• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How exactly does mind swap work?

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I am interested in the topic of switching bodies. I used to think somewhere in the brain exist a place that contains a person's awareness. However, there are cases whereas half of a person's brain is removed and the person was able to live.

I was perplexed by how somebody could live with only half a brain. The story made me think that whether somebody's awareness might not exist in a human brain. If someone's awareness doesn't exist in the brain, how does mind swapping? What exactly needs to be swapped in order for somebody to switch bodies?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am interested in the topic of switching bodies. I used to think somewhere in the brain exist a place that contains a person's awareness. However, there are cases whereas half of a person's brain is removed and the person was able to live.

I was perplexed by how somebody could live with only half a brain. The story made me think that whether somebody's awareness might not exist in a human brain. If someone's awareness doesn't exist in the brain, how does mind swapping? What exactly needs to be swapped in order for somebody to switch bodies?

Memory card swap, brain is just the processor

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So are memories suppose to be what gives me awareness?

Yes, its what stores who we are. While I may run into an ISTP, and while we may use the same functions. Our past, our memories, are what differentiate us. Its why the same person fed with negativity will struggle, but fed with positivity will succeed. Same brain.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Yes, its what stores who we are. While I may run into an ISTP, and while we may use the same functions. Our past, our memories, are what differentiate us. Its why the same person fed with negativity will struggle, but fed with positivity will succeed. Same brain.

If I swapped half of my memory with another person, would I have two point of views? One being in my original body and the other being with the second person?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I swapped half of my memory with another person, would I have two point of views? One being in my original body and the other being with the second person?

Use another function for different point of view. They all respond differently. No different actually. Imagine half your life one way and another half other way. Worst case is cognitive dissonance. People have that witout swaps

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The problem I see is that the brain is all in one and based on the inputs. So it will be painful to finnd yourself in another body since everything about the brain is already adapted to other one. I guess you will have to feed the core, but if you do that then you lose your memories which, if I understand correctly you will lose everything and... Based on the input what hormones will be produced and activate parts of your brain. I know so little, that is my little understanding f the brain. I kbow there is a head transplant planned. Maybe they will succeed in something.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There's been sooo many anime/games about uploading your consciousness onto a computer for immortality.

Honestly I don't believe our whole past = us. Sounds like too far empiricist tabula rasa bullshit to me.

I'm very much a proponent of a nice blend of nature and nurture.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Imo, souls would have to exist for a true body swap sine the brain is part of the body.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mind Swap is a reality show that's like Wife Swap but minds. Two contestants from vastly different lifestyles and/or regions of the US get a free Burr port installed where they can load their autopattern into a chip. Then they meet in the LA studio where the host, UCLA surgery director and media personality Jack Northrup, swaps their chips and sends them home for three weeks with the film crews to experience life in each other's bodies and households, to comic effect. Like it might be a man and a woman contestant, or one who is a parent and one single, or where their ages are really far apart.

There's been a rumor or two about cancellation after what happened in season 2, but those are based on the fringe theory that Stacey got hacked on set, which has been denied by the show's medical tech crew. The theory proposed an exploit that the Esper XI chip was upgraded to block, and the XI explicitly was the version in use this season, with that one synth-soaked "Eleven" ad bookending the episodes and everything. The crew officially chalks Stacey's symptoms up to her swap partner Mike's anxiety disorder - how that kind of thing isn't just all in one's pattern.

This show is made in the future, so you can't find it right now, but if we ever can make it, guaranteed we will. Also just the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the thread title.