• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Blockchain and Bitcoin

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I largely ignored it until I had to get up to speed for work. It is extremely energy dependent and I read recently that more energy is used worldwide for cryptomining than real mining.

The process is simple. To be a cryptominer, one must first validate existing transactions ( the blockchains), then solving mathematical problems first. only the first to the answer gets the prize, so speed is key.

The technology has been evolving quickly. They soon realized graphic cards could solve things faster, and then specialized graphic cards developed.

Miner now down to a calculation. Top of the line tech from 6 months ago is barely profitable today.

Many people do crypto arbitrage. There are a number of exchanges around the world and prices vary between exchanges. So, they buy in one and sell in another.

But it is the laundering that is huge. Funds that banks can't take (from illegal sources or gray areas such as marihuana) are changed into crypto and then sent around the world.

Crypto is mostly being regulated as property not currency, but may change.

From those I know invested in crypto, they are often frightened or elated. It is a rollercoaster. I read somewhere that 90% of crypto trades are fake, with the buyer and seller the same and they are just trying to move the price.

Now a lot of currency exchanges are fake, anyway, as the traders manipulate the prices to get the price they want working together. As such, it isn't surprising that crypto exchanges are equally bad.

i take it you're in finance and not tech - it seems like all my tech friends just can't get over how revolutionary the blockchain is (no part of the stack involved in bitcoin or any of the other cryptos is actually that revolutionary or clever btw), and yet none of the finance people i know even want to talk about it as a serious concept.
i.e. the people who muse at the artistry of crypto are all over it, and the people who actually understand how value works say rather "ehhhhh maybe when it evens out."

my opinion is this: i won't own any crypto until i can use it to buy taquitos and a big gulp at 711.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i take it you're in finance and not tech - it seems like all my tech friends just can't get over how revolutionary the blockchain is (no part of the stack involved in bitcoin or any of the other cryptos is actually that revolutionary or clever btw), and yet none of the finance people i know even want to talk about it as a serious concept.
i.e. the people who muse at the artistry of crypto are all over it, and the people who actually understand how value works say rather "ehhhhh maybe when it evens out."

my opinion is this: i won't own any crypto until i can use it to buy taquitos and a big gulp at 711.

I am in neither finance nor tech, but have spent 25 hours this week related to crypto.

I do know someone with a crypto card, that draws on his crypto wallet. Not smart.

One of the problems is crypto is considered by the Feds as a commodity, not currency. In any event, there are 2k or so crypto currencies, each mined using a variety of algorithms (a single algo might be used to mine 3 to 20 coins). Each algo is being mined with a certain specialized mining machine. But not every coin is liquid, so while they might be easy to mine, they can't be traded.

Anyway, I own no crypto and don't plan to do so. From what I have seen, I can't recommend it.

Pioneer

I don't see how you can isolate blockchain from commodities and thus from the financial/economic aspect (crypto is a commodity).

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Didn't this bubble burst a long time ago?

Mole

Permabanned
I am about to leave typology central, and join the block chain of Instars.

Typology Central is an intermediary between me and you, while on blockchain Instars I will be speaking to you directly without an intermediary.

Catholicism, for instance, puts an intermediary between us and God in the priest, while protestantism gives us direct access to God. So we might say blockchain is the protestantism to the catholicism of typology central.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
sounds dumb but i don't really understand finance and money.
It's not dumb to not understand finance and money but crypto is just a ponzi scheme, what is happening is how they are designed to work - leave the last guy holding the bag. But it's genuinely impossible to feel sorry for crypto enthusiasts getting wiped out when they showed nothing but extreme ideological hostility for the idea of securities regulation that was designed to protect them from these outcomes.

yeghor

Vitalik Buterin, developer of Ethereum coin, is typed as INTP. He dropped out of university and developed Ethereum. He sounds like a non-assuming guy and he averts his gaze while talking. I am wondering if he could be a dominant intuitive type instead, he looks too far gone into the intuitive realm. I would type him as INTJ but he dresses very awkwardly sometimes.

Photos

Interview