User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    And the worst part is that most of the people doesn't get the fact that we have profound problem with how everything works at the moment and that trends are on collision course that wouldn't be pretty after a certain point.
    Today people are dependant on technology for a living but the most of them know no more than the most basic stuff about it, what results with the outcome that peope profoundly don't understand their environment or the existing trends ... what inevitably leads into problems as well as conspiracy theories.
    Now what you're saying there is a HUGE deal for me, I am always annoyed by the fact that I use a mobile phone and laptop but know precious little about the hardware or software.

I remember knowing someone who could "hack" wifi networks to always have a connection from their phone or tablet but they themselves never knew "how they did it", that makes sense, they had just been shown by someone else "this works, for that". Which is a big deal too.

I was always shocked by the cyberpunk science fiction that its always a given that everyone, absolutely everyone is like a PhD level computer science wiz.

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    Now what you're saying there is a HUGE deal for me, I am always annoyed by the fact that I use a mobile phone and laptop but know precious little about the hardware or software.

I remember knowing someone who could "hack" wifi networks to always have a connection from their phone or tablet but they themselves never knew "how they did it", that makes sense, they had just been shown by someone else "this works, for that". Which is a big deal too.

I was always shocked by the cyberpunk science fiction that its always a given that everyone, absolutely everyone is like a PhD level computer science wiz.

Yes, it is a HUGE deal.
    Since mastery is no longer possible outside of very narrow fields. Today it is normal that people who live in the same country and in the same sub-field of some part of science don't really understand each other. Since each of them is studing the different set of details and problems and with the exception of basics of their field they have trouble communiacting. While public struggles even with the very concept of science. My life experiances have though me that I am basically always one of the most knowledgeable people around but all I see is that I know very little of what there is to know from all the discovered knowledge. Not to mention stuff that will emerge in the future.

On the other hand you have general public that doesn't really care or understand for the most part. Just take a look at this sub forum or even average science show, almost no one is talking about numbers, equations and their importance, there is a very clear deficit of technical details all over the place, everyone is presenting only the surface of what is generally known, talks about implementation and social consequence are generally simplistic or none existant, ... etc. Therefore most people don't even seem to get what science really is, since all that is presented to them is "image of science". While there basically is no science in general social debates ... and in my opinion that shoud be the case. Since technology defines both economy and eventually politics. Therefore if people don't at least understand the basics with absolute clarity it is basically inevitable that you will end in some kind of statism made by the people on the top.

To be honest I don't find "the war on public education" to be a coincidance.
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

You knew this was coming with that thread title.

”The Future’s So Bright, I Gotta Wear Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses.”
    Likes Peter Deadpan, Galena liked this post

This is everything I hate about science and man. Barbaric.
    Likes Population: 1 liked this post

I don’t even want to know some of the fucked up experimentation going on in some labs dealing with cloning and gene splicing. Remember that scene from Alien Resurrection when Ripley finds the failed versions of herself? Yeah that kind of shit.
    ”The Future’s So Bright, I Gotta Wear Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses.”

Straighten up, Fly right Coriolis's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Today people are dependant on technology for a living but the most of them know no more than the most basic stuff about it, what results with the outcome that peope profoundly don't understand their environment or the existing trends ... what inevitably leads into problems as well as conspiracy theories.
    Carl Sagan had a word for this: suicidal.
    Though the ground was burnt and everything turned into ashes, we will revive again. The sky is still blue, the crashing waves from long ago are unchanged. This is Earth, our planet. This dream is in the hearts of people; so long as they do not abandon it, it will not fade away. For the sake of tomorrow, keep a song in your heart. For the sake of our future, let us stop our crying and stand on our ground firmly. ~Maya

We know that the very small in quantum mechanics, and the very large in general relativity, are completely foreign to the medium sized world we live in. Yet we insist on seeing the world through our own parochial eyes.

Just recently we discovered in 1998 that the universe of time and space are accelerating away from every point in every direction without the speed limit of light. These discoveries challenge everything we believe, yet we prefer the comfort and consolation of our traditional beliefs.

It is as though the universe is so strange we can't believe it, or even imagine it.
    Likes meowington, Cellmold liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Well, I AM a mad scientist .

