User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned

Default Blockchain and Bitcoin

Anyone into this? I'm surprised we don't have a thread yet unless I missed it.

Like Andreas Antonopoulos I had the same experience as many people when exposed to this technology: "Pffffft nerd money" but then I learned about the underlying technology and realized how important it was. Unfortunately for me that first experience happened 6 years ago as I hung around lots of libertarians on the nets, but the second experience only happened 2 months ago.

I missed a lot of growth in Bitcoin and Etherium (the main cryptocurrencies).

Fortunately, right now I'm more interested in getting in on software development which is still in the very early stages so I feel less bad about all the fun and money I missed out on.

What's your interest in this technology?

Permabanned

Some beginner resources:

Andreas, mentioned above, is the best bitcoin advocate:

Unfortunately, Andreas under-appreciates enterprise blockchain technology.
    Here's a good use-case for enterprise blockchain that's not necessarily connected to a cryptocurrency:

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

Definitely consider trying out.

Unfortunately, it takes A LOT of memory. So I'll have to buy an external hard drive for sure or a computer with a lot of internal storage memory in the future when I upgrade.

It's the future. I hope it is. Also with this blockchain technology, even working at retail, it worries me that if everything is "safe" is what I serve. (If anyone actually pays attention to food training video lmao)

Although self-driving cars would probably mean that we'd have to re-do highways for sure.

I have read Bitcoin: the Future of Money? by Dominic Frisby about six months ago. I had heard about it before but it seemed to me like some unstable object of speculation and nothing more.

I know Antonopoulos also has a book on Bitcoin but I haven't got around to reading that one yet.

I don't feel ready to open a Bitcoin wallet, feel like I need more info. While this is all very interesting, cryptocurrencies are still in their infancy, and aren't being used for much except illicit activities at this point. Still, the price seems only to be going up in the long-term so it's worth looking into.
    Likes biohazard liked this post

I'd thought about posting a thread about it, I did post another thread about investments which kind of took a derail into some guy ramping gold over and over.

The straight thing about bitcoin and blockchain is that if ask the crazies who attack so called fiat currency as a lie, they are able to accept bitcoin and blockchain alright, surprising, considering that the reasons they attack fiat currencies is largely the same issues with blockchain and bitcoin.

That's not my opinion though, I've not invested in either bitcoin or blockchain, dont know enough about them.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I think bitcoin was created with good intentions but it has turned into some kind of pyramid scheme. Blockchain I just don't care for the idea of it that much but it does seem possible it will be a big deal with so much hype around it.
    Likes Lark, Falcarius liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I think bitcoin was created with good intentions but it has turned into some kind of pyramid scheme. Blockchain I just don't care for the idea of it that much but it does seem possible it will be a big deal with so much hype around it.
    I thought that too about bitcoin, plus there's the terrible experience of the gamers who had a virtual currency, was it called parasite eve or am I wrong, I cant recall, anyway, there was serious time and money investment in this currency, talk that people had used it as a defacto means of payment in the black market economy (this still happens, bitcoin and block chain both got tarred with that brush but to be honest I've heard about amazon wishlists and other means being used in that manner too). Anyway, one day the designers just wrapped things up, took everyones accumulated funds and that was that.

I'm probably not even telling the story right but it was a big story on Cracked a while back, it was already a story before that but you know.
    Likes highlander liked this post

I think bitcoin was created with good intentions but it has turned into some kind of pyramid scheme.
    Why do you say that?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Why do you say that?
    Because normal currencies don't do this. It's indicative of speculation.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes biohazard, Lillita liked this post

Because normal currencies don't do this

I still don't see how the term pyramid scheme applies.

A pyramid scheme (commonly known as pyramid scams) is a business model that recruits members via a promise of payments or services for enrolling others into the scheme, rather than supplying investments or sale of products or services.
    Pyramid scheme - Wikipedia

It is an unstable currency, sure, I don't think it's a scam for as much. Indeed to conceive of Bitcoin as a scam seems odd: it's completely decrentralized, so noone single person is doing the profiting, it cannot be traced back to one person (or group of persons). Bitcoin isn't a service, or a supposed service, so it's difficult to conceive of it as a scam.
    Likes biohazard liked this post