User Tag List

123 Last

Bismuth's Pumpkin Pie 🥧 Amethyst Archon's Avatar
    Enneagram
    712 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Default What are the purpose of emotions?

Emotions are a universal thing across advanced animal life (At least in theory) and I was thinking on the possible reasons for emotions existing as I reasoned they must have some purpose for existing, I have many ideas but I shall hear from the rest of you and interject my theories as they go along to get any debate going.
    7w6 9w1 2w3 Pisces Sun-Libra Moon-Libra Rising

💎My Beautiful Bismuth💎
    You are my treasured sweet little daisy, my Queen and most importantly of all my best friend in the whole wide world. I love you so much!

Dr. Ernest Von Cat Brainz, Professor of Emotional Studies at TypeC University! My esteemed colleague.

Let me say I believe emotions are necessary for more complex life forms, particularly species with social interdependence, to function in a healthy manner. Ants work well together arguably far better than humans but they are relatively simple constructs with very limited needs. Humans are not driven to stay together by simple instructions in simple nerve centers. Without emotions say love for example, parents my provide offspring with food and shelter but little more. The child would seldom be held except for feeding and the changing of diapers but never simply because of the love of the parents for the child and the need to express it through physical connection and communication. The infant would not develop a sense of caring for it’s family and humans in general. A lack of empathy for the plight of others leads to a less effective society a less effective society dies.

This I believe held true in the past at least when humans lived in smaller less structured groups where maintaining a cohesive community wasn’t so much dependent upon infrastructure and rules and regulations so much as it was kept strong through emotional bonding.

Just a theory.
    There is no mysterious essence we can call a 'place'. Place is change. It is motion killed by the mind, and preserved in the amber of memory.
    J. A. Baker
    Likes lightsun liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Brainz View Post
    Emotions are a universal thing across advanced animal life (At least in theory) and I was thinking on the possible reasons for emotions existing as I reasoned they must have some purpose for existing, I have many ideas but I shall hear from the rest of you and interject my theories as they go along to get any debate going.
    Humans and animals are affect driven, affect is an idea attached to emotion or strong emotion, more rationalising than reasoning, that is deciding on the basis of these affects and "explaining" their thinking after the fact, there's a whole bunch of complex explanations of why this is so, its been the word of psychology to do so since the early days even pre-Freud.

For the time being some evolutionary psychologists have the best explanations I can think of, ie that our cognitive brain, is a recent innovation, for much longer, probably the greater part of human history, we've been reliant on the older "serpentine" brain, under stress, in crisis or under threat, it kicks in, some people are more reliant on that part of the brain more than the cognitive part, lesions, brain chemistry, it all matters, anyway, affects, particularly strong affects, can compel behaviour quicker than cool headed reasoning, for the greater part of human history I think that's been important to survival so its that which gets passed on the following generation, evolution has selected for it and maybe carries on selecting for it.
    Likes lightsun liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    Dr. Ernest Von Cat Brainz, Professor of Emotional Studies at TypeC University! My esteemed colleague.

Let me say I believe emotions are necessary for more complex life forms, particularly species with social interdependence, to function in a healthy manner. Ants work well together arguably far better than humans but they are relatively simple constructs with very limited needs. Humans are not driven to stay together by simple instructions in simple nerve centers. Without emotions say love for example, parents my provide offspring with food and shelter but little more. The child would seldom be held except for feeding and the changing of diapers but never simply because of the love of the parents for the child and the need to express it through physical connection and communication. The infant would not develop a sense of caring for it’s family and humans in general. A lack of empathy for the plight of others leads to a less effective society a less effective society dies.

This I believe held true in the past at least when humans lived in smaller less structured groups where maintaining a cohesive community wasn’t so much dependent upon infrastructure and rules and regulations so much as it was kept strong through emotional bonding.

Just a theory.
    Empathy developing out of attachment behaviour which ensure that babies survive beyond infancy?

Bowlby developed the theory first, out of a love for Darwin's theory of emotions in man and animals, then it got developed further by other theorists in their child observation studies and empirical research.

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    Empathy developing out of attachment behaviour which ensure that babies survive beyond infancy?

Bowlby developed the theory first, out of a love for Darwin's theory of emotions in man and animals, then it got developed further by other theorists in their child observation studies and empirical research.
    I didn’t say it was my theory. I remembered reading about it in an article dealing with serial killers and theories on possible causes for their sociopathic behavior.
    There is no mysterious essence we can call a 'place'. Place is change. It is motion killed by the mind, and preserved in the amber of memory.
    J. A. Baker

Tempbanned

Well this is a religious perspective mind you,

but if we were never sad, or angry, or downtrodden, we would never understand what it is to feel happy. Without emotions we cannot find pleasure in things.

So in essence, emotions exist so we can feel pleasure in life.
    Likes WatchlessThyme, DulcetRefrain liked this post

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

An emotionless life has little purpose. It gives the world meaning.
    Likes DulcetRefrain liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    An emotionless life has little purpose. It gives the world meaning.
    You see emotion as the only meaning in the world - everything else is meaningless? That dismisses quite a bit of the human experience.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Flâneuse liked this post

A Bittersweet Symphony... The Cat's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    478 sp/sx

I don't always believe emotions can be trusted, or are constructive; I try to never feel anything too strongly...

I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...

Pansexual

Non Binary/Gender Fluid
    Polyamorous

Bard/Rogue
    Chaotic Neutral
    Slytherin

4w3 7w6 8w9
    ESFP
    Sanguine/Full of Goo...Vision Goo.

Who knows what goes on in the mind of a cat?

Likes Lark, lightsun liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Jack View Post
    I don't always believe emotions can be trusted, or are constructive; I try to never feel anything too strongly...
    Agreed. At most they are part of the picture, a handful of data points among many others. They feed into the decision making process along with everything else, but should not drive it.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...