User Tag List

123 Last

I must confess that I am skeptical as to whether or not this is a good or efficient use of scarce resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    I must confess that I am skeptical as to whether or not this is a good or efficient use of scarce resources.
    It's probably just a lifeless rock. But that doesn't mean there isn't something to be learned or discovered in studying it.

Oumuamua=Tin Man (Gomtuu)
    ”The Future’s So Bright, I Gotta Wear Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses.”
    Likes Tactical Turtleneck liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    It's probably just a lifeless rock. But that doesn't mean there isn't something to be learned or discovered in studying it.
    If this lifeless rock could be mined for some sort of minerals or resources, sure, if it would be possible to discover something about the rock's composition so it could be easily targetted and destroyed if anything like this came into the solar system on a collision course with earth, sure, otherwise its a torching of a huge amount of money.

If this lifeless rock could be mined for some sort of minerals or resources, sure, if it would be possible to discover something about the rock's composition so it could be easily targetted and destroyed if anything like this came into the solar system on a collision course with earth, sure, otherwise its a torching of a huge amount of money.
    Like humans don’t torch huge amounts of money everyday on frivolous government spending or worse, it vanishes into thin air. At least you know where the cash is going and for what.
    ”The Future’s So Bright, I Gotta Wear Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses.”

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    Like humans don’t torch huge amounts of money everyday on frivolous government spending or worse, it vanishes into thin air. At least you know where the cash is going and for what.
    I'm interested to know what "frivolous government spending or worse" means, I think we can agree it is not a good thing if money and resources "vanishes into thin air" but I'm not sure if we would be on the same page as to what that means.

I'm interested to know what "frivolous government spending or worse" means, I think we can agree it is not a good thing if money and resources "vanishes into thin air" but I'm not sure if we would be on the same page as to what that means.
    Bridges to nowhere, countless programs to research absurd questions no one gives two shits about. $500 hammers and toilet seats. I’ve been alive long enough to see decades of U.S. government spending on ridiculous shit. Look it up, there’s no shortage of things to laugh at or shake a fist at.

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    Bridges to nowhere, countless programs to research absurd questions no one gives two shits about. $500 hammers and toilet seats. I’ve been alive long enough to see decades of U.S. government spending on ridiculous shit. Look it up, there’s no shortage of things to laugh at or shake a fist at.
    I think I've heard the one about hammers and toilet seats before, sometimes I think that the invoices with exaggerated costs are actually for other things which can not be properly declared, by that I do not mean there is corruption per se but simply creative accounting, which sometimes has to be utilised when some sort of standardised response to another, different, problem has been introduced.

I'll give you an example.

If there has been a reliance upon petty cash in a firm or office as a quick fix for funding, circumventing some more complex, less immediate invoicing system, a move is made to reduce the use of petty cash by introducing caps on individual spends, that does not actually correct the original problem but it is a response, so the next time a large petty cash spend is necessary it is made and instead of declaring the expense as a single figure it is divided into three or four seperate spends.

That's just one example, I am not making excuses, also, do you not think that the same examples are circulated quite a bit? What do you think that says? Also do you think that those are large figures relative to the plans of the agency?

This is something which I think happens in the private sector just as much, I would say that it is perhaps typical in firms or agencies above a certain size, experiencing a certain organisational culture and managerialism plays its part too. The attention to its occurence in the public/state sphere is exaggerated in my opinion, there's a lot of cultural aspects to it and urban myths. Its also important to popular and populist ideologies that there's examples "kept in circulation without explanation", dont you think?

I think I've heard the one about hammers and toilet seats before, sometimes I think that the invoices with exaggerated costs are actually for other things which can not be properly declared, by that I do not mean there is corruption per se but simply creative accounting, which sometimes has to be utilised when some sort of standardised response to another, different, problem has been introduced.

I'll give you an example.

If there has been a reliance upon petty cash in a firm or office as a quick fix for funding, circumventing some more complex, less immediate invoicing system, a move is made to reduce the use of petty cash by introducing caps on individual spends, that does not actually correct the original problem but it is a response, so the next time a large petty cash spend is necessary it is made and instead of declaring the expense as a single figure it is divided into three or four seperate spends.

That's just one example, I am not making excuses, also, do you not think that the same examples are circulated quite a bit? What do you think that says? Also do you think that those are large figures relative to the plans of the agency?

This is something which I think happens in the private sector just as much, I would say that it is perhaps typical in firms or agencies above a certain size, experiencing a certain organisational culture and managerialism plays its part too. The attention to its occurence in the public/state sphere is exaggerated in my opinion, there's a lot of cultural aspects to it and urban myths. Its also important to popular and populist ideologies that there's examples "kept in circulation without explanation", dont you think?
    Some humans are wasteful, dishonest and manipulative and politics and business just calls to them like sirens. The records are there to be read. I used an example that’s famous because I know you’re not from the US but it’s a legendary example nonetheless. And when a government can drop a pallet with ten million dollars on it into the Iraqi desert and ‘lose track of it’ yeah I’m suspicious of that entity. It happened during the senseless invasion of Iraq. Ten fucking million! And a billionaire politician had the nerve to say I know ten mil may seem like a lot of money! Fucking asshole. People wonder why I keep out of politics. It disgusts me.