Seriously. Some of the stuff I have done in lab... ha!
    Well I am a mad science- EXPERIMENT that things I've HAD done in a lab...eh. I'm an adult and so over it.
    Likes N/A liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Yes, it is a HUGE deal.
    Since mastery is no longer possible outside of very narrow fields. Today it is normal that people who live in the same country and in the same sub-field of some part of science don't really understand each other. Since each of them is studing the different set of details and problems and with the exception of basics of their field they have trouble communiacting. While public struggles even with the very concept of science. My life experiances have though me that I am basically always one of the most knowledgeable people around but all I see is that I know very little of what there is to know from all the discovered knowledge. Not to mention stuff that will emerge in the future.

On the other hand you have general public that doesn't really care or understand for the most part. Just take a look at this sub forum or even average science show, almost no one is talking about numbers, equations and their importance, there is a very clear deficit of technical details all over the place, everyone is presenting only the surface of what is generally known, talks about implementation and social consequence are generally simplistic or none existant, ... etc. Therefore most people don't even seem to get what science really is, since all that is presented to them is "image of science". While there basically is no science in general social debates ... and in my opinion that shoud be the case. Since technology defines both economy and eventually politics. Therefore if people don't at least understand the basics with absolute clarity it is basically inevitable that you will end in some kind of statism made by the people on the top.

To be honest I don't find "the war on public education" to be a coincidance.
    I tried to keep up by taking a few computer programming classes. Not only do i know less than when I started but I have been turned off from the subject.
    We were never taught the language just told to " copy these lines" with no explanation. A lot of kids did just fine but I failed because I need to understand what I am doing and why.

My husband got me a cook book on ratios.

I was SO fucking happy to receive it. I have been cooking since I was a toddler-my parents were more happy to not have to cook than they were concerned about me using a stove- but I have never been good at baking.
    I've read hundreds of cook books. I know the difference between braising/boiling, frying/sauteing baking/roasting. I know most of the tricks ( shocking, blanching, what vegetables should be stored where, what starches work better in particular recipes; I could go on.
    But I learned SO much more from the first paragraph explaining the ratio of fat/liquid than anything I've ever read. I no longer have to following a recipe-without understanding-why. I can now use my intuitive ways to bake whatever doughs, breads and desserts I can imagine!

...it seemed like a relevant tangent to me...
    Likes Xann liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    Well I am a mad science- EXPERIMENT that things I've HAD done in a lab...eh. I'm an adult and so over it.
    Incomplete list of toxic deadly thing I have (arguably improperly) handled over the years .

DMAP - causes seizures similar to this.
    Lead Tetraacetate - Extremely toxic soluble form of lead, much more harmful than lead itself.
    tert-Butyl Lithium - Comically extremely flamable that combusts aggressively upon millisecond exposure to air.
    Osmium Tetraoxide - Exhuberently toxic vapors at low ppm exposure.
    Potassium Cyanide - Deadly, obviously.
    Sodium Azide - Similar to, and interestingly, far more deadly/dangerous than cyanide.
    Hydrogen Cyanide (generated) - Also deadly.
    Ozone - More dangerous than you think.
    Dioxin - Much less toxic than the notorious ones, but still bad.
    Dicobalt Octacarbonyl - Extremely toxic form of cobalt. Released vapors.
    Thionyl Chloride - Corrosive, toxic, decomposes to toxic vapors, explodes if handled improperly.
    Carbon Monoxide - Deadly, obviously.
    Hydrazine - Extremely toxic, explosive. Also Rocket fuel.
    Coronene - Highly carcinogenic.
    Benzene - Notorious carcinogen.
    Perchloric Acid - Acid with explosion hazards.
    Chlorosulfonic Acid - Think sulfuric acid times 1000 + plus explosion hazard.
    Manganese Heptoxide - Comically explosive.
    Phenol - Shockingly toxic, also old school hospital disinfectent.

Ok brain is short circiting, I am sure I there are a few more I am not thinking of.

cc @Video
    It is our duty to create meaning.

If only it were that simple.
    Likes /DG/, Cellmold liked this post