• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Google deepmind is teaching artificial intelligence to play StarCraft 1 & 2

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't know what starcraft is but AI learning to play video games sounds cute as fuck.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Cool stuff.

I had a bizarre dream recently about this very subject, but in the dream the AI far exceeded what people predicted and went on to dominate and spread to all known online games.
Eventually it found a way to download itself into the code of offline games as well as via connections that are always on even if no browser or online system was engaged. Leaving the realm of video games a purely machine ruled world. But I woke up at the apex.

Still, very interesting stuff.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not impressed until I play a single player game and can have RP conversations with NPC's, while they are moving about living their virtual lives.

The one interesting thing about this is that instead of entirely prescripting and inputting game AI's like done in the past, this (if it becomes good enough) will allow for a relatively easy way to have the game script an infinite variety of fluid AI's for any single game. Instead of having to script every NPC independently. Making the whole gaming experience vs NPC's more interesting from an immersion point of view.

Lark

Doesnt surprise me, I'd say a point will be reached eventually when AIs could be the majority of players online in games and online discussions.

Lark

I think this is interesting too because I've read about some pretty complex and costly to develop game platforms which have been online team or multiplayer games in the final instance, whatever story mode can be played at a local level, and those same games tanked as consumer interest evaporated over a very short term, it would be great if the same platforms could be populated with advanced AI NPCs and therefore survive for the few subscribers who were early uptake buyers.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, but if it actually gets good, we are fucked militantly.

Elegiac

Wandering & Wondering
MBTI Type
INFP
Well I think Google's intentions with Artificial Intelligence was never anything virtuous.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Reminds me of how I read that the S.T.A.L.K.E.R game AI was supposedly had to have been made purposely stupid as the developers claimed that during testing they discovered that the AI could beat the game on its own. STALKER is an older horror/post apocalypse FPS.