• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weird science/mad science

Lark

TRIGGER WARNING: Animal experimentation

So, I suppose the central question from this video I'd like to ask if you agree with the narrator, if there were frankenstein mad science experiments going on do you think that we'd even ever come to know about it?

I've seen some insane stories about the discovery of animals with human like features but then I'm not sure if its all internet bullshit (there is an awful lot of internet bullshit and that's for sure).

Personally, I dont know, I do think that medical tech is repressed though, I also think that there are probably regenerative medicines, nano tech, all sorts of things which are in existence already but which the majority of the population will never ever know about, its the preserve of the very few, but I'm not decided if its a matter of obscene expense or true elitism/privilege.

The stories that I've heard about rich guys going for regular infusions of blood from much younger people, stem cell technology, stuff like that is enough to convince me of the existence already of what I would call "medical privilege".

If you have other videos or articles about mad science share them here. :):):)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Personally, I dont know, I do think that medical tech is repressed though, I also think that there are probably regenerative medicines, nano tech, all sorts of things which are in existence already but which the majority of the population will never ever know about, its the preserve of the very few, but I'm not decided if its a matter of obscene expense or true elitism/privilege.

The stories that I've heard about rich guys going for regular infusions of blood from much younger people, stem cell technology, stuff like that is enough to convince me of the existence already of what I would call "medical privilege".

If you have other videos or articles about mad science share them here. :):):)
Given how bent out of shape people get about simply using stem cells to treat diseases like Parkinson's, I'm not surprised research even further off the beaten track is not made public. That would spell instant death for it.

Lark

Given how bent out of shape people get about simply using stem cells to treat diseases like Parkinson's, I'm not surprised research even further off the beaten track is not made public. That would spell instant death for it.

Yeah, I think that's right, I was thinking about that late last night/early this morning, after posting this, although do you not think that a lot of the sensation about that sort of mainstream research is stoked by suspicions the public have that there's always some sort of frankenstein just out of view? :shock:

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I think that's right, I was thinking about that late last night/early this morning, after posting this, although do you not think that a lot of the sensation about that sort of mainstream research is stoked by suspicions the public have that there's always some sort of frankenstein just out of view? :shock:
No. I think sensationalism about mainstream research is fueled by ignorance of what research involves, such that people think the mainstream research IS some sort of frankenstein affair. Having skewed values helps, too (prioritizing ideology over concrete results that can help lots of people.)

Lark

No. I think sensationalism about mainstream research is fueled by ignorance of what research involves, such that people think the mainstream research IS some sort of frankenstein affair. Having skewed values helps, too (prioritizing ideology over concrete results that can help lots of people.)

I appreciate the religious right in the US is such a thing that you need to keep referencing it and their role in these things, I'm thinking beyond that context though, I think its less likely that that sort of thinking is what's holding things up but marketisation and market values.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I appreciate the religious right in the US is such a thing that you need to keep referencing it and their role in these things, I'm thinking beyond that context though, I think its less likely that that sort of thinking is what's holding things up but marketisation and market values.
In the US, marketing plays to those values. In other parts of the world, it likely plays to whatever the prevailing popular values are there.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yes, medical privilage is surely already the case all across this world. That is totally obvious.

Which is why I am skeptical about any social models which boost individuality over what I call "unhealthy line". Because both too much market and continuation of technologial development when combined will almost surely lead into creation of some kind of super class ... and that almost surely means a major mess at some point. Will the super class actually be made out of rich people or they will be overthrown by mad scientists is up for a debate. However the fact is that so far there was no mechanism that permanently managed to stop technological development and therefore privacy will have to be reduced in order to make sure that someone doesn't do secret dangerous experiments. However that is probably doomed initiative since not every country on this planet is democratic and that surely wouldn't change anytime soon.

This is possibly the greatest challange of 21th century. How to protect the people from all the profund changes that technological potential brings. Digitalization, GMO food, internet addictions, medical manipulations, climate change ... etc. The current economic models are unlikely to survive all of this and they are unlikely to be the part of the solution either ... but what will be the replacement is still very unclear.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This is possibly the greatest challange of 21th century. How to protect the people from all the profund changes that technological potential brings. Digitalization, GMO food, internet addictions, medical manipulations, climate change ... etc. The current economic models are unlikely to survive all of this and they are unlikely to be the part of the solution either ... but what will be the replacement is still very unclear.

And the worst part is that most of the people doesn't get the fact that we have profound problem with how everything works at the moment and that trends are on collision course that wouldn't be pretty after a certain point.
Today people are dependant on technology for a living but the most of them know no more than the most basic stuff about it, what results with the outcome that peope profoundly don't understand their environment or the existing trends ... what inevitably leads into problems as well as conspiracy theories.

Lark

Yes, medical privilage is surely already the case all across this world. That is totally obvious.

