to beat the price. It's also nice for software development, and programming tools or either included or easy to install. It's also good for people who like to have many options and don't mind spending time and energy tweaking things to be just so.

With WINE, you can run some Windows Applications (check for support) plus there are free emulators (like BusyBox) available if you want to run Windows in a virtual machine. (Note these solutions generally aren't great for games, which a couple of specific exceptions.)

As far as Free Software... there are people in several philosophical/political camps. Keep in mind "free" here means "free as in free speech" not necessarily "free as in beer."

Almost all "free software" is free to use, but some of it does put an obligation on the user. For example, some licenses allow you to make changes to the software, to sell the resulting software, or to link a free library with your commercial software.

Other licenses are more restrictive, and require that the software always remain free (with source code available), and are "viral" in the sense that linking with those libraries means your program/application falls under the same license (making them unsuitable for use in most commercial products).

There are people in various camps who feel that only they are absolutely correct, and everyone else is an idiot. It's colorful, but can be a little tedious at times.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

Well, when I switched the thing that helped me was to make it hard for me to "run back home to mommy". Make sure that you will have to use the linux machine. When there is some trouble you will most likely find the answers online. They will be something you need to copy/paste into the terminal, but don't worry, I don't understand anything about that code, but manage just fine. UbuntuForums is nice resource. And ubuntu would be good to start with. It has been getting so user friendly that if you had two complete newbies starting to use computer, one on windows, one on ubuntu, I bet the one using ubuntu would learn faster.

Oh, BTW, has anyone tried CrushBang linux? I've been running it for a while on my old laptop and it is sweet.