Which is why I am skeptical about any social models which boost individuality over what I call "unhealthy line". Because both too much market and continuation of technologial development when combined will almost surely lead into creation of some kind of super class ... and that almost surely means a major mess at some point. Will the super class actually be made out of rich people or they will be overthrown by mad scientists is up for a debate. However the fact is that so far there was no mechanism that permanently managed to stop technological development and therefore privacy will have to be reduced in order to make sure that someone doesn't do secret dangerous experiments. However that is probably doomed initiative since not every country on this planet is democratic and that surely wouldn't change anytime soon.

I read and reviewed a book for Amazon lately on this, the bioinformation side of it anyway, which had lots of things to say about the creation of a digital "commons" which may prevent, I would say only temporarily hinder to be honest, the possible monopolisation and repression of date collected on bioinformation, although even that does not necessarily prevent the products of that information, pharma, technologies, therapies, being monopolised but if the information, the starting point, is held in common theoretically there is a chance of competition between R&D firms or enterprise, even considering things like barriers to entry in the marketplace, economies of scale etc.

The importance of stratification and status is never going away, I have gotten to the point were I think its something to be conscious of and attempt to manage within a permissible limit rather than believe its possible to outright abolish altogether.

Rawls version of it, that the society is better that has inequality but the least well off it happier and more prosperous than the least well off in an egalitarian equivalent or alternative is a good one, though I do think in some ways it is a "cold war" ideology, when the USA had Russia around as a good example of an impoverished egalitarian society which had "equal shares of misery", sort of, I think there were always "developmental" issues with Russia, materially, culturally etc.

The emergence of a sort of "uber mensch" is not going to be good for humanity, I think already the sorts of toxicity are clear, like the innovations in automation and robots is not leading to a chorus of "yay, we'll all be free to do stuff" but more of a "what are we going to do with all these people?", as though that's the sort of thinking anyone should engage in and it contains all sorts of blind spots, exceptionalism, othering etc. Like no one thinks of themselves as the "surplus" or "problem" when they think that way.

However, if that's the average fool's response to technological displacement, what's the view of some sort of genetically advanced or engineered superman going to be?

There was a plot line in the classic star trek about this, it was what introduced the character of Khan, which was later in the movie, I think there was a book too about the creation of "immortals" by uber rich special interests, it could have been Wes Craven was associated with it or meant to adapt it or something, once upon a time.

Lark

And the worst part is that most of the people doesn't get the fact that we have profound problem with how everything works at the moment and that trends are on collision course that wouldn't be pretty after a certain point.
Today people are dependant on technology for a living but the most of them know no more than the most basic stuff about it, what results with the outcome that peope profoundly don't understand their environment or the existing trends ... what inevitably leads into problems as well as conspiracy theories.

Now what you're saying there is a HUGE deal for me, I am always annoyed by the fact that I use a mobile phone and laptop but know precious little about the hardware or software.

I remember knowing someone who could "hack" wifi networks to always have a connection from their phone or tablet but they themselves never knew "how they did it", that makes sense, they had just been shown by someone else "this works, for that". Which is a big deal too.

I was always shocked by the cyberpunk science fiction that its always a given that everyone, absolutely everyone is like a PhD level computer science wiz.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Now what you're saying there is a HUGE deal for me, I am always annoyed by the fact that I use a mobile phone and laptop but know precious little about the hardware or software.

I remember knowing someone who could "hack" wifi networks to always have a connection from their phone or tablet but they themselves never knew "how they did it", that makes sense, they had just been shown by someone else "this works, for that". Which is a big deal too.

I was always shocked by the cyberpunk science fiction that its always a given that everyone, absolutely everyone is like a PhD level computer science wiz.

Yes, it is a HUGE deal.
Since mastery is no longer possible outside of very narrow fields. Today it is normal that people who live in the same country and in the same sub-field of some part of science don't really understand each other. Since each of them is studing the different set of details and problems and with the exception of basics of their field they have trouble communiacting. While public struggles even with the very concept of science. My life experiances have though me that I am basically always one of the most knowledgeable people around but all I see is that I know very little of what there is to know from all the discovered knowledge. Not to mention stuff that will emerge in the future.

On the other hand you have general public that doesn't really care or understand for the most part. Just take a look at this sub forum or even average science show, almost no one is talking about numbers, equations and their importance, there is a very clear deficit of technical details all over the place, everyone is presenting only the surface of what is generally known, talks about implementation and social consequence are generally simplistic or none existant, ... etc. Therefore most people don't even seem to get what science really is, since all that is presented to them is "image of science". While there basically is no science in general social debates ... and in my opinion that shoud be the case. Since technology defines both economy and eventually politics. Therefore if people don't at least understand the basics with absolute clarity it is basically inevitable that you will end in some kind of statism made by the people on the top.

To be honest I don't find "the war on public education" to be a coincidance.

I don’t even want to know some of the fucked up experimentation going on in some labs dealing with cloning and gene splicing. Remember that scene from Alien Resurrection when Ripley finds the failed versions of herself? Yeah that kind of shit.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Carl Sagan had a word for this: suicidal.

Mole

Permabanned
We know that the very small in quantum mechanics, and the very large in general relativity, are completely foreign to the medium sized world we live in. Yet we insist on seeing the world through our own parochial eyes.

Just recently we discovered in 1998 that the universe of time and space are accelerating away from every point in every direction without the speed limit of light. These discoveries challenge everything we believe, yet we prefer the comfort and consolation of our traditional beliefs.

It is as though the universe is so strange we can't believe it, or even imagine it.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Well, I AM a mad scientist :devil:.

Seriously. Some of the stuff I have done in lab... ha!

Well I am a mad science- EXPERIMENT that things I've HAD done in a lab...eh. I'm an adult and so over it.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Yes, it is a HUGE deal.
Since mastery is no longer possible outside of very narrow fields. Today it is normal that people who live in the same country and in the same sub-field of some part of science don't really understand each other. Since each of them is studing the different set of details and problems and with the exception of basics of their field they have trouble communiacting. While public struggles even with the very concept of science. My life experiances have though me that I am basically always one of the most knowledgeable people around but all I see is that I know very little of what there is to know from all the discovered knowledge. Not to mention stuff that will emerge in the future.

On the other hand you have general public that doesn't really care or understand for the most part. Just take a look at this sub forum or even average science show, almost no one is talking about numbers, equations and their importance, there is a very clear deficit of technical details all over the place, everyone is presenting only the surface of what is generally known, talks about implementation and social consequence are generally simplistic or none existant, ... etc. Therefore most people don't even seem to get what science really is, since all that is presented to them is "image of science". While there basically is no science in general social debates ... and in my opinion that shoud be the case. Since technology defines both economy and eventually politics. Therefore if people don't at least understand the basics with absolute clarity it is basically inevitable that you will end in some kind of statism made by the people on the top.

To be honest I don't find "the war on public education" to be a coincidance.

I tried to keep up by taking a few computer programming classes. Not only do i know less than when I started but I have been turned off from the subject.
We were never taught the language just told to " copy these lines" with no explanation. A lot of kids did just fine but I failed because I need to understand what I am doing and why.

My husband got me a cook book on ratios.

I was SO fucking happy to receive it. I have been cooking since I was a toddler-my parents were more happy to not have to cook than they were concerned about me using a stove- but I have never been good at baking.
I've read hundreds of cook books. I know the difference between braising/boiling, frying/sauteing baking/roasting. I know most of the tricks ( shocking, blanching, what vegetables should be stored where, what starches work better in particular recipes; I could go on.
But I learned SO much more from the first paragraph explaining the ratio of fat/liquid than anything I've ever read. I no longer have to following a recipe-without understanding-why. I can now use my intuitive ways to bake whatever doughs, breads and desserts I can imagine!

...it seemed like a relevant tangent to me...:unsure:

á´…eparted

passages
Well I am a mad science- EXPERIMENT that things I've HAD done in a lab...eh. I'm an adult and so over it.

Incomplete list of toxic deadly thing I have (arguably improperly) handled over the years :devil:.

DMAP - causes seizures similar to this.
Lead Tetraacetate - Extremely toxic soluble form of lead, much more harmful than lead itself.
tert-Butyl Lithium - Comically extremely flamable that combusts aggressively upon millisecond exposure to air.
Osmium Tetraoxide - Exhuberently toxic vapors at low ppm exposure.
Potassium Cyanide - Deadly, obviously.
Sodium Azide - Similar to, and interestingly, far more deadly/dangerous than cyanide.
Hydrogen Cyanide (generated) - Also deadly.
Ozone - More dangerous than you think.
Dioxin - Much less toxic than the notorious ones, but still bad.
Dicobalt Octacarbonyl - Extremely toxic form of cobalt. Released vapors.
Thionyl Chloride - Corrosive, toxic, decomposes to toxic vapors, explodes if handled improperly.
Carbon Monoxide - Deadly, obviously.
Hydrazine - Extremely toxic, explosive. Also Rocket fuel.
Coronene - Highly carcinogenic.
Benzene - Notorious carcinogen.
Perchloric Acid - Acid with explosion hazards.
Chlorosulfonic Acid - Think sulfuric acid times 1000 + plus explosion hazard.
Manganese Heptoxide - Comically explosive.
Phenol - Shockingly toxic, also old school hospital disinfectent.

Ok brain is short circiting, I am sure I there are a few more I am not thinking of.

cc [MENTION=17945]Video[/MENTION]